Action in the West Bottoms

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Took a run through the bottoms this afternoon. For the last month or so, work has been continuing on the demolition of the old warehouse that is located between the triangle formed by I-70 and the north- and southbound ramps of I-35 to/from I-70. The freeways were essentially built around this building. The demo is going slow because they are working from the top down and salvaging all of the bricks and interior timbers.

Just about a block to the west, a new building is being constructed. I think this is for Faultless Starch, who has several buildings across the street.

I also noticed a scaffold haning from the side of the big concrete grain elevator building. Hard to tell what the purpose is, but this building is in pretty bad shape. Its by far the tallest building in the bottoms and is quite an eyesore right now.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

If the West Bottoms became a social area, I would get into pretty good shape walking back up 12th street to my apartment afterwards. Bring it on!
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Passed through there again recently. The big brick warehouse between the highways is down to the last floor or two. Work on the new Faultless Starch is continuing. They have demolished another building to the south of this new building. The tall, ugly concrete seed elevator building is being torn down as well now. Perhaps this space will be a parking lot for the new Faultless building?

There's quite a bit going on in the NE corner of the bottoms. Its good to see people making investments in this long-neglected part of town.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

i thought the "action" in the west bottoms you were talking about was the hookers cruzing 12th avenue. but the area is looking better.
"ALWAYS be closing"
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I dropped down to the West Bottoms last weekend to visit a new dance club - Club One 51.

It looked pretty unassuming when I entered, but after being patted down on the way in, I made my way to what is a pretty impressive space. A long, complete bar with several stations, a dance floor with a series of chest-rattling subwoofers, progressive VIP rooms on the second and third floors (not yet open).

It was pretty quiet at 9 but it got progressively more popular as the night went on. The drink specials were good ($1 Cap and Coke). It isn't exactly my scene, but it is a great addition to the West Bottoms, albeit in Kansas. :)