New stadium for the Cardinals to break ground in October

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Stadium financing is close, Cards say
by Doug Moore
Post-Dispatch
09/16/2003

online source: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument

The Cardinals plan to break ground on a new stadium as soon as Oct. 15 as team owners continue to put the finishing touches on private financing that is to serve as the largest part of funding for the more than $400 million project.

"We expect to close on the financing perhaps as early as next month," Cardinals President Mark Lamping said this week. Construction could begin anywhere from immediately after the ceremonial groundbreaking through the end of October. Once the private financing is secured, actual construction will begin to keep the project on schedule, team owners said.

Financing for the project previously had stalled as:

The first company hired to raise money was fired.

The portion of the money to come from St. Louis County has not yet been requested.

Because of that, the removal of a highway entrance ramp that sits in the path of where the stadium is to be built has been delayed.

While the Cardinals remain adamant that they can get the new ballpark open by April 2006, the owners concede that the later the money comes together, the more expensive the project could get as contractors move to an aggressive construction schedule that has crews at the site around the clock.

"The way we view this is, until we move off opening day of 2006, we don't think the exact date of closing on the financing is all that important," Lamping said. "We're well within where we need to be to be open in 2006 and expect to stay to that schedule."

Dean Bonham, who runs a sports marketing and consulting company in Denver calls the Cardinals' construction schedule "very aggressive, but realistic."

Team officials want to have the money in the bank before announcing which investors are financing the project, Lamping said.

Banc of America Securities is responsible for finding about $75 million in equity investors for the project.

An additional $150 million would be borrowed by the company that commits to build and own the stadium. The investors would lease the stadium to the Cardinals. The team is pitching in $50 million.

St. Louis County has agreed to kick in $45 million, but the County Council has taken no formal vote on how the money will be paid.

The balance of the money will come from the city eliminating a ticket tax and from state tax credits.

Until financing is secured, the deal is too risky for the St. Louis County to put up money, county leaders have said.

"We've heard informally through the grapevine that they are very close and that we will hear from them in a matter of days," said Jim Baker, director of administration for St. Louis County. "Everything we've heard is that we'll hear a lot more shortly."

Once a formal request is made, it would take a minimum of three weeks to get final approval from the County Council, said Baker. It will take another five weeks before the county could get the bonds sold. Under that time frame, the money might not be in the hands of the Cardinals until the end of the year.

As long as the council has agreed to provide the money, the Cardinals would proceed with construction plans, team owners have said. The Cardinals are also holding off on announcing an exact date until the baseball season ends.

He added that the team has met three essential elements to securing private financing by:

Negotiating a long-term cable agreement to broadcast more Cardinals games. The number of games per year on cable jumps to 110 from 89.

Securing 10-year commitments from companies to purchase 30 of the 63 suites planned for the ballpark. The team has presold 52 suites.

Arranging for a long-term agreement with a concessionaire to handle food and beverage sales.

"Essentially, it's a done deal," Lamping said. "What we needed to show evidence of was our ability to increase our revenue to support the annual ($14 million) payment," that the Cardinals will make to the ballpark owner, he said.

Naming rights for the stadium have been set aside to focus on "agreements critical to financing," Lamping said.

Because financing was not in place by Sept. 1, the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission canceled a $273,000 contract to tear down the Eighth Street entrance ramp to U.S. Highway 40 (Interstate 64) to clear the path for the new stadium. A Missouri Department of Transportation spokesman said that a new contract would be awarded in December. Lamping said a delay in bringing down the ramp would not affect the team's construction schedule.

"There have been no new developments over the last six or seven months that changed that at all," Lamping said. In April, the Cardinals fired the company it had hired to help secure private financing. Team owners were concerned about being linked to Property Funding Group after one of the managers of the Washington firm was named a federal terrorism investigation.

In July, the Cardinals announced that they had revised the design of the stadium so construction would be less disruptive during the 2005 season and save the team money by keeping Busch Stadium fully intact during that year of play.

The total ballpark price of just more than $400 million includes the highway ramp replacement, utility relocation and other infrastructure improvements.

Pulitzer Inc., which owns the Post-Dispatch, and Pulitzer's chairman, Michael E. Pulitzer, are part-owners of the Cardinals. Their combined stake is slightly less than 4 percent.

Next steps

Cardinals must secure $75 million more in equity investors.

Investors borrow $150 million more.

Once that private financing is in place, the St. Louis County Council is to sell $45 million in bonds

Image Image
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

great news for StL

Almost makes me wish we would have built a ugly multi-purpose cookie cutter stadium in the 70's instead of being forward thinking in building seperate stadiums.

Now our place is too nice to tear down but in a bad location......can't wait to see what springs up around the new STL ballpark.....should be fun.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yea, this is awesome news. Mabey by the time you get your third new stadium built, we will "announce" plans for an arena.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:great news for StL

Almost makes me wish we would have built a ugly multi-purpose cookie cutter stadium in the 70's instead of being forward thinking in building seperate stadiums.

Now our place is too nice to tear down but in a bad location......can't wait to see what springs up around the new STL ballpark.....should be fun.
Busch is far from "ugly". You must be thinking of the Vet or Three Rivers. However, I will readily agree there are more attractive stadiums out there than Busch.

It IS too bad KC didn't use foresight when building Royals Stadium. I yearn for a nice, sunny businessman's special blocks away from my place of employment downtown. Oh well.....maybe sometime down the road. I think most of us agree on that. 8)
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

GRID wrote:Yea, this is awesome news. Mabey by the time you get your third new stadium built, we will "announce" plans for an arena.
That would be great. I'd love to go see the Blues spank the KC Scouts...or whatever the new NHL franchise will call the new arena home.

Me and 5,000 or so other KC area hockey fans are gonna LOVE that new arena....until hockey packs it's bags yet again.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote:Yea, this is awesome news. Mabey by the time you get your third new stadium built, we will "announce" plans for an arena.
And we'll probably be doing it all on our own, without much support from the state of Missouri or a contribution from Kansas either.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

dangerboy wrote:
And we'll probably be doing it all on our own, without much support from the state of Missouri or a contribution from Kansas either.
Did you READ the article? I'm thinking you didn't from the comment you made about Missouri taxpayer support.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Busch Stadium = ugly stadium built for 2 sports (no difference between all those cookie cutters), great location

Kauffman Stadium = Top 5 baseball stadium (espn page2 rankings), terrible location

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

StL_Dan wrote:
dangerboy wrote:And we'll probably be doing it all on our own, without much support from the state of Missouri or a contribution from Kansas either.
Did you READ the article? I'm thinking you didn't from the comment you made about Missouri taxpayer support.
Yeah I read the article. It says state tax credits, but doesn't mention an amount. The City of St. Louis' web site says that the state is contributing up to $7 million per year for 30 years, or $210 million.
http://stlcin.missouri.org/devprojects/ ... &isEnter=1
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

the ballpark itsself will cost about 400M. Private financing will cover about 275M of that. Another 45M will come from StL County. The rest, about 80M (20%), from the state of MO.

State involvement is nice since the new stadium will undoubtedly add millions of taxable revenue to the state coffers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

wish we could get 20% for our arena plan.....which will also add money to the state coffers...but some stl legislator thought they would throw in the "can't use this for large arenas" part of MoDesa...thanks.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:wish we could get 20% for our arena plan.....which will also add money to the state coffers...but some stl legislator thought they would throw in the "can't use this for large arenas" part of MoDesa...thanks.
KC sports scene....always the victim of big bad StL politicians.... :roll:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

who said that? At the end of MoDesa, a STL legislator (who STL probably doesn't even like for sports stuff) threw that part in there and threw off our financing.....

I didn't mean it bad actually, I'm impressed how STL has gotten their financing together for the new ballpark...20% in TIF type money is a solid investment by the state.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC....I briefly read the entire MoDesa pdf, but couldn't find the portion you referenced. Can you point me in the right direction?
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

here we go again with STL-KC thang. My take....

The St. Louis politician put that in there because no state money was used for Savvis Center. Which will then lead to but a ton of money was used for the Edwards Jones Dome. Which I respond the state of Missouri has kicked in $7 million/yr since the late 60's for The Truman Sports Complex. Which will lead to yea but the State gave St. Louis a huge sum of money for the dome and now tax credits for a baseball stadium. Which I respond with.

Jackson- 655,000
Clay- 188,000
Platte- 76,000
Cass- 85,000

Total: Around 1 Million

St. Louis City- 339,000
St. Louis County- 1,000,000
Jefferson- 201,000
St. Charles- 296,000

Total- 1.8 million

There's your answer!
Calling a spade a spade.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Jebus H!! I didn't mean to start this debate. I was just pointing out the current rumors regarding arena financing don't include any state or bi-state financing, yet we are will mostly likely get it built anyway. It was just a comment about our ability to do it on our own. There is no question that St. Louis has more clout and therefore gets more state money. Their Missouri-side population is bigger and all of their wealthy suburbs are in-state. It's a well-known fact, what's the argument?

StL_Dan, it was Rep. Wayne Good of St. Louis that added an amendment to MODESA prohibiting it's use for any arena over 10,000 seats.
http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... rial1.html
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I'm all for the arena state help or no state help. The question is do you go to KCMO voters or Jackson County voters? It will pass inside KCMO in Jackson County but you need more funding than that.
Calling a spade a spade.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ShowME wrote:I'm all for the arena state help or no state help. The question is do you go to KCMO voters or Jackson County voters? It will pass inside KCMO in Jackson County but you need more funding than that.
Mayor Barnes still seems to be saying that revenue from the entertainment district can fund the arena, without a tax increase, but we'll have to wait for the final report to see proof of that. If there is a tax it should be bi-state. A regional facility of this importance should be shared burden.