Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:59 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:14 pm
We just don't have recent examples to point to showing how certain markets losing a major franchise can be severely detrimental to that city and region. I guess we could be one of those examples to prove that for most markets, the tax payer helping pay for these things is worth every penny.
Recent examples. How about San Diego with the Chargers? Oakland with the Raiders? And now the Phoenix area with the Cayotes?
Not saying I would want the Royals to move out of this market but if leaving it up to a taxpayer vote the team and elected officials are taking a very big risk. Both need to find a way to do it without a taxpayer vote.

BTW Kansas City has seemed to survive long term after losing NBA and NHL teams and now has a thriving arena without a major league tenant.
Right but there hasn’t been enough time since this steaks leaving to show the impacts of them leaving. San Diego and Phoenix will be just fine because they’re strong enough in other areas but Oakland is more comparable to our market. They’re already seeing the impact and I’m sure it will only get worse.

KC has survived without a NBA team because it had one for 13 years and the NBA wasn’t remotely as popular as baseball in the 80’s.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Keep the East xroads site. Tear down the surrounding crap one story shanty buildings and turn it into green space. Man, wouldn’t that be a dilemma for the Twitter virtue signalers. Maybe put a couple bike racks in there too in order to secure the incel vote.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 pm but Oakland is more comparable to our market. They’re already seeing the impact and I’m sure it will only get worse.
What kind of impact are you talking about? And BTW Oakland also lost the NBA Golden State Warriors a few years ago.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 pm but Oakland is more comparable to our market. They’re already seeing the impact and I’m sure it will only get worse.
What kind of impact are you talking about? And BTW Oakland also lost the NBA Golden State Warriors a few years ago.
Economic, civic pride, population decreases, etc. all things that will take a decade or more to study and determine how losing three major sports franchises impact a non-mega market type city. Although Oakland has San Fran to lean on and I think the impact of losing a mlb franchise here in KC would be somewhat unprecedented in modern times apples to apples anyway.

In Oaklands case, there may end up being only positives but I can’t help but think losing a MLB team would be very bad for a city like ours.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 am
IIRC, they were the first city to loose a team in every major league (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB) and KC would/could be the second.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

“Clark Hunt on the potential need of having to perhaps build a new stadium for the Chiefs, whether in Missouri or Kansas: "It could be an open-air stadium or a dome stadium."

A roof being considered now?

https://x.com/bynatetaylor/status/17842 ... RPpXS0iFBA
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:32 am
Highlander wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 pm
But you will eventually have no choice on whether you can watch a professional baseball game in your city
Maybe, maybe not. But lately across the country when the voters have a choice whether or not to tax themselves they have said no. Even elected officials as in Arizona and Virginia.
However I do think Jackson County can break this trend if there is a vote for the Chiefs at Arrowhead.
We just don't have recent examples to point to showing how certain markets losing a major franchise can be severely detrimental to that city and region. I guess we could be one of those examples to prove that for most markets, the tax payer helping pay for these things is worth every penny.
Has St Louis’ reputation improved or worsened since the Rams left?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

mourban wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:36 pm

Maybe, maybe not. But lately across the country when the voters have a choice whether or not to tax themselves they have said no. Even elected officials as in Arizona and Virginia.
However I do think Jackson County can break this trend if there is a vote for the Chiefs at Arrowhead.
Definitley worsened
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

DColeKC wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:32 am
Economic, civic pride, population decreases, etc. all things that will take a decade or more to study and determine how losing three major sports franchises impact a non-mega market type city. Although Oakland has San Fran to lean on and I think the impact of losing a mlb franchise here in KC would be somewhat unprecedented in modern times apples to apples anyway.

In Oaklands case, there may end up being only positives but I can’t help but think losing a MLB team would be very bad for a city like ours.
The things mentioned would have many causes besides losing a team. Yes, losing a team might have some limited impact but I would imagine others causes would have more impact.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 am “Clark Hunt on the potential need of having to perhaps build a new stadium for the Chiefs, whether in Missouri or Kansas: "It could be an open-air stadium or a dome stadium."

A roof being considered now?

https://x.com/bynatetaylor/status/17842 ... RPpXS0iFBA
I think the answer is all options are on the table now. Even building new at TSC. Seams like they would want a better location if they build new but infrastructure cost and county funding might keep them put.

My bet is on a renovated Arrowhead.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Unchanged. But their situation was diffrent as they had zero chance at keeping that team, and they still put forth a good plan. Owner and league were aligned against them.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Enough of KC’s national (international?) reputation is based around the Chiefs that I could see a complete move-out dealing a lot of collateral damage to the city
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:56 pm

Unchanged. But their situation was diffrent as they had zero chance at keeping that team, and they still put forth a good plan. Owner and league were aligned against them.
STL reputation has tanked. Especially with Wall Street Journal and now foreign press and online media calling it the next Detroit and a city in a doom spiral
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

An interesting story on new sport facilities construction
https://www.scrippsnews.com/sports/insi ... nstruction
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

langosta wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:44 am STL reputation has tanked. Especially with Wall Street Journal and now foreign press and online media calling it the next Detroit and a city in a doom spiral

All due to the city losing the Rams?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't feel STL losing a team had anything to do with where STL is at now and trending towards.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

St. Louis has been "the next Detroit" for decades. If there is any causal relationship there, it ran in the other direction: they lost the Rams because they are in decline, they aren't now in decline because they lost the Rams.
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:52 am
langosta wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:44 am STL reputation has tanked. Especially with Wall Street Journal and now foreign press and online media calling it the next Detroit and a city in a doom spiral

Not all due, but it certainly feeds the narrative. Cleveland and Detroit have issues hit they stay in the national conversation as relevant metros because of their teams.

If one or both of the Royals and Chiefs left the KC metro it would be seriously detrimental.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:52 am

There isn’t much widely distributed materials painting the city in a positive light. Like having an NFL team would. Making matters worse, sports media has picked up on the Cardinals abysmal in person attendance (videos and pictures) that comments are spinning into the downtown spiral discussion.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I just looked up attendance out of curiosity. Cardinals rank 6th in MLB with average of 37k. Royals are averaging 15k per game and rank 28th in the MLB for attendance.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance