Azul Latin Bistro - 1108 Grand

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Azul Latin Bistro - 1108 Grand

Post by DaveKCMO »

an ad in this week's pitch touts: "a little south beach is coming to KC... azul latin bistro. coming soon!" the address is 1108 grand, but kiva shows no active permits and doesn't even recognize that address as a parcel. is this spot technically part of the bryant building?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Azul Latin Bistro - 1108 Grand

Post by KCDowntown »

It is in the Borel building, which is the thin building between the Bryant Building and the WallStreet Tower parking structure.

There has not been a lot of noticeable changes to the outside of this space other than some blue tarps over the windows and a little blue sign.

KCDowntown
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Now that you post that I remember walking by seeing signs on this building with that name.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Is this the space that used to be a nightclub (called Trago I think), and has been vacant for a long time?
There is no fifth destination.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

The blue tarps are off of the windows and they were setting up inside on Friday. 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Grand Opening June 8th.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Any known names in the KC culinary scene involved?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

QueSi2Opie wrote: Grand Opening June 8th.
did this actually happen?
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Appears not.  I walked over there today and the Grand opening sign from the window was no longer up but the doors were locked.  That was around 11am.  It did look like stuff was set up inside though.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

This building did used to be Trago.  The owner of Club Chemical, which eventually turned into Club Ultra VI, owned Trago but couldn't get it reopened and used it for years as an event space.  I've never been in the building but I heard it was very cozy inside.  This is exciting that development is pushing east. 
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

From this AM's Star :

Now open

•Azul Latin Bistro, 1108 Grand Blvd., a locally owned restaurant serving sweet chipotle chicken with yucca fries and radish salsa, cilantro pesto steak, pork loin tacos with pineapple sweet onion salsa, pan-seared tuna tacos and margarita cheesecake and tequila whipped cream “shot.”
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Hmm, looks interesting.  I wonder what the evening hours, if any...will be?  Food sounds good.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the door was locked when i went by for lunch at 1 p.m. what gives, joyce? no hours or menu posted.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Starting to sound shadey!  Hmm....
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

I went by again today around noon and this time the doors were open so I decided to let myself in.  It looked pretty posh inside, similar to Seven on Walnut.  I never saw anyone but a voice did yell out from somewhere in the back that they open at five.  There are no signs on the window except the big blue windows with Azul on them.  They had better post a menu or do something to make it look a little more inviting.  From the outside, it looks like every other shitty place on that block of Grand.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

MightyKC wrote: I went by again today around noon and this time the doors were open so I decided to let myself in.  It looked pretty posh inside, similar to Seven on Walnut.  I never saw anyone but a voice did yell out from somewhere in the back that they open at five.  There are no signs on the window except the big blue windows with Azul on them.  They had better post a menu or do something to make it look a little more inviting.  From the outside, it looks like every other shitty place on that block of Grand.
well, i shall drop by after 5 then!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

DaveKCMO wrote: well, i shall drop by after 5 then!
Go get 'em!  I expect a full report.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

while were waiting at KCI for our delayed skybus flight (!), here's a brief review:

we were the only two customers in the restaurant at 6:30. the interior space is cool: a modern and simple mix of yellow-green, blue, and black. to the right is a banquette with small tables that runs the entire length of the restaurant. to the right is a long bar (see above). the two flat panel TVs are unobtrusively placed high on the wall. background music is the expected mix of latin-influenced house and jazz. bathrooms are upstairs (nothing special) in a high-gloss black hallway. while hours are not posted, there was a sandwich board outside with the full menu on both sides. the blue lighting in the window indicates whether they are open (which is 5 p.m.-? tues-sat -- no lunch).

we ordered two mojito's ($9 each) that were a bit sweet, but not in an offensive way. fresh bread arrived and we ordered the sweet potato chorizo quesadillas ($6.50), which were very tasty and nicely presented. we then ordered our entrees -- a stuffed butterfly pork chop for me ($16.95) and the pan-seared tuna tacos with jicama slaw ($16.95) for the b/f -- and were promptly served. both entrees were very good and again nicely presented.

there was a problem with the POS running a credit card, but they were prepared with a manual credit slip (amazing!) and we were out in a little over an hour.

in short, i will never ever go to seven again... this is my new spot. there is a severe shortage of latin and carribbean restaurants in KC, so this is a welcome addition (especially since caliente is opening in BFE).

interesting sidebar: the waitress asked us where we lived and she mentioned she was looking at moving to the cold storage lofts. i told her that there was a much better building right across the street (PB lofts) and she wrote a little thanks for the tip note on our bill. who can i call for my referral fee? :lol:
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Very interesting.  I'll have to give it a shot soon.  Those should have been top-shelf world class mojitos at $9.00 each.  Who do they think they are, Cheesecake Factory?! &&&

But, alas, Seven needs a little more refinement, so I'll go back in a few months.  In the mean time, I'll check this one out.