St. Joseph in our metro? Anyone think...

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Does anyone think St. Joe and Buchanan county will ever join kc's metro? just wondering.
If so, when?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

One day the suburbs will sprawl from KC to Topeka out West, KC to St. Joseph up North, KC to Odessa out East and KC to Harrisonville down South. I hope this day never comes because sprawl absolutely sucks ass! Anyhow, St. Joseph has too precious of a history to be known as part of the KC Metro. So does Topeka.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

i don't think anyone in st. joe really would care to join the metro anyway- i mean it's not like you say, "everyone who wants to join the KC metro say 'I'" but what i mean is people in st. joe would probably rather GO to KC than actually be PART of it. they really like to consider themselves their own entity of northwest MO.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Personally I think you can have suburban housing connecting from KC to Omaha, but there has to be a point where you say that the population of the immediate metro itself dictates what the extending metro should be. That'd be like sayin' the entire East Coast is a metro of NYC. If the population of Jackson, Clay, Platte, Johnson and Wyandotte were 5 million combined, then I think it's safe to say that the extended metro should include St. Joe.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Yeah they are for practical purposes, if not officially in the census. Especially as the Northland has grown more and more people are commuting between the two areas and there were already strong ties between the two. Heck, St. Joe is closer to KCI than Olathe or Lee's Summit.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:Heck, St. Joe is closer to KCI than Olathe or Lee's Summit.
Then again, KCI is in a ridculous place.

kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

KCI also takes up a rediculous amount of space too. they own from i-29 to 435 in the west to nearly 152 to the south. they don't want residents ANYWHERE near that airport, and they keep buying more land too.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

That's better than Lambert, which is surrounded by people and is trying ti kick them out so it can expand. KCI is in a ridiculous place, but they do have room to be flexible.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
dangerboy wrote:Heck, St. Joe is closer to KCI than Olathe or Lee's Summit.
Then again, KCI is in a ridculous place.
Where would you have put it? If it went to Joco then people in Liberty would say it was in a ridiculous location. You can't please everyone. Besides, Joco wants passenger service at the Olathe airport, so some day maybe you won't have to be bothered by driving to KCI.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:Where would you have put it? If it went to Joco then people in Liberty would say it was in a ridiculous location. You can't please everyone. Besides, Joco wants passenger service at the Olathe airport, so some day maybe you won't have to be bothered by driving to KCI.
First off, I'm not the represenative for JOCO on this forum. I've lived near Independence Avenue & Noland Road in Independence, 39th Street & Rainbow in KCK, 9th Street & Southwest Blvd in KCK, 5th Street & Minnesota in KCK, 42nd Street and Metropolitan in KCK before moving to JOCO to be near our jobs.

Second, why and the hell would I want KCI in JOCO? KCI needs to be in KC...but the current location isn't convenient for the bulk of the metro population. At the time KCI was built, there was plenty of land between I-29 and Parkville (south of 45)...between I-435 and 291 (south of 210)...between Pleasant Valley and Gladstone (south of 152)...between Chouteau Trafficway and I-435 (south of the river)...between I-70 and 23rd Street (west of I-435)...and between I-70 and Raytown (east of the Sports Complex).

Anyhow, it's too late now...but I'll still say it's in a ridiculous location.

Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

The Kansas City Area Development OCuncil defines the KC Metro area as 17 counties and roughly 35 communities (including St. Joe). www.smartkc.com
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

hell look at Denvers CMSA....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

well it says we have 11 counties in our MSA and 17 in the Greater Kansas City Area.
I was wondering cause it would add alot of ppl to the metro and since we have 2 counties directly next to it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't think so, I think that it could be added to some sort of regional MSA, but it does not make much sense to add it to the KC metro. It's important to our city, but it's still it's own self sustaining area for the most part. Lawrence is a different story. It's closer, has more commuting traffic and the college is heavily tied to the KC area. KC is already adding two counties to it's MSA including Warrensburg which is like Lawrence on a smaller scale. That will push KC's population to over 1.9 million without Lawrence and StJoe. It would be nice to add Douglas just to officially get our population above two million for marketing reasons etc, but it doesn't really matter since KC will hit 2 million within the decade anyway.

I did not know that Lawrence and StJoe are so close in population as shown in this chart:

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think a great location for an international airport in Kansas City is exactly where it was: downtown. There is enough room in that immediate area for at least an effective regional airport. Instead, it's a space-wasting, antiquated, deteriorating shell of what it could be, used almost entirely for executive purposes.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

bahua wrote:I think a great location for an international airport in Kansas City is exactly where it was: downtown. There is enough room in that immediate area for at least an effective regional airport. Instead, it's a space-wasting, antiquated, deteriorating shell of what it could be, used almost entirely for executive purposes.
No way an international airport could be squeezed into the Downtown airport. It would take out the Broadway Extension, a major connection between Downtowna and the Northland. Plus, the FAA would never allow it. In fact, in the past they have threatened to close Downtown Airport because there isn't enough room for safe zones at the ends of the runways (MO River is on two sides) and the approach paths are too close to the skyscrapers.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

dangerboy wrote: No way an international airport could be squeezed into the Downtown airport. It would take out the Broadway Extension, a major connection between Downtowna and the Northland. Plus, the FAA would never allow it. In fact, in the past they have threatened to close Downtown Airport because there isn't enough room for safe zones at the ends of the runways (MO River is on two sides) and the approach paths are too close to the skyscrapers.
i've flown into laguardia several times(near 4 or 5 i suppose) and it is VERY close to large skyscrapers. skyscrapers much larger than KCs