OFFICIAL - Embassy Suites (former Federal Reserve)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL - Embassy Suites (former Federal Reserve)

Post by kcjak »

How long has this debacle been going on with turning it into an Embassy Suites? And what's up with the Hampton being completely closed for renovations? It doesn't seem like it's been open long enough to need a full-scale reno where they couldn't just close one floor at a time.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hampton had a huge electrical plumbing disaster a couple winters back. Complete rebuild inside. It's getting close, I'd guess summer at latest
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I work for Commerce with my office downtown in the old Building. I can confirm that there have been crews at the Hampton at least working every day for the last 6-9 months maybe more. Looks like they are re-doing every guest room and just about the entire inside of the structure. But I would suspect it will be open by the this summer. My guess is they tried to shoot for the draft but missed badly and now they are wanting to get established and have a "veteran" staff by the time World Cup roles into town
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I should clarify. Obviously, all these buildings have plans for the future, but the longer they stay empty, the more damage they’ll suffer while unoccupied. Walk past any of these structures and you’ll see crumbling terracotta and other damage. The old fed lost a whole panel of stone that crushed street furniture a while back. Dangerous stuff
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This building has sat empty for 15 years.

Former Federal Reserve building faces another ticking clock for conversion into Embassy Suites
"We have one more year to pull the trigger, and if we don't, then we're out," Lewis Rice LLC attorney Doug Stone, representing Delta Quad, told zoning board members. "We would ask that you give us this opportunity to continue to try to put this package together."

Stone said the developer, which is affiliated with Michigan-based Roos Enterprises Inc., had encountered challenges arranging financing for its conversion during the pandemic. It since has seen more activity, with recent developments Stone said warranted the one-year permit extension, though he did not elaborate at the meeting.
Before Tuesday's zoning meeting, the project had seen no public movement in about two years, though a few potential signs of life surfaced earlier this year. In March, Delta Quad received new short-term loans and saw three firms release mechanic's liens or lis pendens notices against the historic property. Kansas City also removed the structure from its Dangerous Buildings list almost three years since its initial inclusion, after determining from a re-inspection that falling limestone no longer was a concern.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... 2023-07-13
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Will be sitting with no movement in a year. Shouldn’t have extended the permit.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I wonder if they would’ve had an easier time if this was residential.

Or, maybe, a developer with a track record of getting things done. Between this and the Scarritt, they should’ve been done by now but developers with little experience with these things really screw the situation up.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, had it been residential, and in the hands of an experienced developer, it would have been done by now.

However, this building does have a nice lobby that would be a shame to not be engaged in a public way. A hotel does make sense in that regard.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... hotel.html
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Mixed use maybe?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have a feeling that they won't get it financed and it will be put up for sale again. Ron Jury could probably get it turned into a hotel, but I doubt he'd want to be involved.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The building had some visitors today. Likely urban explorers since they were sitting on the top ledges.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No idea if this means anything positive but there are emergency no parking signs on that side of the street as of yesterday.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Biz journal article today says this could switch to apartments and start this fall with some new foreign investors.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:48 pm Biz journal article today says this could switch to apartments and start this fall with some new foreign investors.
Hope is to be complete by late 2025
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Good news I guess, but Downtown really needs more hotels, especially on that side of downtown. Seemed like a perfect fit for an Embassy Suites. Covid was probably nail in the coffin though as CBD hotels are still struggling.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Get this, Palace Clothing building, and Scarrit all fixed up into residential.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:20 pm Good news I guess, but Downtown really needs more hotels, especially on that side of downtown. Seemed like a perfect fit for an Embassy Suites. Covid was probably nail in the coffin though as CBD hotels are still struggling.
The story says KC hotel market not quite back to pre-covid levels but getting close. It's probably too many rooms for right in that area especially with the Marriott now opening across the street. half residences half hotel would have been cool
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:22 pm Get this, Palace Clothing building, and Scarrit all fixed up into residential.
Exactly, whatever it takes to get them occupied asap
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:28 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:20 pm Good news I guess, but Downtown really needs more hotels, especially on that side of downtown. Seemed like a perfect fit for an Embassy Suites. Covid was probably nail in the coffin though as CBD hotels are still struggling.
The story says KC hotel market not quite back to pre-covid levels but getting close. It's probably too many rooms for right in that area especially with the Marriott now opening across the street. half residences half hotel would have been cool
Yeah, getting it restored and open is a higher priority. It can always be renovated later into something else, but the longer it sits vacant, the higher chance it's never renovated.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Would be ideal if ground floor used as commercial space so the public can enjoy the stately lobby