Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by dnweava »

GRID wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:12 pm Is it just me or are the people that don't want to leave Kuaffman (or pay for a new stadium) actually gaining traction? I think most of social media has gone from 75% against to more like 90% against. Or maybe the people that do support a new stadium have given up arguing.

Either way, the Royals are seriously dropping the ball. They should be using this time to educate people on the reasons WHY a new stadium is needed. Because NOBODY is educated about the the many reasons a new stadium is needed.

I don't see this passing if they just throw something on the ballet without educating people on the reasons KC needs to walk away from Kauffman even if tied to the Chiefs.
I get the vibe that most people don't want to pay for a stadium since the Royals don't invest in the team and as their record got worse this year that sentiment gained traction. I honestly think a Royals only stadium vote would fail in both Clay and Jackson counties right now. The Royals are only getting a new stadium because it will be tied to the Chiefs vote next April.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I know I've given up the fight on social media. This may sound offensive but there's just too many ignorant or actually dumb people on there. The push back saying build a better team first just shows people's lack of knowledge about how anything in the real world works. It was exhausting.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:38 pm I know I've given up the fight on social media. This may sound offensive but there's just too many ignorant or actually dumb people on there. The push back saying build a better team first just shows people's lack of knowledge about how anything in the real world works. It was exhausting.
Social media is where the stupid go to be heard. Most intelligent people stay silent on a lot of hot button topics. I've noticed that those complaining about the new stadium on different news posts are often the same people trying to spread their message across multiple posts. And when you have the same 300 people posting the same thing over and over, it starts to feel like everyone is against it when they're not.

But is it worth time debating these people? No. Chances are they don't even live in Jackson or Clay Counties.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:30 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:38 pm I know I've given up the fight on social media. This may sound offensive but there's just too many ignorant or actually dumb people on there. The push back saying build a better team first just shows people's lack of knowledge about how anything in the real world works. It was exhausting.
Social media is where the stupid go to be heard. Most intelligent people stay silent on a lot of hot button topics. I've noticed that those complaining about the new stadium on different news posts are often the same people trying to spread their message across multiple posts. And when you have the same 300 people posting the same thing over and over, it starts to feel like everyone is against it when they're not.

But is it worth time debating these people? No. Chances are they don't even live in Jackson or Clay Counties.
On the Save Kauffman Stadium FB page, the majority of the members are not from Jackson County. Many are not even from the KC area or are KC natives now living elsewhere. The founder of the page lives in Johnson County. A vocal member is a former KC councilperson that complains incessantly that KC has never done enough for the suburbs. I've also noted a relatively strong correlation between save Kauffman members and political affiliation.

That said, social media is a sample and based on that sample and the people I know and talk to, I think a vote for a downtown stadium would fail if taken today. I think once the realization sinks in that the Royals are probably not going to stay at TSC one way or another, that may change along with a little re-education (not unlike the airport). The airport education problem was easier, Kauffman doesn't suck like KCI and the cost of the airport was not on the taxpayers. Some of the benefits of a downtown stadium (e.g., serviceable by public transportation) will fall on deaf ears due to the suburban nature of the opposition and the already mentioned political correlation which already has a dim view of public transportation. I think it will take the real threat of the Royals leaving the KC area totally or moving to Wyandotte or Johnson Counties to move the needle on this one.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:38 pm I've also noted a relatively strong correlation between save Kauffman members and political affiliation.
I've been thinking about this a lot this week after the Dallas Democratic mayor switched his affiliation to Republican and said that "urban areas need more conservative advocates". I really could care less about the politics of it, but having one side dominate political views in an area really seems problematic, especially when that city is in a Republican state. It'd be better to have both parties fighting over the votes of urban dwellers. It'd mean more money at all times for those areas instead of just when one side is in power. You'd have to think it would be better for solving social disparities.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:38 pm

On the Save Kauffman Stadium FB page, the majority of the members are not from Jackson County. Many are not even from the KC area or are KC natives now living elsewhere. The founder of the page lives in Johnson County. A vocal member is a former KC councilperson that complains incessantly that KC has never done enough for the suburbs. I've also noted a relatively strong correlation between save Kauffman members and political affiliation.

That said, social media is a sample and based on that sample and the people I know and talk to, I think a vote for a downtown stadium would fail if taken today. I think once the realization sinks in that the Royals are probably not going to stay at TSC one way or another, that may change along with a little re-education (not unlike the airport). The airport education problem was easier, Kauffman doesn't suck like KCI and the cost of the airport was not on the taxpayers. Some of the benefits of a downtown stadium (e.g., serviceable by public transportation) will fall on deaf ears due to the suburban nature of the opposition and the already mentioned political correlation which already has a dim view of public transportation. I think it will take the real threat of the Royals leaving the KC area totally or moving to Wyandotte or Johnson Counties to move the needle on this one.
Agree with all of this, although I think it's a more uphill battle to get a yes vote than people here think and I'm just not sure the Royals are going to be able to get the message across to people. Time will tell.

Baseball teams don't move often, but I honestly think the Royals will be sold and moved if they can't get a new stadium built. Especially now that so many cities have all of the sudden decided they want a MLB team and the Rays / A's are not going to be the go to defaults for relocation anymore. The Royals will become the number one team for relocation. Not to mention they will be in limbo and could possibly hold up any Chiefs plans.

Then five to ten years after the Royals are gone and KC realizes it has no chance of getting MLB back, KC will build a new Downtown stadium for a AAA team...

As a huge fan of the team and the city, I hope they figure out how to get a new stadium built and I hope they can stop losing 100 games a year or it won't matter anyway.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I once again will point out that MLB is not interested whatsoever in moving the Royals because they want to share in the revenue from expansion costs. Moving the Royals is a sunk cost to all the other owners & they're not interested in relocation outside of A's to Vegas. They are here, they're going to have to make it work, & they're going to move no matter what.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I know we always go in a circle with and up here but they're just gonna put the Chiefs on the ballot and pass it. Nobody in KC is going to vote against the Chiefs on anything, even with the Royals involved. They won't vote down just a simple tax *extension* + the Chiefs out of pure strife. It'll pass.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Nashville, Montreal, SLC, Portland all appear to be serious thus far in the pursuit for an expansion team. Two of them assuming no one else is seriously interested are going to miss out. There's no way teams like the Royals, Brewers etc are going to be totally safe even after the league goes to 32 and with the A's going to Vegas and the Rays getting a new stadium.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Rusty Irish wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:35 am Nashville, Montreal, SLC, Portland all appear to be serious thus far in the pursuit for an expansion team. Two of them assuming no one else is seriously interested are going to miss out. There's no way teams like the Royals, Brewers etc are going to be totally safe even after the league goes to 32 and with the A's going to Vegas and the Rays getting a new stadium.
If the Royals, or any other team, get a new stadium then they’re safe for a generation. If they go against it then they’re vulnerable.

Side note, I never thought in a million years the MLB would beat the NBA to expansion but it’s starting to look possible. NBA has just flopped on it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:00 am
Rusty Irish wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:35 am Nashville, Montreal, SLC, Portland all appear to be serious thus far in the pursuit for an expansion team. Two of them assuming no one else is seriously interested are going to miss out. There's no way teams like the Royals, Brewers etc are going to be totally safe even after the league goes to 32 and with the A's going to Vegas and the Rays getting a new stadium.
If the Royals, or any other team, get a new stadium then they’re safe for a generation. If they go against it then they’re vulnerable.

Side note, I never thought in a million years the MLB would beat the NBA to expansion but it’s starting to look possible. NBA has just flopped on it.
You seem to think MLB is no longer popular based on many of your posts. I just do not agree with that at all. It's still VERY popular out here on the east coast and cities like Nashville, Charlotte, Austin, Portland, SLC, San Antonio etc are literally begging for a team and have stadium plans and investors ready to go if a team/expansion become available.

If anything, MLB is sort of getting a second wind of interest. I have not seen this much interest from cities trying to get a team in decades and attendance is actually up. The problem with MLB is mostly due to TV contracts. People like to watch MLB in person. It's not like NFL or maybe even NBA where it's ultra popular on TV.

And I agree. I'm not buying the idea the Royals are safe. They are only safe if they get a new stadium. And even if they don't move, it would be a terrible situation if KC is nothing but the team everybody talks about luring to another market for the next decade or two. Because once Tampa and Oakland are resolved, it's basically KC and that's it. Milwaukee is not going anywhere, they draw double what KC draws on a regular basis. Miami is the only team that would have worse attendance most years and they are probably stuck there for a while since they have a newer stadium.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:52 pm You seem to think MLB is no longer popular based on many of your posts. I just do not agree with that at all.
MLB is popular not sure why you'd think otherwise. Statistically still has the 2nd most following other than NFL.

I just figured NBA would move faster on expansion than MLB, but NBA commish is super conservative on it and Manfred is aggressive and wants to get MLB back in the national spotlight.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:52 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:00 am

You seem to think MLB is no longer popular based on many of your posts. I just do not agree with that at all. It's still VERY popular out here on the east coast and cities like Nashville, Charlotte, Austin, Portland, SLC, San Antonio etc are literally begging for a team and have stadium plans and investors ready to go if a team/expansion become available.

If anything, MLB is sort of getting a second wind of interest. I have not seen this much interest from cities trying to get a team in decades and attendance is actually up. The problem with MLB is mostly due to TV contracts. People like to watch MLB in person. It's not like NFL or maybe even NBA where it's ultra popular on TV.

And I agree. I'm not buying the idea the Royals are safe. They are only safe if they get a new stadium. And even if they don't move, it would be a terrible situation if KC is nothing but the team everybody talks about luring to another market for the next decade or two. Because once Tampa and Oakland are resolved, it's basically KC and that's it. Milwaukee is not going anywhere, they draw double what KC draws on a regular basis. Miami is the only team that would have worse attendance most years and they are probably stuck there for a while since they have a newer stadium.
Unlike football, most people can afford to take their families to a baseball game. That's what makes it so desirable for cities to have a team.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

"MLB has the oldest fans among the major sports, with an average age of 57, according to a 2017 survey by Sports Business Journal. The average NBA, NHL, and NFL fans are 42, 49, and 50"

Looks like that might trend down with the rule changes but they have to get the telecast accessibility issues worked out.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

When doing the ad's for the Chiefs/Royals stadium vote, they need throw in Taylor Swift along with Kelce & Mahomes now to sell this thing. Get er' done.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Lol, I’m of the same opinion on social media. It has given the ignorant a giant megaphone to spout nonsense & lies. For all the good that comes from social media unfortunately in today’s world the bad out weighs the good. Just because you have an opinion does mean it’s valid or that anyone wants to read it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:37 pm "MLB has the oldest fans among the major sports, with an average age of 57, according to a 2017 survey by Sports Business Journal. The average NBA, NHL, and NFL fans are 42, 49, and 50"

Looks like that might trend down with the rule changes but they have to get the telecast accessibility issues worked out.
Is that the average age of the overall fan including TV audience? Because it seems that most fans that attend actual games are much younger and there are a lot of kids in the crowd. More kids in the crowd than at a football game.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:12 pm
shinatoo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:37 pm "MLB has the oldest fans among the major sports, with an average age of 57, according to a 2017 survey by Sports Business Journal. The average NBA, NHL, and NFL fans are 42, 49, and 50"

Is that the average age of the overall fan including TV audience? Because it seems that most fans that attend actual games are much younger and there are a lot of kids in the crowd. More kids in the crowd than at a football game.
I think "fan" is pretty loosely defined. Not a super scientific poll. Considering cost I would expect many more kids at a MLB game than any of the other three.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What a ridiculous "fact". Is that just who watches it on cable since most people under the age of 50 don't watch cable anymore?

When I go to Nats games, I would say the average age is 20's and 30's. In KC, it seems to be more families with kids and the adults are much older in general, but the average age is still not 57 lol.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dukuboy1 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:53 pm

Lol, I’m of the same opinion on social media. It has given the ignorant a giant megaphone to spout nonsense & lies. For all the good that comes from social media unfortunately in today’s world the bad out weighs the good. Just because you have an opinion does mean it’s valid or that anyone wants to read it.
I agree, but that's all there is anymore. Especially in KC where there is no longer a decent mainstream newspaper. The KC Star is an absolute joke now. So living 1000 miles from KC, I do tend to read comments on Youtube, FB, Twitter, Reddit etc to try and get a feel for topics like this.

And even when knowing that 80% of posts are trolling etc, you can still tell when something is not well supported and this new stadium for the Royals is not well supported IMO. I mean even most Royals fans are pretty against this, let alone most tax payers that don't give a shit about the Royals.

I'm just trying to keep this real and the Royals need to do the same.