Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Metro wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:24 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:19 pm
Metro wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:19 pm

Won't pass a vote
Based on what?
Polling
No poll right now is serious. They haven't started the campaign yet, and the Chiefs still haven't been added to the equation yet.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Metro wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:19 pm

Won't pass a vote
Based on what?
Polling
Incorrect
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's like the airport when everyone read a fb group and said it was going to lose and the people involved were like calm down and it passed easily.

I know frank white is going to frank white but I would try to get better embassadors out there to counter the bullshit
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Frank hasn't gotten his kickback check yet. Once Sherm gets Frank caught up on his property taxes things will start moving in a positive direction.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:15 pm My week was going too well so I decided to pop into the facebook group, "Save the K" and was sucked in by the absolute ignorance of the group.

I respect those who simply don't want a new stadium for legit reasons. What I can't accept is the fact most of the people there refuse to think big picture. Every 3rd post is by someone saying to develop TSC and almost every post talks about putting a good team together before building a new stadium. Of course you also have the anti-TIF people who say this is just Sherman being a rich asshole.

Between the loud and ignorant crowd and the flat out false information being purposely leaked by Frank White, we may not only end up without a new stadium but without a MLB team.
This could all be avoided by simply pointing out the "The K" isn't going anywhere, regardless of the Royals, unless Jackson County approves demolition.

It's publicly owned. The Royals have no say. Your elected officials do.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:13 pm

Based on what?
Polling
Incorrect
Actually it's correct there was a survey released from Clay County voters publicly. I work for someone who's done private polling and the results were about the same. Don't care if you don't believe me. A publicly funded stadium at the moment is not favorable.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Metro wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:16 pm

Polling
Incorrect
Actually it's correct there was a survey released from Clay County voters publicly. I work for someone who's done private polling and the results were about the same. Don't care if you don't believe me. A publicly funded stadium at the moment is not favorable.
Given we're talking downtown stadium, I wasn't assuming you were talking about the non-downtown stadium vote.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:10 am

Incorrect
Given we're talking downtown stadium, I wasn't assuming you were talking about the non-downtown stadium vote.
Poor reading but I understand why you're offended a small group of people such as yourself have made downtown Kansas City your identity which is very strange
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The thread is literally called the downtown baseball stadium and you responded "won't pass a vote" to my post about welcome downtown but now we were supposed to think you were talking about polling in Clay County? Wonderful logic.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Metro wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:41 am

Poor reading but I understand why you're offended a small group of people such as yourself have made downtown Kansas City your identity which is very strange
*Metro walks over to group on a soccer field* "I can't believe you're playing soccer here, very strange"
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

bspecht wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:42 pm
Metro wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:41 am

*Metro walks over to group on a soccer field* "I can't believe you're playing soccer here, very strange"
false equivalency
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Polling
Incorrect
I believe the point being made, which I agree with, is that polling in general isn't very reliable at this point. I don't think I've ever talked to someone who has participated in a poll like this. I think this is much like the airport debate where the opposition was well known on social media and in the local media because well, everyone agreeing we need something can't be stretched out for months and months.

I love talking about the new stadium and in my dozens and dozens of conversations, I've never ran into someone opposed. I've certainly talked to people who are skeptical but when I explain why I think we need a downtown stadium, they tend to agree. This is no "poll" and is 100% anecdotal but I do get the opportunity to talk to a lot of different people from all over the area, not just downtown enthusiasts.
Last edited by DColeKC on Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

"Antidotal" to the poison of the old stadium? Sure you meant anecdotal but antidotal sound more fun.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

From Clark Hunt's press conference yesterday:
The Royals are eyeing a 40-year lease agreement, but the Chiefs would prefer another 25-year lease renewal if they stay put at the current Arrowhead.

“If the Royals do decide to stay in Jackson County, that’s going to be an issue that we’ve got to resolve,” Hunt said. “We’ve got to figure out how to make that work for both teams.”
https://www.kshb.com/sports/football/ch ... ad-stadium

sports talk podcast conversation H1 10/31: https://www.810whb.com/the-program-podcasts/

Not sure how the teams negotiate different lease terms if the plan is for both to be on the same ballot? Or is that not the plan?
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:52 pm From Clark Hunt's press conference yesterday:
The Royals are eyeing a 40-year lease agreement, but the Chiefs would prefer another 25-year lease renewal if they stay put at the current Arrowhead.

“If the Royals do decide to stay in Jackson County, that’s going to be an issue that we’ve got to resolve,” Hunt said. “We’ve got to figure out how to make that work for both teams.”
https://www.kshb.com/sports/football/ch ... ad-stadium

sports talk podcast conversation H1 10/31: https://www.810whb.com/the-program-podcasts/

Not sure how the teams negotiate different lease terms if the plan is for both to be on the same ballot? Or is that not the plan?
I am still in the camp that the leases are the easiest of issues to figure out. You can literally draft a lease however you want (not to be overly simplistic here). The money, the extension, and the length of the extension will be the hardest part.

I still suspect they will be on the same ballot. The Chiefs can negotiate a 25-year renewal with proceeds from the first 25-years of the sales tax extension funding the debt service on their amount of desired public financing for a renovation. For the remaining 15 years, both sides can build contingencies into the agreement moving forward. The Chiefs are not going to leave money on the table here.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Given how the JaCo use tax failed the approval of the sales tax extension for a downtown stadium could be questionable. Within KCMO portion of JaCo the yes vote was more for the tax. JaCo outside of KCMO the no vote overwhelmed the yes vote especially with the number of voters exceeding the number of voters in KCMO.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/jackson-co ... 625bd2af90
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The question was very vague and the county has done nothing to engender my trust.

I probably would have voted yes if I had a better idea of what I was voting on/how the money would be used.

I think it says more about JaCo than the royals vote
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

But one has to remember there are more voters living in JaCo outside of KC than in KC in JaCo. And I would think that those in JaCo outside of KC are the ones who need to be convinced of accepting a Royals move downtown. They, as a whole as I take it, like the stadium where it is at currently.
As I have said before the Royals put the cart before the horse with an announced moved downtown. A study should have been done with the county/sports authority to determine the cost of rehabbing the current stadium. I think what hurts the Royals is that the Chiefs see their stadium as something that can be rehabbed instead of abandoned, a stadium built at the same time as the current Royals home. And I believe many voters also see it that way.
For the Royals to move downtown it seems the city needs to go alone and find a plan to cover its share of the cost.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

April 2023 and November 2022 had sales tax measures in Jackson county that both passed 68%.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:50 am But one has to remember there are more voters living in JaCo outside of KC than in KC in JaCo. And I would think that those in JaCo outside of KC are the ones who need to be convinced of accepting a Royals move downtown. They, as a whole as I take it, like the stadium where it is at currently.
As I have said before the Royals put the cart before the horse with an announced moved downtown. A study should have been done with the county/sports authority to determine the cost of rehabbing the current stadium. I think what hurts the Royals is that the Chiefs see their stadium as something that can be rehabbed instead of abandoned, a stadium built at the same time as the current Royals home. And I believe many voters also see it that way.
For the Royals to move downtown it seems the city needs to go alone and find a plan to cover its share of the cost.
The Royals must enhance their communication by emphasizing that the goal is to increase revenue in order to build a stronger team. They should provide a detailed comparison of how a downtown location can achieve this as opposed to the current one.

They need to get a little honest and tell Royals fans that unfortunately, fans of this team only get them into the upper half of attendance when the team is a playoff contender and baseball history shows mid-market teams will never be playoff contenders year after year. They should explain to fans that tailgating is for football and bad baseball teams. Spending dollars in the parking lot doesn’t help your team. The chiefs can afford it, the royals can not.

I’d also explain the difference between football and baseball stadiums. The sheer amount of events and how a football stadium can stand to be on an island somewhere while a baseball stadium struggles.

Lastly, City pride. They haven’t talked about this and found a way to articulate how important it is to our city and its residents to make these changes for our future. It’s not about explosive growth, it’s about preventing our city from drying up and losing momentum.

Regardless of all that, I think we will see some interesting new developments soon and we may want to toss out all we currently think we know.