OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by moderne »

"Awful downtown residents" How so? They are just about the only corporate HQ to move DT this century and they are donating millions for the South Loop Project that is a block away from their building.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:56 pm "Awful downtown residents" How so? They are just about the only corporate HQ to move DT this century and they are donating millions for the South Loop Project that is a block away from their building.
From my vantage point, I've observed a distinct perspective. While they have established a headquarters in the heart of the city, it appears that maintaining its vitality hasn't been a priority. Participation in the vibrant pulse of downtown activities and engagement in neighborhood dynamics seem absent from their agenda. Zero priority.

An observable pattern emerges: their employees typically arrive by parking underground, proceed directly to their workspace, confine their meals to the premises, and exit once their tasks are done. This self-contained routine doesn't align with the envisioned purpose of a corporate downtown HQ, which anticipates that those who work within its walls will play an active role in nurturing the downtown's prosperity. This involvement entails residing in the vicinity, immersing in local hangouts, and actively contributing to the local economy.

While empirical evidence might be lacking, this impression has only been solidified over my 15-year's living downtown.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:53 pm
moderne wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:56 pm "Awful downtown residents" How so? They are just about the only corporate HQ to move DT this century and they are donating millions for the South Loop Project that is a block away from their building.
From my vantage point, I've observed a distinct perspective. While they have established a headquarters in the heart of the city, it appears that maintaining its vitality hasn't been a priority. Participation in the vibrant pulse of downtown activities and engagement in neighborhood dynamics seem absent from their agenda. Zero priority.

An observable pattern emerges: their employees typically arrive by parking underground, proceed directly to their workspace, confine their meals to the premises, and exit once their tasks are done. This self-contained routine doesn't align with the envisioned purpose of a corporate downtown HQ, which anticipates that those who work within its walls will play an active role in nurturing the downtown's prosperity. This involvement entails residing in the vicinity, immersing in local hangouts, and actively contributing to the local economy.

While empirical evidence might be lacking, this impression has only been solidified over my 15-year's living downtown.
When the only comps are pretty much the same if not just not downtown to begin with, it makes them the best.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:00 am
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:59 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:03 pm

Correction: Their complaint was they had a deal and that deal wasn't honored. Drawings and plans were underway, but not for office or residential.

And yes, usually when a developer enters into a long term, master development deal, they'd like complete control of the area they agreed to master develop.
HR Block always had rights to that area. Cordish got pissy because they tried to sublease them.

The point remains, cordish doesn't develop projects at the same time so this is all just academic. Cordish controls multiples spots all over, many more lucrative than this one.
Just not factual. H&R had the rights to build a second tower for 10 years. Those expired but they partnered with a developer and came up with Strata. The original deal was never intended for them to become landlords but to build a second HQ building to match or be sister building to existing tower. They didn’t even try and partner with Cordish, they went around them but they’ve always been awful downtown residents.

And, once again, Cordish is working on multiple projects in KC right now. There will likely be multiple projects at once consistently taking place over the next handful of years pending the economic landscape of course.
Let's post the master development agreement then?

Why is cordish so against people seeing it?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:33 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:59 am

HR Block always had rights to that area. Cordish got pissy because they tried to sublease them.

The point remains, cordish doesn't develop projects at the same time so this is all just academic. Cordish controls multiples spots all over, many more lucrative than this one.
Just not factual. H&R had the rights to build a second tower for 10 years. Those expired but they partnered with a developer and came up with Strata. The original deal was never intended for them to become landlords but to build a second HQ building to match or be sister building to existing tower. They didn’t even try and partner with Cordish, they went around them but they’ve always been awful downtown residents.

And, once again, Cordish is working on multiple projects in KC right now. There will likely be multiple projects at once consistently taking place over the next handful of years pending the economic landscape of course.

What are you talking about? I'm sure it's available to the public, there's never been a effort to hide this agreement and it would have absolutely been made public back when the city was making decisions. I'm not sure what exactly your are disagreeing with?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Last edited by DColeKC on Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DCole when are we gonna see anything for 4L?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:25 pm DCole when are we gonna see anything for 4L?
I'm avoiding answering any 4L timeline questions. It's so dependent on leasing progress of 3L.

My contact says it's in the design phase.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:21 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:33 pm

What are you talking about? I'm sure it's available to the public, there's never been a effort to hide this agreement and it would have absolutely been made public back when the city was making decisions. I'm not sure what exactly your are disagreeing with?
I know it's there, that's my point. If you think I'm wrong, post it.

You saying cordish will have multiple projects going over at once is so boring. They've never operated this way.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm one of the biggest supporters of the master development on here and also the one that reminds people that cordish develops on a very predictable time line.

My problem is you constantly making shit up about a project getting ready to start when it's not true.

It's just a load of bullshit and for some reason people think you have some connection with cordish when they want nothing to do with you.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

For people that think I'm being mean, just look at his past predictions. Cordish has asked him multiple times to stop doing this.

I'm just saying what always turns out to be reality.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

P.s. I’ve said wrong shit all the time, and I own it and say I got this wrong.

I have no problem with people talking about development and speculation and it not working out.

What I despise is people making shit up
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:52 pm For people that think I'm being mean, just look at his past predictions. Cordish has asked him multiple times to stop doing this.

I'm just saying what always turns out to be reality.
They have never asked me to say or not say anything. Why are you making these things up?

And please, tell me one thing. Just one, that I've made up. I'll wait.

I also have no problem admitting when I'm wrong which can clearly be seen all over this forum in other topics. Once again, for some reason this is personal for you towards me. It's completely unattached from reality.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

For the record, I stand by what I said.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:58 pm For the record, I stand by what I said.
For the record, you haven't said anything. You've only made accusations, very serious ones that come with no context or proof.

You get your way though, I will no longer comment on anything related to that developer on this forum.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I've talked to dcole privately and said I will no longer respond to what he says. I know people like him here so I won't get in the way of this forum.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:12 pm I've talked to dcole privately and said I will no longer respond to what he says. I know people like him here so I won't get in the way of this forum.
I'm glad you guys worked out your differences.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Had to speak up. The KCBJ had a neat article filed today, "Seven Projects Which May Transform KC's Downtown"

Please keep me honest:

When it is written that "Cordish" or other developer proposes a project; I say to myself, "Credible. That's going to be a good project."
When it is written that a project is proposed by Copaken Brooks; I say to myself, "Now there's a dead-end. Hype without substance." Like the commercial version of Flava-Flav: "Yeah, boyeeeeee!"

Yes, the ReVerb and Arterra projects did come to conclusion. I suggest this is an aberration.

Is this criticism without basis?

The greatest aggravation is the sheer quantity of high-visibility land Copaken squats on.

Watch Detroit very carefully; there is an experiment in-work: There is a movement by the Detroit city council to adjust the tax structure: The land will be assessed with a steep levy; the improvement (structure) less-so. Hence sitting on a surface parking lot in Detroit will become extremely expensive if it is not generating revenue/rents.

If successful, the CBD of Kansas City might pursue a similar tax structure; to deter "land banking".