OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by bspecht »

kenrbnj wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:46 am Watch Detroit very carefully; there is an experiment in-work: There is a movement by the Detroit city council to adjust the tax structure: The land will be assessed with a steep levy; the improvement (structure) less-so. Hence sitting on a surface parking lot in Detroit will become extremely expensive if it is not generating revenue/rents.

If successful, the CBD of Kansas City might pursue a similar tax structure; to deter "land banking".
Q has said he is following what's happening in Detroit and interested in it for KCMO. https://twitter.com/QuintonLucasKC/stat ... 4062199831
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by WoodDraw »

kenrbnj wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:46 am Had to speak up. The KCBJ had a neat article filed today, "Seven Projects Which May Transform KC's Downtown"

Please keep me honest:

When it is written that "Cordish" or other developer proposes a project; I say to myself, "Credible. That's going to be a good project."
When it is written that a project is proposed by Copaken Brooks; I say to myself, "Now there's a dead-end. Hype without substance." Like the commercial version of Flava-Flav: "Yeah, boyeeeeee!"

Yes, the ReVerb and Arterra projects did come to conclusion. I suggest this is an aberration.

Is this criticism without basis?

The greatest aggravation is the sheer quantity of high-visibility land Copaken squats on.

Watch Detroit very carefully; there is an experiment in-work: There is a movement by the Detroit city council to adjust the tax structure: The land will be assessed with a steep levy; the improvement (structure) less-so. Hence sitting on a surface parking lot in Detroit will become extremely expensive if it is not generating revenue/rents.

If successful, the CBD of Kansas City might pursue a similar tax structure; to deter "land banking".
Cordish has city built garages so it's far cheaper for them to build than copaken.

I'd love to see a tax on land banking though. There are a lot of lots that people would develop but the owner just sits on them.