Election 2008

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Election 2008

Post by NDTeve »

Quoting someone is better than knowing them for 20 years. Imagine if McCain was in a radical Southern racist church where the preacher spewed hate as Wright did. Talk about backlash.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

guilty by association is a slippery slope. if it was such a big issue... why the sudden resurgence when mccain's poll numbers are down? it smacks of desperation and hypocrisy to claim you're running a campaign that looks to the future (as palin often does now while on the stump) while point to your opponent's past repeatedly.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

NDTeve wrote: Quoting someone is better than knowing them for 20 years.
i think quoting someone implies more of an alignment with that person's beliefs than just knowing someone b/c they live in the neighborhood and contribute to your campaign.  obama has rejected Ayers' past actions - what more could there be to talk about? 

i actually dont really care if Palin quotes Westbrook Pegler any more than i care about Obama and Ayers/Wright - it just shows (unsurprisingly) that she is a total hypocrite and that the McCain campaign is grasping at straws.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DaveKCMO wrote: guilty by association is a slippery slope. if it was such a big issue... why the sudden resurgence when mccain's poll numbers are down? it smacks of desperation and hypocrisy to claim you're running a campaign that looks to the future (as palin often does now while on the stump) while point to your opponent's past repeatedly.
Attack Blowback

Registered voters by a 24-point margin, 59-35 percent, now say McCain is more focused on attacking his opponent rather than addressing the issues. That’s grown from a roughly even 48-45 percent split on this question in late August.

There's far less criticism of the tone of Obama's campaign: Registered voters by 68-26 percent say he's mainly addressing the issues, not attacking his opponent, a slightly more positive rating than in August.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

chrizow wrote: i think quoting someone implies more of an alignment with that person's beliefs than just knowing someone b/c they live in the neighborhood and contribute to your campaign.  obama has rejected Ayers' past actions - what more could there be to talk about? 

i actually dont really care if Palin quotes Westbrook Pegler any more than i care about Obama and Ayers/Wright - it just shows (unsurprisingly) that she is a total hypocrite and that the McCain campaign is grasping at straws.
:lol:

Agree with you KCMax. McCain has become way too negative. I think people are getting sick of that tone.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

NDTeve wrote: Quoting someone is better than knowing them for 20 years. Imagine if McCain was in a radical Southern racist church where the preacher spewed hate as Wright did. Talk about backlash.
They'd probably "get in your face", and argue with you.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Maitre D wrote: They'd probably "get in your face", and argue with you.
that's a funny response coming from the most consistently confrontational member of this message board.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

DaveKCMO wrote: that's a funny response coming from the most consistently confrontational member of this message board.
So then, you're saying the Obamanites should like me since their candidate is only doing what I do?

Interesting!
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Maitre D wrote:
No, you're just WRONG phx.  Like you nearly always are.
Actually, disagreeing with you on most issues shows that I am nearly always right!  Considering that I gave a good, reasoned explanation for my point of view and defended it against a good, reasoned disagreement (not from you), and all you have to say is, "No, your just wrong", I would say that most would say that I was right.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

in addition to booing her, the Flyers fans should have pelted her with ripe, juicy tomatoes.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

NDTeve wrote: Convicted felons (outnumbering Repub voters more than 2 to 1) are registered voters in FL...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 2352.story

I doubt you'll see any crying about "stolen elections" unlike some others.
the question here is, if you are going to make a mistake, on which side would you rather error?  Would you rather cast a larger net, risking taking non-felons off the voter rolls, or those whose civil rights had been restored?  Or would you rather make the mistake of allowing a few convicted felons to vote?  In this case, it would still be one man one vote, and I just skimmed through the article, but it doesn't appear that the felons who are registering are the type who wouldn't normally have their civil rights restored, just that they didn't understand the process.  Ultimately, this one is on the state system for not cleaning up their own house and also brings up the question of whether, as the guy at the end of the article says, criminals who have served their time should be kept off the rolls? 
NDTeve wrote: Didn't take much to read between those lines advocrat..

This concerning to anyone (probably not)...10,000 fraudulent voter registrations by ACORN:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2008 ... 0/NEWS0104

ACORN needs to change their methods so that they are not paying per name.  However, this is a relatively minor issue.  Registration fraud and voter fraud are two completely different things.  The biggest right wing bogyman out there, illegal aliens rushing to the polls, doesn't happen.  Also, the people who register as Donald Duck are not going to show up to vote.  There is no evidence that ACORN is culpable.  The people who are registering voters are, and they are stealing from ACORN!  It is simply not a real issue.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

chrizow wrote: in addition to booing her, the Flyers fans should have pelted her with ripe, juicy tomatoes.
Good thing she wasn't in Detroit!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

"Saturday Night Live" ran a spoof of the financial crisis that skewered Democrats like House Financial Services Chairman Barney Frank and liberal contributors Herbert and Marion Sandler, who sold toxic-waste-filled Golden West to Wachovia Bank for $24 billion. Kind of surprising, but not for long. The tape of the broadcast disappeared from NBC's Web site and was replaced with another that omitted the references to Mr. Frank and the Sandlers. Evidently NBC and its parent, General Electric, don't want people to hear speech that attacks liberals.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

there needs to be some sort of "godwin's law" for when conservatives complain about what fucking saturday night live does. 

seriously, what a stupid article.  obama and liberals are against "free speech?"  when it comes out that the government censored SNL b/c of its political content, let me know.  once again, Real Clear Politics fails.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

ha!

Post by Maitre D »

You're making a mockery of yourself here, Chriz:

chrizow wrote: seriously, what a stupid article.  obama and liberals are against "free speech?"  when it comes out that the government censored

In September, St. Louis County Circuit Attorney Bob McCulloch and St. Louis City Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce warned citizens that they would bring criminal libel prosecutions against anyone who made statements against Mr. Obama that were "false." I had been under the impression that the Alien and Sedition Acts had gone out of existence in 1801-'02. Not so, apparently, in metropolitan St. Louis.

Similarly, the Obama campaign called for a criminal investigation of the American Issues Project when it ran ads highlighting Mr. Obama's ties to Mr. Ayers.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the AIP has engaged in some questionable advertising to say the least, some of which could be elections law violations.  there is no reason why the Obama campaign shouldn't ask law enforcement to look into it. 

as far as the St. Louis folks, i thought it was well-known by now that, while some St. Louis area prosecutors are Obama supporters and vow to be on Obama's informal "truth squad" to combat false attacks against Obama, the prosecutors are on the record saying they do not plan to actually file any charges for libel.  i guess the conservative blogs didn't post this rather important follow-up point after sounding the (false) alarms. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Another Dem, NAILED on a sex scandal:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5997043&page=1

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

MD can you shoot me the link for the "jerking off" emoticon you use so often?  i need it to provide MD-esque commentary on your posts these days. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: "Saturday Night Live" ran a spoof of the financial crisis that skewered Democrats like House Financial Services Chairman Barney Frank and liberal contributors Herbert and Marion Sandler, who sold toxic-waste-filled Golden West to Wachovia Bank for $24 billion. Kind of surprising, but not for long. The tape of the broadcast disappeared from NBC's Web site and was replaced with another that omitted the references to Mr. Frank and the Sandlers. Evidently NBC and its parent, General Electric, don't want people to hear speech that attacks liberals.
Heh, this was debunked last week. NBC pulled it temporarily because of concerns that the subtitle "people who should be shot" in reference to the Sandlers would get them into legal trouble. The sketch is available here, complete with Sandler and Frank.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/ ... ut/727521/
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

another winner from RealClearPolitics that was debunked before they even wrote the piece.  MD with another home run!