Playstation 3

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Playstation 3

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Ok, I know some of you are a LOT more advanced with this kind of stuff than I am. I was thinking about getting this for my son as a gift. What do you guys think about the + / - of this, he's mainly just into sports games. Is there going to be a chance at all for getting one before Christmas without paying $1,000 on Ebay?
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Playstation 3

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Short answer, No.

Sony only released 500,000 systems to the U.S. for the first 6 months. Microsoft released 3 million to the U.S. in Xbox 360's first year. Since Asia is Sony's number 1 priority systems are hard to find for the first year.

The best bet is to go to local gamestops or EB Games and stop in frequently to the ones around you an see if anyone has already traded in their systems.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

i was the only kid on the block, or heck..the whole neighborhood with a ps2 for a LONG time...like a good 7 months+  ...i heard my grandpa paid 800 for it...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I would find out whether your son has a brand preference between Sony or XBOX - people tend to be brand loyal to the point of hysteria on these things.  If by chance he prefers the XBOX 360 you will be in luck as the price is a bit cheaper and they will be much more readily available since they have been out for a year.  If he is dedicated to the Sony than you probably better plan on filing that gift idea away until next year because those things aren't going to be readily available anytime soon.  
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Yeah my neighbor reserved a system and they said he wont be getting it anytime before Mid December and the last shipment will be in the middle of February.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

whats the specs on all 3 big new systems...or the newest 3...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Wow, only 500,000 for the first 6 months? Sounds like I might as well pre-order the Playstation 4, might get it quicker.  :wink:
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

i'll be heading out to a local electronics establishment sometime on wednesday to sit in line for a ps3.  it's my last ditch effort to make some money by selling it on ebay thursday night.

btw, sony is only releasing 400,000 on release date.  they plan on having 2(?) million out "by the end of the year".
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I'm going to get up late on Sunday, get some coffee and French toast, then mosey down to a Sears and pick up a Nintendo Wii.  And then play tennis in my living room all afternoon.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

All the big sports games (like Madden and the other EA games) tend to come out for each system, so if that's what he enjoys most, then it doesn't really matter whether you get him a PS3 or Xbox 360.  Personally for the kind of money they're asking for a PS3, I want the damn thing made of solid gold, so I'd pass on that.  Xbox is a little cheaper, or Wii is a lot cheaper, and I'm pretty sure Nintendo also gets the sports games (although I never owned a Gamecube so I'm not entirely sure).

Wii is pretty much the only one I'm even considering.  I thought I wouldn't buy another console after I got my PS2, just because my interest level in videogames in general has been waning for the past several years.  But it is hard to pass up a new Zelda game, and I could play all the Gamecube games that I missed by not owning one of those too...
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

The reason the PS3 out-prices the other two platforms is..  The PS3 will also serve as HD DVD player (Blu-Ray)  So if you think you will be in the market for a HD DVD player in the near future, the PS3 could kill two birds with one stone.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

just as a quick point of clarification, there is a difference between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players.  both formats are not compatable with the other.

in other words, you will be able to play blu-ray discs on a ps3, but not HD-DVD discs.

meanwhile, if you buy the add-on, you can play HD-DVD discs on an xbox 360, but not blu-ray discs.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

shaffe wrote: just as a quick point of clarification, there is a difference between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players.  both formats are not compatable with the other.

in other words, you will be able to play blu-ray discs on a ps3, but not HD-DVD discs.

meanwhile, if you buy the add-on, you can play HD-DVD discs on an xbox 360, but not blu-ray discs.
Yup, my bad.

..and that’s really sad!!  Instead of Sony and Toshiba coming together to create one compatible next generation format..  They’d rather stick it to the consumer by creating two competing formats.  Which means one will eventually succumb to the other and we ,the consumer, will be stuck with another $1000 laserdisc player that’s now worthless.

Instead of the government chasing around baseball players and making them pee in a cup for steroids..  I think this DVD format ‘problem’ is an issue I would feel much better with spending my tax dollars for them to butt in and fix.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

HD-DvD is pretty much already accepted as the one that will be the standard....why?  Because it will have many more things to play it than Blue ray...which even though both are propreitary...sony seems to have more of a lock down on their technology and wants everything run through them at this point...which is why blue ray has the bigger question mark right now...for the future uses...
THINK (ONE) KC.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: without paying $1,000 on Ebay?
they are going for $2500 a pop..  right now on ebay!

WHO? WHO?!?! would pay $2500 for a playstation?
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

There are five fundamental forces in the universe. In increasing strength, they are:  gravity, electromagnetic, weak nuclear, strong nuclear, and hype.
A fool and your money are soon united.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Nintendo Wii $279.99 Nov. 19th.

Get in line now and you will have one on Sunday.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Or you could just casually walk in at noon on sunday and still get one....
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

At my wal-mart store, we had people waiting in line on Tuesday for the PS3. We even gave them chairs. Since we are a 24 hour store, no one had to wait out in the cold, but goddamn waiting 4 days in line is just crazy.

On a side note, there was no line at the wal-mart in KCK at 6am this morning. Its not a 24 hour store.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCK wrote: At my wal-mart store, we had people waiting in line on Tuesday for the PS3. We even gave them chairs. Since we are a 24 hour store, no one had to wait out in the cold, but goddamn waiting 4 days in line is just crazy.

On a side note, there was no line at the wal-mart in KCK at 6am this morning. Its not a 24 hour store.
I do not know what the demand is for this PS3 but my son wanted an Xbox 360 last Christmas.  By the time we got to the states they were sold out and incoming shipments were considerably smaller than demand.  People waited in overnight lines to buy them but most of them were there for the resale value, they turned around and sold them on E-bay for 100-200% profit.  My son never got one as were not willing to pay an inflated value for something he was only going to lose interest in over the course of the next month.