Seiden's Furs Appears to Be Closing

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Seiden's Furs Appears to Be Closing

Post by FangKC »

..The building was completed in 1874, originally as home to the Brackett Brothers Drugstore. Seiden’s Furs opened in 1921 and became one of the Central Business District’s oldest businesses before it shut its doors in 2007. ...

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... sally.html
One of the oldest commercial buildings remaining downtown, and certainly inside the Downtown Loop.

310 Delaware retail building (1866-67) aka Coates Theater
Pacific House Hotel (1868)
Major William Warner mansion, 1021 Pennsylvania (1868)
Tootle, Hanna & Leach Dry Goods Building, 412 Delaware (1869)
H.H. Morgan & Co. Building, 308 Delaware (1869-73)
Cromwell Lofts, 528 Walnut (1871)
1070 Washington house (1870s)
St. Patrick's Church, 8th & Cherry (1874-75)
Brackett Brothers Drugstore/Seiden Fur Building (1874)
First Board of Trade Building, 500 Delaware (1877)
Fifth Street (Delmonico) Hotel at 5th and Broadway (1879)
Deere, Mansur & Company, 1104‐1106 Santa Fe Street (1879)

It appears to be the oldest commercial building inside the Downtown Loop though.
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:54 pm What should it be?
Coffee shop and diner.

Dave, does it appear the entire roof structure is compromised, or do they just need to replace the section that is collapsed?

How bad is the water damage under the collapsed section?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Two years of full on water intrusion and pigeon shit, so I'll say the second floor and all of the interior finishes aren't salvageable. I don't know what Chris paid, but I hope it wasn't anywhere near the guy's asking price that was reported several years ago.

The hidden stained glass might be salvageable since it's been covered up on both sides by wood paneling forever, but I didn't see it myself.

This is exactly what incentives should be used for!
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:16 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:54 pm What should it be?
Coffee shop and diner.

Dave, does it appear the entire roof structure is compromised, or do they just need to replace the section that is collapsed?

How bad is the water damage under the collapsed section?
I agree some sort of coffee shop, dining/eatery for the area would be nice. Just don't know if it would last. Beyond the Quaff & Majestic, that corner has seen places go in and out ever since the old Tanners closed. But I think there are enough residents who live very close that would like some more options right there.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

This is a huge relief, but I’d love if we were able to keep things from getting this bad. Vacant buildings in a downtown are typical, but ruins are dangerous
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:24 am Two years of full on water intrusion and pigeon shit, so I'll say the second floor and all of the interior finishes aren't salvageable. I don't know what Chris paid, but I hope it wasn't anywhere near the guy's asking price that was reported several years ago.

The hidden stained glass might be salvageable since it's been covered up on both sides by wood paneling forever, but I didn't see it myself.

This is exactly what incentives should be used for!
I'm sure once the owners realized they were going to get billed for the demo, their price went down a bit.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

It's sad to see that the interior had that much original(?) ceiling ornament left. Probably irreparable at this point...
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:41 am
It's sad to see that the interior had that much original(?) ceiling ornament left. Probably irreparable at this point...
You can still get the tin ceiling from Nevada, MO. It can be repaired and/or replaced.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A 'Justice League' assembles in KC to save the Seiden's Furs building
Chris Sally says he probably shouldn't have been scrolling through Twitter on a recent Saturday. But as it turns out, had it not been for the local developer's social media browsing, the oldest remaining historic building in Kansas City's Downtown Loop might have been reduced to rubble.

Sally, of Iconic Development, put the 149-year-old Seiden's Furs building at 935 Broadway under contract June 13, three days after a tweet alerted him to city plans to demolish it after almost two years on its Dangerous Buildings list. In the weeks since, he's assembled what he described as an all-star team of historic preservationists to give the long-vacant structure its best possible shot at new life through an adaptive reuse project.
Sally said the Seiden's Furs building could be renovated with one or more retail or restaurant tenants. With that reuse, early economic projections he commissioned suggest that the 0.08-acre property could generate $160,000 in property and $680,000 in sales taxes over the life of a 10-year abatement, compared to $60,000 in property taxes if the building were demolished.
Sally also has agreed to buy a 14-space parking lot on the block.

Members of Sally's group said that the Seiden's Furs building is not "saved," but rather has a temporary reprieve from the wrecking ball.

The building is in a state of extensive disrepair; a partial roof collapse for years has exposed its interior to the elements, and a large neon sign hangs partially detached from its exterior over the sidewalk.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... reuse.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There needs to be a permanent rescue team assembled that exists to intervene in situations like this very quickly. It can't be Historic Kansas City because that organization just doesn't do that sort of thing. They would need to work closely with the City to identify the most at-risk buildings -- maybe having a liaison person work with the City's building inspection and code enforcement department. They would identify when the structure is becoming dangerous in time to act to save it.

Once they get this situation resolved, they need to turn their eyes to 911 Linwood.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0688057 ... ?entry=ttu
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

HKC is indeed very busy preserving Westport and the Plaza in amber.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Whatever they decide to do with the Seiden's Fur building, please don't paint the brick!

https://twitter.com/seanw_m/status/1675 ... 04546?s=20

On local real estate listings, I'm seeing a lot of old brick houses, and brick facade houses, being painted to "freshen them up." If you are looking for a house, and see this, be warned of the consequences. Make sure it was painted with a paint that can breathe.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandh ... 724-29742\

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1078716 ... ?entry=ttu

More about painted brick.

https://www.houselogic.com/remodel/pain ... ick-house/
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Iconic Development and Multistudio seems like a very good team to save this one. I can't really think of much better for urban fabric.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Barriers are up in the street on Broadway and 10th and clean out of the building has started. There’s a big dumpster on 10th quickly filling up.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder what happened to the Seiden's Furs' mannequins? Those need to be put on display again in the renovated building, or some other location with windows facing the street. They were Kansas City fixtures for years (see what I did there? LOL).

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Update. Chris Sally is expecting to be ready for tenants next Spring.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=64 ... 2450366132
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'm happy this is chugging along. I'm hoping that the first floor becomes a 24-hour convenience market. If I want something, or need something, late at night, I have to drive to QT or CVS in North KC or drive to QT on Southwest. I rather just walk and this is close enough by where I'd gladly. And with all those lofts and houses nearby, this would likely be a money maker.

Maybe even have it be one of those Amazon stores where you scan your phone and walk out.

Upstairs could be a solid place for a museum (like others have mentioned before). Granted I think the more likely thing will be an office. Either way, great work to Chris Sally on rushing to save this property.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Sally could build a specialty real estate business called Building ER whose mission is to rescue buildings facing demolition.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:22 pm Chris Sally could build a specialty real estate business called Building ER whose mission is to rescue buildings facing demolition.
Be what I wish Historic KC was