B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by ignatius »

FYI, AMC _does_ validate parking at the ticket counter.
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

We went to the 9:30 showing of Star Trek last night in the Cinema Suites.  Downtown was packed (concert at the Sprint Center as well) and parked in the garage near Cosentinos.  There was a gate guard who asked where we were going and when we told him the movies, he said it was free!  The garage was pretty well packed as well.  On the walk to the theatre, my husband was pretty amazed by how vibrant downtown was at 9 p.m.

The theatre was beautiful, from the bar and lounge to the concession area (including the sweet soda fountain).  The cinema suites were also beyond our expectations, from the relaxing chairs to the service (and hot towels at the end of the movie).  My husband thought the sound was a bit too loud at points but other than that it was great (we sat in Row B, seats 1-2, next time will aim for rows c, d or e and in the center).

The food was about what we expected (I had the waffle nachos, he the chicago hot dog) and with the vouchers, we didn't owe anything extra.  We left a tip for the servers on our tray as we were leaving and hopefully they got them.

When we left at 11:50, downtown was still alive and my husband said "who knew that Kansas City had so much going for it".  No problems leaving the garage (the gate was up on the Cosentino's level).  This will be the theatre we always go to for movies and only to the Cinema Suites section
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ig...but does it work?  There is more than one account of that validation not working.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^I've only done it once (usually take bus) and was parked under the Live district.  Worked fine for me.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

If there is an attendant at the garage it definitely works to get in free if you tell them you are watching a movie.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

Highlander wrote: So how are the crowds at the Main Street Theater?  Are they getting sell outs?
YES. I left work early (in The RM) and stopped by about 4 pm to get tickets for the 930 Star Trek. Sold out completely.  Had planned to go to Bice patio then to 930 movie but...anyways we figured, 615 would wide open, nope. Only had like 3 or 4 seats so we grabbed up 2 (probably worst in the theater) and ended up going to Bice Patio after the show which was fine. BTW asked about Saturday night shows and lady said they were nearly sold out as well. So yes, I think they are doing well. The Suites are really awesome and very much worth the 20.00 ticket with the 10.00 food and drink voucher. I was pretty impressed by the pricing actually.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

phna wrote: Yes for the 2 movies I saw. Xmen and Star Trek.

Every thing went great from then on!

As for the parking, I too went to Cosentino's---bought something I need--and validated at Cosentino's. No problems.
tella100 wrote: YES. I left work early (in The RM) and stopped by about 4 pm to get tickets for the 930 Star Trek. Sold out completely.  Had planned to go to Bice patio then to 930 movie but...anyways we figured, 615 would wide open, nope. Only had like 3 or 4 seats so we grabbed up 2 (probably worst in the theater) and ended up going to Bice Patio after the show which was fine. BTW asked about Saturday night shows and lady said they were nearly sold out as well. So yes, I think they are doing well. The Suites are really awesome and very much worth the 20.00 ticket with the 10.00 food and drink voucher. I was pretty impressed by the pricing actually.
Cool.  It's great downtown has another more consistent crowd draw (as opposed to periodic shows at the Kemper and Midland).  With two big concerts over the weekend and the Main Street Theater just having opened, things must have really been active in the P&L District.  Can't wait to check the theater when in town.     
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Went to the 7:30 Star Trek on Saturday night.  Won't give a detailed review, because everything I would say is on par with everybody else's reviews.  Suffice it to say, best theatre in Kansas City metro... hands down.  Excellent execution. 

Only complaint.  The volume may have been a bit excessive.  I'm a young guy, no hearing issues, and IMO the movie was uncomfortably loud at times.  Especially during the previews.  The GF had the same complaint. 

Bar/lounge area was amazing.  Live music around 6:30 when we arrived.  All around, two thumbs up.  Place is fantastic.  The only reason I will ever go to another theatre is if the movie I want to see isn't being played at Mainstreet. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I wonder if AMC is obligated to show some of the movies for more than one week.  You'd think they would change most of the non-blockbuster movies every week to keep it fresh.

On Star Trek, (spoiler alert), the idea of a new timeline for the main characters was a brilliant idea.  It opens the door to have their own new history for many more movies and not have to worry about legacy consistency.  I'm no trekkie but am familiar enough with Gene Roddenberry philosophy that he would roll over in his grave (cryogenic capsule?) due to how some things were handled.  The 'enemy' would not have been destroyed by Kirk.  Roddenberry would either have them destroy themselves or have them come to realization of their wrongdoing. It had more of the Star Wars good vs. evil mythology vibe, not as much of the Roddenberry humanity thing.  Great entertainment though.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the old kirk was a pussy. cartoon violence and murder is here to stay!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Midland has little to nothing going on this Summer. Hope they pick it up this Fall.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

The Wife and I watched the Hangover here last night - GREAT movie.  On a side note, we both ate dinner in the Cinema Suite (which was 100% full on a Monday night) and we were very unimpressed with the quality of the food.  We don't plan on ordering dinner anymore until they change their menu and get less fried/greasy food.  Seriously, my chicken sandwhich tasted like it was dunked in the fryer before they served it.  Overall though, we love the theatre and practically refuse to go anywhere else to watch a flick now.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

cityscape wrote: The Wife and I watched the Hangover here last night - GREAT movie.  On a side note, we both ate dinner in the Cinema Suite (which was 100% full on a Monday night) and we were very unimpressed with the quality of the food.  We don't plan on ordering dinner anymore until they change their menu and get less fried/greasy food.  Seriously, my chicken sandwhich tasted like it was dunked in the fryer before they served it.  Overall though, we love the theatre and practically refuse to go anywhere else to watch a flick now.
I had a pretty similar take a week or so ago - great experience but pretty unappetizing menu.  Its really just a very small selection of burgers/sandwhichs.  The waffle fries were by far the highlight of the meal.  I can see that they would want to keep things relatively simple given the logistics but an entree that doesn't come on bread would be welcome. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Quesadillas were really, really great.  I've also had the burgers and they are good.  As said, the fries are really good.  Deserts I've had are not very good. 

On another note, I'm not sure why anyone would go to the non Cinema Suites.  Tickets are $12 instead of $10 for the suites.  Sure you have to buy food but you get a much better seat and experience.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Anyone have any feedback on the shrimp app.?  It sounded like the tastiest thing on the menu and I was tempted but I was concerned it might be like two shrimp.  Could it make for a light meal? 
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I've been to the CinemaSuites (same setup) in the Olathe location and can't wait to get downtown.  What an awesome experience!!!!  I also thought the quesadillas were pretty tasty, and the veggie tray deal was really good too.  I totally understand the criticism/complaints on the food and wish the menu were a little less fried-esque, but seriously, what are we expecting from a movie theater, we aren't at Capital Grill here people.  ;-)  
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

beautyfromashes wrote: On another note, I'm not sure why anyone would go to the non Cinema Suites.  Tickets are $12 instead of $10 for the suites.  Sure you have to buy food but you get a much better seat and experience.
Huh? Tickets are $10 on every screen unless you see a movie in 3D.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

The cinema suites are $20 but $10 of that is in the form of a food voucher so you'll spend money on food/drink.  So in actuality tickets are $10, but you're forced to pay another $10 in food/drinks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Only time I have been to the suites I had the walnut turkey sandwich which has HUGE and pretty good but I do remember it being greasy (luckily I split it)...also ordered popcorn which had to be the biggest bowl of popcorn I have ever seen.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

PumpkinStalker wrote: The cinema suites are $20 but $10 of that is in the form of a food voucher so you'll spend money on food/drink.  So in actuality tickets are $10, but you're forced to pay another $10 in food/drinks.
Wonder how long they'll have that promotion. If you're going for dinner...it really doesn't cost much extra.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain