Omaha: Considering building a new DT ballpark

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Omaha: Considering building a new DT ballpark

Post by Maitre D »

Omaha stakes: Park decisions loom
Future of Rosenblatt, home to College World Series, is uncertain.
By BLAIR KERKHOFF
The Kansas City Star

Omaha is considering whether to upgrade Rosenblatt Stadium or construct a new downtown ballpark.

OMAHA, Neb. | Attendance is running ahead of last year’s record pace. Souvenir stands are stuffed. Steakburger prices didn’t rise. In many ways, Rosenblatt Stadium never seemed more of an ideal setting for the College World Series, which continues this week.

But all is not peaceful in college baseball’s Garden of Eden.

The future of Rosenblatt, the event’s home since 1950, is uncertain. Stadium upgrades are needed, and the NCAA has concerns about the area surrounding the ballpark.

Some kind of change in venue seems certain, and Omaha has suggested two proposals: Make over Rosenblatt for about $25 million or incorporate a new stadium as part of a downtown renaissance for $50 million.

A third option is for the event to leave Omaha, but the NCAA hasn’t reached the power-play stage yet.

“That option is probably not one that we’re going to consider for a long time,” said Dennis Poppe, the NCAA managing director for baseball and football.

Still, the idea of tinkering with the setting has unnerved some. Coaches don’t want to leave the place many in the college baseball community call the Blatt.

“The stadium on the hill, we’ve all grown up with that vision in mind,” said Cal State-Fullerton coach George Horton. “It would be sad to see it move from this piece of property.”

Omaha has poured $35 million into stadium improvements over the last 15 years, but the city has been fighting to keep pace with the event’s growth.

Rosenblatt Stadium and the area weren’t originally constructed for the crowds that flock to the College World Series, often numbering more than 20,000 per game. Inside the structure, concourses are narrow, and dark exits quickly jam after a game.

But some of the more serious concerns are outside the ballpark. Parking is a challenge, and the NCAA isn’t happy that 13th Street, which runs along the west side of the stadium, has become packed with makeshift beer gardens.

“I’m not sure that beer gardens are what we consider to be part of the College World Series atmosphere,” Poppe said.

The Rosenblatt improvement plan calls for the city to buy homes and businesses along 13th Street and clear them for green space. During the World Series, the land could be rented to vendors, but it would be controlled by the city.

Also, the stadium’s entrance would be reconfigured, which would mean moving Zesto’s, the landmark ice-cream joint, a few blocks to the south.

Inside the stadium, locker rooms would be expanded. That’s the biggest complaint from teams, according to the NCAA, though coaches are careful not to sound critical. They’d rather speak of the area’s mystical charm.

“When we drove from the highway to 13th Street and I saw (Rosenblatt) again, I though my heart was going to jump through my chest,” Horton said.

Would coaches and other Rosenblatt fans feel the same way about a downtown stadium?

“As long as they keep the name Rosenblatt so they’d make it feel like college baseball,” said Mississippi State coach Ron Polk.

But a downtown stadium, like Rosenblatt, would have other tenants. The Omaha Royals have been seeking to play in a more intimate setting for several years. A new ballpark would include 8,000-9,000 permanent seats with the ability to add 15,000 temporary seats for the College World Series.

But the Royals, Kansas City’s Class AAA affiliate, haven’t been part of many conversations about possible change.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/154478.html
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Omaha: Considering building a new DT ballpark

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Shouldn't this be in "outside KC"?  I know the northland sprawl is getting bad - but not that bad. 
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

I bet the stadium will be filled with Billionaires.
Dream as if you will live forever... Live as if you were to die today..
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

yes, it should  -   I thought I put it in that folder.  Sorry.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Will Omaha save their stadium???
KC is the way to be!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I wish we could get a street full of half-ass, unlicensed beer gardens alongside the K - That would make the location far more desirable and vibrant than the current scene. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

AllThingsKC wrote: Will Omaha save their stadium???

If the people up there are like GRID and Chef, they will.

If they're more like me or Max or Metro.....they won't.

Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

briantsmith25 wrote: I bet the stadium will be filled with Billionaires.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I just love the smell of skyscrapers in the morning...
http://okmet.org / OkMet forums
Keep Tulsa Lame.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

Yes &&&&&&&&&&&&
Dream as if you will live forever... Live as if you were to die today..
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

Well I am sure that Joemoney will be in the crowd, for what that's worth.  :D
Keep Tulsa Lame.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The Omaha posters must not have the same software that the St Louis posters utilize to notify them whenever their city is mentioned.   :lol:
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

Or their usernames.
Keep Tulsa Lame.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

The software was down. It's running now. ;)

I'm so sick of hearing people up here talk about how fucking sentimental Rosenblatt is. They have this romanitc idea about Omaha, Rosenblatt, and the CWS that's horribly overblown. It's "The Road to Omaha" not "The Road to Rosenblatt".

I think most people up here think that we will lose the CWS if we build a new stadium. You can only pump money into a dump for so long before it's not going to be worth putting money into anymore. The renovations will cost half of what the new stadium would. In another 10 years when the NCAA asks for another $25M worth of renovations we could have had a new stadium that had a lock on the CWS.

People will have to be dragged kicking and screaming on the stadium issue. Luckily their is not a public vote on this. It's up to the City Council and Mayor who are the ones pushing for the new stadium.
briantsmith25 wrote: I bet the stadium will be filled with Billionaires.
It's funny you should mention this.

One of the rumors, which might have legs, is that one of Omaha's billionaires, Walter Scott, would pay for the new stadium. Walter Scott is one of the biggest donors to the Omaha Zoo. The Zoo is right across the street from Rosenblatt. It would be logical for the zoo to expand on the newly available Rosenblatt land. It would be the best gift he ever gave the zoo.

It's pretty tense up here with the stadium. Almost even getting to the point of physical confrontation with some people who want to keep Rosenblatt. A popular saying on the Omaha site for those of us pro-DT Stadium is that "If they can tear down Yankee Stadium, they can tear down Rosenblatt."

The foolish Rosenblatt fans talk about the history the CWS has with Omaha. One week a year for almost 60 years is just over a year of the CWS in Omaha. It's not some pro team that had some dynasty and was home to some of the greatest players in baseball. By the logic the Rosen-fans use they shouldn't tear down the Civic Auditorium here because Kareem Abdul Jabar played there. Nor should they tear down the Metrodome because Joe Montana played a few games there. People are latching onto a "history" that's not really theirs.

I do think the new stadium will be built. I've talked with people on the Council and they say there is too much planned development and new tax base around the stadium to NOT build it.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

well

Post by Maitre D »

I truly believe that one day, KC will be the only city in America with a >15K seat ballpark that's located outside DT. 

During the renovation vote here, the politicians said that renovating KC'sballpark would prevent us from becoming "another Omaha."  Looks like, becoming an Omaha would be a step up in some ways.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: well

Post by GRID »

Maitre D wrote: I truly believe that one day, KC will be the only city in America with a >15K seat ballpark that's located outside DT. 

During the renovation vote here, the politicians said that renovating KC'sballpark would prevent us from becoming "another Omaha."   Looks like, becoming an Omaha would be a step up in some ways.
Because KC will soon have two top quality top league professional stadiums and Omaha might replace their AAA stadium?  Dude, seriously...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

GRID wrote: Because KC will soon have two top quality top league professional stadiums and Omaha might replace their AAA stadium?  Dude, seriously...

Well, we *should* have 2 pro-quality stadiums b/c we are a pretty large city with pro sports.  No argument from me on that part.

DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

Maitre D wrote: I truly believe that one day, KC will be the only city in America with a >15K seat ballpark that's located outside DT. 

During the renovation vote here, the politicians said that renovating KC'sballpark would prevent us from becoming "another Omaha."   Looks like, becoming an Omaha would be a step up in some ways.

Maybe our paper should start telling people "Don't make the same mistake KC did." (Comments made in jest of course so no need to go beyond that.)

Like I said I think we will get the stadium. Too many powers that be have too much vested in the stadium to stay where it is.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Man I wish MLB stadiums only cost $50M.  Go for it Omaha....I don't know where the current stadium is but for $25M more, it would be worth it to get an entirely new structure.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Hey I thought the Omaha Royals changed their name to the Omaha Golden Spikes. As far as Rosenblatte is concerned I thought that this stadium was built as a AAA farm club stadium for the KC Royals. Where does the NCAA get off making the demands for the stadium that already has a major tennent in the Golden Spikes. That is like being a guest then going and making a lot of improvements in your host's home. Come on this is not right for the tennant to have to go through a restraining order of sorts in their own stadium. The college world series should be played at a different venue every year just like the Final 4 playoffs in basketball. Yes they make the city of Omaha money but there are a lot of ballparks around the country that would love to host it too. Kansas City KS has the Community America ballpark at the Legeonds and I would think that they would love to host the college world series one year.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

They are now called the Royals again. Thank God!

The CWS was actually at Rosenblatt before the Royals were even around. You do make a good point though about the guest tenant holding the main tenant hostage. With the new stadium the Royals will be able to make it there own with the CWS's extra seats not being around during Royals games.