Professional Building?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Professional Building?

Post by KC ROO »

As I am looking for places to move downtown, the one that peeks my interest the most is the Professional Building, for its location and price, it just can't be beat. I visited them during the downtown homes tour and was impressed with the size and quality with the exception of the kitchen cabinits which where very cheap. I have some reservations considering regarding the tenet mix being that it is for low income persons. While I am not opposed low income developments at all, as we know a large concentration can often lead to negative outcomes. In addition to that I am interested in how responsive the property mamage rs are. Are they being well maintained, and do you think the bus station across the street could be detrimental to the development in anyway. I want to stress that I enjoy urban spaces and am not afraid of living downtown and being amongst people of different economic backgrounds, I just want to be sure that where I decide to move will provide me with a quality living environment where I and my guest can feel comfortable being in and around. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by KC ROO on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make no small plans: they have no magic to stir men's blood,"  Daniel Burnham.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Professional Building?

Post by tat2kc »

what bus station across the street?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC ROO »

at the corner of 11th & Grand, on the North Side of 11th St. across from the Professional Building.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

well, it is well-documented that the east side of downtown is currently the more "seedy" part of downtown.  Grand, in my opinion, is basically the "Troost" of the current east-west divide downtown.  thus 11th and Grand indeed puts you relatively close to the comparatively seedy "East Loop" (Government District) which is pretty inhospitable at night.

however, i think it is a solid investment because the East Loop is becoming better and better all the time.  any "seediness" there that might deter you is being erased steadily as downtown development creeps eastward.  you have the Sprint Center and P+L District 2 blocks away starting at roughly 13th and Grand, the East Village housing developments are on the horizon, the redevelopment of the View and Manhattan are complete, and there are several smaller-scale projects rehabbing that area of downtown. 

do not fear.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

There are a lot of poor people of color massed at those bus stops and I am sure that probably makes some folks uncomfortable but you have to keep in mind that those people didn't pay for a fare and ride the bus downtown just to rob and cause mayhem - they probably all have jobs in the area.  I would be a lot more concerned about the addicts and homeless folks to the east and north than I would any of the folks at the bus stop.
KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC ROO »

I am not so concerned for myself, and race is not an issue for me, being an African American male. I am more concerned about my Girlfriend coming down there at night, and again about the maintenance of the property itself. Thanks for your comments though. Do any of you know anyone who is currently renting there.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

At this point, its anyone's guess about maintainance. They haven't been open long enough to have a track record. I'd bet, though, that they're going to be pretty on target with maintainance and security from the beginnning. The city wouldn't tolerate a bad rep for a newly renovated loft building so close to the entertainment district. 

I do wish there were more market rate spaces though. I hate that they are dedicating such large amounts of apts to lower income folks. I'd rather see more market rate places mixed in so that they don't end up segregated so much,
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I would think that the no dog policy would be an indication that they plan on maintaining to a high standard.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

tat2kc wrote:

I do wish there were more market rate spaces though. I hate that they are dedicating such large amounts of apts to lower income folks. I'd rather see more market rate places mixed in so that they don't end up segregated so much,
Sorry to be lazy and not look it up myself but I'm sure others are wondering as well....

What percentage or number of total units in the Professional Building are "low-income"? And what does low-income mean? Is it the restriction like in some other apartments where a single person has to make below $28K or something?
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

KC ROO wrote: I am not so concerned for myself, and race is not an issue for me, being an African American male. I am more concerned about my Girlfriend coming down there at night, and again about the maintenance of the property itself. Thanks for your comments though. Do any of you know anyone who is currently renting there.
I hear you on that man. My girlfriend is my main concern because she will be living with me once I get out on my own (I'm 20). I hate to sound like a douche, but in regards to my GF things like the "attempted rape" in midtown scare me. If I didn't have a girl, I wouldn't care. I have no issues with the people around the bus stop. I wait there a couple times a week to ride the bus out to Independence. Like somebody else said, most people are coming or going to their jobs and aren't bad people. If you don't act like a douche or pretentious (like a suburbadork who is unfamiliar with poor or black people), people won't bother you. In fact, I even engage in small talk with many of the people waiting on the buses with me.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

Stockton wrote: Sorry to be lazy and not look it up myself but I'm sure others are wondering as well....

What percentage or number of total units in the Professional Building are "low-income"? And what does low-income mean? Is it the restriction like in some other apartments where a single person has to make below $28K or something?
"Low income" refers to affordable housing which falls under either tax credit or section 8 units.  The entire Professional building is tax credit, meaning, as you said, that a single person cannot qualify if they make more than $28K or if they are a student.  Typically you'll encounter more "sketchy" individuals in a section 8 subsidized building than a TC one.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Brodees wrote: "Low income" refers to affordable housing which falls under either tax credit or section 8 units.  The entire Professional building is tax credit, meaning, as you said, that a single person cannot qualify if they make more than $28K or if they are a student.  Typically you'll encounter more "sketchy" individuals in a section 8 subsidized building than a TC one.
Wow, I read an old Business Journal article and it confirms, like you said, that all units are designated affordable. It's wonderful to have affordable housing options, which will benefit me as I doubt I'll get a very lucrative job because I don't think I'll end up in college, not even CC for the time being, and I would like to get out on my own. But all affordable units in one building? So much for more diversity in one building.

I wouldn't mind living in this building, considering how close it is to the P&L district including the grocery store! However, if I were to become a mail carrier or bus driver, I couldn't even qualify.That seems a bit ridiculous. I wonder how it works when there are two incomes on the lease.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

Stockton wrote: Wow, I read an old Business Journal article and it confirms, like you said, that all units are designated affordable. It's wonderful to have affordable housing options, which will benefit me as I doubt I'll get a very lucrative job because I don't think I'll end up in college, not even CC for the time being, and I would like to get out on my own. But all affordable units in one building? So much for more diversity in one building.

I wouldn't mind living in this building, considering how close it is to the P&L district including the grocery store! However, if I were to become a mail carrier or bus driver, I couldn't even qualify.That seems a bit ridiculous. I wonder how it works when there are two incomes on the lease.
I believe the income restriction levels increase by about $4k per each additional individual that will be living there.  A single individual is just under 29K, two are just under 33k and three people are about 37k.  One of the advantages of tax credit units compared to those of Section 8 is that they don't run an annual tenant income certification once you've initially qualified.  Thus, you can pursue a job that meets the qualifications and then move to a higher paying job at any point thereafter without risking your tenancy.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Wow. $33K. Like I said before, ridiculous. If a couple both had jobs starting out, even at a place like CVS, they wouldn't qualify. Retarded. Who the hell lives in these, only single people?

I can say I enjoyed the latter 2 sentences of your post. Thanks for the knowledge. One of us would just have to work part-time, or not at all, at first. :D

But these low-income levels now have me sharing some of KC Roo's concerns.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

While they're certainly tough to meet, the numbers are not arbitrary.  I believe they reflect 60% of the area's median income.  (If anyone has a more thorough knowledge in this field, please feel free to correct me.)  So basically your income cannot exceed 60% of that median income in order to qualify.  Glad I could help out ... sorry it's such pain. :wink:
KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC ROO »

You are correct Brodees, they reflect 60% of the median income. I also like the fact once you qualify that's it, that's another reason that is attractive to me. I am currently finishing my masters at UMKC in Public Administration, Urban Administration Emphasis. I received my BA from UMKC in 2005 in Urban Affairs Emphasis Urban Planning and Minor in Sociology. Again I am not so concerned about myself, I enjoy the diversity of urban living and at 24 yrs old I can take care of myself, however as some others have stated my concern is for my girlfriend who is not as urban minded and just for her over all safety. I am going to check them out again and see how they are now that they are open, when I looked at them the first time they were not occupied. I hope they have good insulation in the walls so I wouldn't have to hear the neighbors too much.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

KC ROO, I was told by the leasing agent there that they don't allow students.
KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC ROO »

I know students aren't allowed, but how will they know if I don't tell them.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Burton wrote: KC ROO, I was told by the leasing agent there that they don't allow students.
I'm pretty sure that's against the law.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Students aren't eligible for subsided rent. That is the law.