Foodies, step up and rep on Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Foodies, step up and rep on Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Post by KC0KEK »

If you know KC's best restaurants (e.g., 40 Sardines) and chefs (e.g., Celina Tio), please pitch yourself and KC at http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/A ... xtfmt=show. Considering the national recognition from Food & Wine, et al over the past couple of years, it's possible to make a compelling case for shooting an episode here. Maybe he can get Calvin Trillin to tag along.
Last edited by KC0KEK on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Foodies, step up and rep on Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Post by bbqboy »

He's been in KC before as part of his BBQ Triangle episode. Enjoyed it a lot.
  http://www.stage6.com/Cooks-Tour/video/ ... Q-Triangle
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

bbqboy wrote: He's been in KC before as part of his BBQ episode. Enjoyed it a lot.
Good. So maybe he'd be more inclined to come back and do a whole episode on KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I love his show. He had a really good time in Cleveland it seems. But he likes to go to off the beaten paths, not really the upscale places on his show. I can see him going to Grinders and of course Arthur Bryants, but where else would he go?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

He often hits upscale places, too, particularly in the recent Vancouver episode. In KC, he probably could hit places such as The American and Bluestem.
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

Cheesecake Factory!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC0KEK wrote: He often hits upscale places, too, particularly in the recent Vancouver episode. In KC, he probably could hit places such as The American and Bluestem.
That's because those places were owned by his buddies. The American does not seem like his kind of place at all. Maybe Bluestem. But he really looks for off-the-wall kind of places.

heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

How about Krause Dining Room in Lawrence?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: That's because those places were owned by his buddies. The American does not seem like his kind of place at all. Maybe Bluestem. But he really looks for off-the-wall kind of places.
yeah, he would hit off the beaten path places, he would not touch the american. i could see him trying le foux frog ( sp ) or something like that in a heartbeat.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: yeah, he would hit off the beaten path places, he would not touch the american. i could see him trying le foux frog ( sp ) or something like that in a heartbeat.
Would Pittsburgh be a good place for him? In Cleveland he hit an authentic Polish place which he seemed to really like. Seems like Pittsburgh would have a lot of good eastern european places like that.

And of course Pittsburgh has those awesome sandwiches.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

heatherkay wrote: How about Krause Dining Room in Lawrence?
Not in KC.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

dangerboy wrote: Not in KC.
From the level of resolution of the entire world (which is the area covered by the show), I think it's probably close enough.  A lot of the shows cover an area rather than a single city.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: Would Pittsburgh be a good place for him? In Cleveland he hit an authentic Polish place which he seemed to really like. Seems like Pittsburgh would have a lot of good eastern european places like that.

And of course Pittsburgh has those awesome sandwiches.
pittsburgh restaurants are inferior to topeka restaurants. one of the worst food cities i have ever been to in my life. amazes me at times that the city is so similar to kc yet 200 years behind.

now primanti brothers sandwiches................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kcdcchef wrote: pittsburgh restaurants are inferior to topeka restaurants. one of the worst food cities i have ever been to in my life. amazes me at times that the city is so similar to kc yet 200 years behind.

now primanti brothers sandwiches................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
What are some really good food cities from your experience?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

kcmetro wrote: What are some really good food cities from your experience?
for a city its size, kansas city is one of the best in america, i kid you not. when you put kansas city up against pittsburgh, cincy, cleveland, baltimore, indy, milwaukee, kc whips their ass on the restaurant scene, i kid you not.

now, overall, new york is what it is and so is chi-town, but to me the best restaurant cities in america are san francisco and boston, none better to me.

hidden treasure wise, richmond, virginia, had some of the best eating i had ever encountered. colonial williamsburg too, but richmond had some real eclectic, southern food places that were out of this world.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

kcdcchef wrote: boston
What do you think of Legal Sea Food?
kcdcchef wrote: hidden treasure wise, richmond, virginia, had some of the best eating i had ever encountered. colonial williamsburg too, but richmond had some real eclectic, southern food places that were out of this world.
How about Charleston or Savannah? Any thoughts on those?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I hear New Orleans is pretty good too. But perhaps it's more of a specialty city (gumbo, seafood)?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KC0KEK wrote: What do you think of Legal Sea Food?

How about Charleston or Savannah? Any thoughts on those?
i think for a chain legal is decent. not extensive time in savannah, but i did spend time in charleston when a chef buddy of mine from my WORLDS OF FUN DAYS was there, good food in charleston too. best food i ever had in the south was in biloxi, suprisingly enough, i had all these ideas of mississippi and hick idealisms, hillbilly lifestyle, and found some amazing food there.

www.marymahoneys.com

that place is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC0KEK wrote: How about Charleston or Savannah? Any thoughts on those?
The Savanah restaurant scene is dominated by restaurants owned by Paula Dean and her extended family - tasty but not very sophisticated - very down-homey "low country style" - think Shrimp n'Grits. 
kcmetro wrote: I hear New Orleans is pretty good too. But perhaps it's more of a specialty city (gumbo, seafood)?
Not just cajun/creole.  They have one of the biggest scenes for high-end french inspired food in the country.  Brennan's and Commander's Palace have been launching grounds for celebrity chef's for decades.  Susan Spicer, you name it - lots of top-notch foodie meccas. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

If Bourdain were to come here, he might go to one nice place - Le Fou Frog, Michael Smith, 1924 Main, Bluestem. The rest of his trip would consist of (a) a honky tonk place like Grinders or Woodswether Cafe; (b) a hole in the wall authentic Mexican place; (c) a soul food place on the East Side; and (d) Arthur Bryant's or Gates or Oklahoma Joe's. I would also bet he visits a farm, probably an organic farm in the area. He seems to like going to places where food is actually made and emphasizing "fresh food".

I don't really know what we could provide as far as activities. He shuns the touristy stuff. It would have to be something quirky.

He doesn't really do as many US cities as he does international cities though. If he were to do a regional show, it would be something like Kansas City/St. Louis, like he did for Seattle/Portland.