Denver hasn't slowed down

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Denver hasn't slowed down

Post by GRID »

As I prepare to head out to Denver for a photog gig, I noticed that they continue to throw up towers at quite an amazing pace.

Here is what is going up, just the big towers:

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Denver hasn't slowed down

Post by AllThingsKC »

Are all of those towers under construction right now?  Or are some still "proposed"?

Either way, that's still pretty impressive for Denver.  I hope KC will be at that point within the next 5-10 years.
KC is the way to be!
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Very impressive. I wish that T Town would alow buildings to be built this tall. All the higher buildins can be built is below the height of Ad Astras Bow.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

anniewarbucks wrote: Very impressive. I wish that T Town would alow buildings to be built this tall. All the higher buildins can be built is below the height of Ad Astras Bow.
Yeah, that'll be the day....when Topeka is building high-rise condos for its sophisticated citizens.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

1st rendering is the Denver Spire and that building is under construction and is set to be completed in 2009.

2nd rendering is the Proposed 4 Seasons Hotel
Other rendering here: http://www.denverinfill.com/images/blog ... asons2.jpg

3rd rendering is the Great Gulf Group Tower. They are building a sales center on hte property first and if sales go as well as they hope this tower will rise fairly soon. Here is a link to the buildings website http://www.1401lawrence.com/

4th rendering is The Pinnacle at City Park and is half way through construction.

5th is One Lincoln Park and is half way completed as well. And here is there website http://www.onelincolnparkdenver.com/index.html

The last rendering is a plan that has been around since the early 1980's and they completed the foundations for the center building along with the other planned building in the project but it died in the mid 80's during the real estate crash. The 2 Foundations and elevator cores were completed but the building never grew into the sky. There has been rumors ever since the mid 90's that the tower may actualy be built. Here is a picture of the redesign in 1999 http://www.denverskyscrapers.com/images ... new_01.jpg
Last edited by KansasCityCraka on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CityLiving
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CityLiving »

Time magazine seems to feel Denver's real estate market is not that rosy, at least for residential.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 35,00.html
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have been driving around Denver all day and I guess they just have more condo construction and less single family homes than KC because they just have urban infill going on in every corner of the city.  I think KC and Denver are really not that far apart when it comes to housing permits.  I also don't think the housing market in KC is any better.  The thing is, Denver had a bunch of towers UC before everything crashed.  KC never got anything out of the ground.  Oh well, we can all hope for a quick recovery I guess.  I have noticed that Denver builds a lot on spec, something kc just doesn't do.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

GRID wrote: I have been driving around Denver all day and I guess they just have more condo construction and less single family homes than KC because they just have urban infill going on in every corner of the city.  I think KC and Denver are really not that far apart when it comes to housing permits.  I also don't think the housing market in KC is any better.  The thing is, Denver had a bunch of towers UC before everything crashed.  KC never got anything out of the ground.  Oh well, we can all hope for a quick recovery I guess.  I have noticed that Denver builds a lot on spec, something kc just doesn't do.
It surprises me how all these highrise condos sell out so fast.  I think the real estate market in Denver's urban neighborhoods is doing decent - I know of a few here at Stapleton that have sold quickly this summer.

The Tabor 2 tower sounds like a pretty sure bet at this point - especially considering the low office vacancy rate downtown.  Last I heard it's at 40 stories and expected to begin construction December/January.  And since the foundation is already there, it should rise quickly.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Their DT has many draws/attractions that ours simply does not, no need to re-hash b/c we all know what they are.  From sports to zoos to art galleries, much better concentration of assets and hence: easier to sell condos to people seeking that lifestyle.

Denver has no competition in the mountains, for those seeking urban living.  If I live in Iowa, I have 4 realistic options in this order:  Chicago, Minny, STL, KC.    If you live in Montana or Colorado or Wyoming or Utah or Idaho, where is your urban option?

Denver.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

If you live in Montana or Colorado or Wyoming or Utah or Idaho, where is your urban option?

Portland and Seattle.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

while i have no doubt that Denver is pulling in lots of folks from outstate CO, WY, ID, etc., i think it's fairly obvious that the denver boom is fueled by people from much farther away, esp. CA., to whom $400 per square foot for a luxury condo is nothing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: while i have no doubt that Denver is pulling in lots of folks from outstate CO, WY, ID, etc., i think it's fairly obvious that the denver boom is fueled by people from much farther away, esp. CA., to whom $400 per square foot for a luxury condo is nothing.
this matches what my friends in denver say about their inflated prices.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I think that Denver is the last Major city traveling west. The next major city heading west to me is probably Las Vegas NV.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Salt Lake City is not that bad. It's a great place to live if you're an outdoorsy-type person. Much better than Denver in that respect. Only minutes from mountains/skiing - and great summer recreation as well.

I've visited there three or four times and really enjoy the city. It's tough dealing with the Mormon influences (f*cked up liquor laws, etc.), but if you put enough effort into it, you can find PLENTY of good people, entertainment, music, etc.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I have been to SLC 2 times and I don't really care to go back. Luckily they were both fully payed for by my dads company. We stayed in DT Salt Lake both times at a marriot there and were right across the street from a huge park, unfortunately the park was mainly a homeless persons park, no one would dare go into it even though it was very well maintained.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It's not just downtown.  Denver is just a different animal today than it was even five years ago.  They throw up urban condos in the burbs ten times faster than KC does in the core.  Seriously, a different animal and with all the new light rail lines up and running, the city is really taking on a totally different look and feel.  There is really nothing else like it in the country.  The way metro denver embraces urban development from one side of town to the other (including the suburbs) and the way the city has pretty much rebuilt most of its city with infill should be applauded.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

could more towers have to do with their geography?  People want to be in or at least see the mountains...and that land is being eaten up?

Denver has always seemed like a newer city to me...not as much empty building stock to convert to condos....so towers have to go up...and they do have a 5-10 year lead on us on the downtown development and have maintained that growth...at least it seemed that way last time I was there....which is funny, walking back from the bars...still dead downtown...nobody on the streets outside of LoDo...but that's another topic.

Grid....just look for a place to live while you are there....I'd hate to see you leave but it seems to be where you'd be happiest with how you've talked about denver over the years. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: could more towers have to do with their geography?  People want to be in or at least see the mountains...and that land is being eaten up?

Denver has always seemed like a newer city to me...not as much empty building stock to convert to condos....so towers have to go up...and they do have a 5-10 year lead on us on the downtown development and have maintained that growth...at least it seemed that way last time I was there....which is funny, walking back from the bars...still dead downtown...nobody on the streets outside of LoDo...but that's another topic.

Grid....just look for a place to live while you are there....I'd hate to see you leave but it seems to be where you'd be happiest with how you've talked about denver over the years. 

I'm not going to say much about denver because I know I will get shit about it.  Yea, I do like Denver and always have.  A vibrant, active city next the the rocky mountains...KC compared to Denver is still in a "decay" state.  KC, KCK, Indep etc.  Few cities have as much blight as KC does, even towns much bigger, but at least we can drive an hour and be in Topeka!

Seriously, come on, there is no reason not to compare and look up to denver in many ways.  It's just a different city.  It really doesn't compare to KC anymore other than it's still roughly in the same size group (a peer to kc).

KC will never be denver, we are not ten years behind denver. We were in 1990, but not now.  That city has simply pulled away from KC like Atlanta did before them.

Anyway.   Go KC.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

you nailed it Grid....I grew up in Littleton and Denver has changed dramatically, particularly since about lat 1990's.  Unfortunately I don't see KC catching up...
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

The chief reason condo towers are springing up in Denver and not KC is the price they can command. They can get $400 sq ft in Denver. KC is hovering around $200 - $250 sp ft downtown. While residents here enjoy the cheap real estate, it prevents a lot of the high rises from going up. The Broadway condo project is trying to break the mold.  Hope they can do it.