Official KCK Development Thread

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Official KCK Development Thread

Post by KCK »

This thread will be for miscellanious developments throughout Kansas City, Kansas, most of which will probably be smaller and not worthy of their own thread.

Anyway

http://www.kansascitykansan.com/article ... /news3.txt
Community Housing Wyandotte County, Inc., will break ground next week on Village of Fountains, an $8 million senior living campus located on the site of the former Bethany Medical Center.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Official KCK Development Thread

Post by KCK »

http://www.kansascitykansan.com/article ... /news5.txt
Days after a library opened in the Turner neighborhood, another library in Kansas City, Kan., may receive an upgrade - or a new facility - in the future.

On Tuesday at the KCK Board of Education meeting, two plans were outlined for the future of the Argentine branch of the KCK Public Library.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

6 New rowhouses planned for 4th and Armstrong on Strawberry Hill in KCK.

Link to the pdf file
http://www.wycokck.org/WorkArea/showcon ... x?id=12788

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

New Churches Chicken at 83rd and Parallel. HEll YEAH!!!!

Link to pdf file:
http://www.wycokck.org/WorkArea/showcon ... x?id=12010

KCK IS BACK!!!!
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

KCK wrote: 6 New rowhouses planned for 4th and Armstrong on Strawberry Hill in KCK.

Link to the pdf file
" Phase 2.  Sixty-five townhomes are slated for this phase ranging from $200,000 to $250,000.  The homes will be designed with a loft-like feel, offering both two- and three-bedroom floor plans and featuring second-floor martini decks. Units will be available for sale in early 2008."

the renderings look  awesome. I can't wait to see the final product. These are a more modern style with 3 stories, flat roofs, and roof top patios. The foundations for these have already been laid so we should see vertical construction soon.  They look similar to some of the new modern houses going up on the westside kcmo. This is part of about 65 townhomes to be developed throughout the Strawberry Hill district by CHWC.

On a side note the developer proposed hydraulic bollards, I am assuming similar to what KCMO put in the power and light district. The planning staff asked them to reconsider noting kc has the 3rd worst freeze thaw cycle in the country. They were concerned the future maintance costs would place an undue burden on the future homeowners.

And GRID keeps asking what we are doing east of 635. LOL

KCKS is really trying to seize the oppurtunity and capitalize on how overpriced new residential construction is becoming in dt kcmo by offering alternatives at lower price points but still close to all the action as the two downtowns are next to each other.
Last edited by justin8216 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I attended the grand opening ceremonies for the Turner Community Library. I'd  say there was at least 500 people. I was shocked by the turnout. I was a little disappointed the library is about half the size I thought it would be at about 4k sf i think. But most libraries start out small then as they grow in use a case is made for a bigger facility. I hope that sometime down the road that holds true for the Turner Library. Unless of course a much larger Argentine library that is capable of servicing the entire south kcKS region is built, in which the Turner Library's size would make it an excellent satalite location of a new "South Wyandotte" branch library.

For a new South Wyandotte Library to adequately serve the Armourdale, Rosedale, Argentine, and Turner communities ; it would need to be at least the size of the West Wyandotte library with all the same ammenities and resources.

As far as the Argentine Library is concerned? It is the closest library to me and I dread the thought of going there. It is the only remaining Carnegie Library in the KC metro. Which means it was built in 1917 and is way to small and obsolete. You can barely walk down the aisles.

I can't understand why south KCKS hadn't gotten a new library years ago. The Wyandotte West library is very large and one of the best library facilities in the Metro. It won architecture awards back when it was built in 1988. The downtown library is large, an older building but recently renovated.  the truth is the center of influence in our city is north of the KS river and from State Ave North to Leavenworth Rd as that is the area where the majority of the city's population resides.
And south KCKS is stuck with a 90 year old library building?

This is long overdue. I think it is best to keep it in Argentine. Aregentine is sandwiched in between Rosedale and Turner with Armoudale to the north accross the river (Armourdale is considered part of south KCKS even though it is north of the KS river) and makes it easy for all of South kcks to use.

I really think a new library is a great oppurtunity to revive the urban fabric of the Strong Ave. business district, the "mainstreet" of the once independent Argentine City that has seen better days.
Last edited by justin8216 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCK wrote: 6 New rowhouses planned for 4th and Armstrong on Strawberry Hill in KCK.

Link to the pdf file

There is no fifth destination.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

FangKC wrote: Image

I like the design, very modern.

Oh and justin, I am with you, they need a new library in Argentine, at least as nice as the west branch, which might I add is better than the DT library.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: Image

Now that's a project I can get excited about in KCK.  Sure, it's tiny, but this will be great for KCK.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Hopefully this is the just the first of many projects for KCK.  This could really get the ball rolling for redevelopment for KCK.
KC is the way to be!
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

Surely they won't tear the old library down?  It is so sad to see all the old Carnegie bldgs being lost.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Bigger library = more space for homeless people in the winter and summer. Unfortunately cannot have "no loitering" signs in a library.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Here in Topeka there is a 2 hour limit on the amount of time that anyone can spend on a computer in the library. This is what most of the people do when they go to the library around here. Fortunately I am using my own computer so there is no time limitations.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I saw a sign for a small, but good looking retail development on 18th just north of I-70 in Prescott, where the motel meth used to be. Any of you dotties want to post renderings. The design looked like nice street fronting 1-story retail, but maybe somebody has a sight plan. It be a shame to see the rather handsome renderings be plopped in the middle of a parking lot. It seems like there are some good, small scale, infill N.U. projects happening inside of 635 over the last few years. I hope the trend continues.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... l?ana=e_du

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:49 PM CDT

Nonprofit breaks ground on $8M senior housing project

Kansas City Business Journal
Community Housing Wyandotte County Inc. will break ground Wednesday on Village of Fountains, a senior living campus on the site of the former Bethany Medical Center.

The $8 million campus at 12th Street and Riverview Avenue in the Central Avenue Corridor in Kansas City, Kan., is the first of two developments planned for the 9.2-acre site, CHWC said in a release Tuesday. The campus will include a 59-unit assisted-living facility and 20 independent living units for low- to moderate-income seniors.

CHWC said the campus will be the first of its kind in KCK's urban core and will feature a park-like setting with walking trails and 11 fountains. Village of Fountains is expected to be completed by the spring of 2009.

The project's second phase will be a single-family housing development with 22 homes adjacent to the senior campus, designed to blend with the Village of Fountains site and add stability to the surrounding neighborhood, CHWC said. The $3.5 million second phase is anticipated to help stabilize the Central Avenue corridor through high-quality infill housing.
There is no fifth destination.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

chingon wrote: I saw a sign for a small, but good looking retail development on 18th just north of I-70 in Prescott, where the motel meth used to be. Any of you dotties want to post renderings. The design looked like nice street fronting 1-story retail, but maybe somebody has a sight plan. It be a shame to see the rather handsome renderings be plopped in the middle of a parking lot. It seems like there are some good, small scale, infill N.U. projects happening inside of 635 over the last few years. I hope the trend continues.
Supposed to be a grocery store there, but I'm not quite sure what else. Glad that old truck stop and the flea bag motel are gone.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

KCK wrote: Supposed to be a grocery store there, but I'm not quite sure what else. Glad that old truck stop and the flea bag motel are gone.
New chas ball sunfresh. 12k sf retail shops, 2 pads and a new hotel site.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

justin8216 wrote: New chas ball sunfresh. 12k sf retail shops, 2 pads and a new hotel site.
Here is the article

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... ily40.html
Progress began Friday on the first new grocery store built in Kansas City, Kan., since the late 1970s.

Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kan., officials held a groundbreaking for the $20 million Prescott Plaza, which includes a 42,000-square-foot Charles Ball Sunfresh Market, the Unified Government said in a release.

The 72,500-square-foot shopping center also will include a 12,000-square-foot mall and an upscale, 80- or 90-room hotel. Prescott Plaza is scheduled to open in September, Unified Government spokesman Edwin Birch said.

Portal Development, made up of ARO Real Estate and Coldwell Banker Commercial Fishman & Co. , is partnering with the Unified Government for the project, which is on a 17-acre tract at 18th Street Expressway and Interstate 70.

Prescott Plaza, which includes road improvements on several nearby streets, takes the place of a motel and an abandoned truck stop.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Apparently Wyandotte County doesn't have to get permission from the legislature to have a bi-state transit tax, and therefore could get in on the light rail proposal for KCMO easier. I'm not saying it will happen, but I am going to express my interest as a resident of Wyandotte county.

http://www.kccommunitynews.com/articles ... 992089.txt
Wyandotte County can pass a tax for transit without approval from the Kansas Legislature under a bistate transit agreement and optional tax under which buses used to operate.

"There's room for Wyandotte to join without legislation from Topeka," Funkhouser said.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Million dollar donation for a downtown KCK project.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/547966.html
KCK early-childhood center gets $1 million donation
By DAWN BORMANN
The Kansas City Star

Leaders at the nonprofit Children's Campus of Kansas City celebrated this week after learning they would receive $1 million from the Barton P. and Mary D. Cohen charitable fund.

The money is a major boost for the campus, which needs to raise an additional $3 million for the $15.5 million project, planned for Fifth Street and Minnesota Avenue in Kansas City, Kan. Construction is expected to begin in August.

KCK IS BACK!!!!