What operating system do you use?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.

What operating system do you primarily use when accessing KC Skyscrapers?

Windows (2000/XP/Vista)
54%
Macintosh (OS X/Classic)
35%
Unix (Linux)
8%
Mobile (Symbian/Palm/Windows)
No votes
Other (Please specify to satiate our curiosity)
3%

Total votes: 72

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

What operating system do you use?

Post by DaveKCMO »

triggered by toss' conversion to mac.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: What operating system do you use?

Post by KC0KEK »

Any other Windows Mobile users on this board besides me?
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I wondered on another thread how many Mac users were on board. I'll have to keep checking the results of this poll. Now, it's 5 out of 9. I can't believe Macs will "win out" here. (I use one.)
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Speaking of OSs, I'd like some advice about re-installing XP. I always oversize my PCs so they'll have enough memory and processing power to keep up for at least four years. But Windows always is the weak link, getting slower and slower as the years go by and things such as the registry get gummed up.

I know that before re-installing, I need to back up my files. But does re-installation wipe out the entire hard drive, like reformatting does? Or do all the other apps remain? For example, after I re-install XP, do I have to re-install Norton Internet Security?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I have two windows xp machines, one desktop one laptop, and also a mac now.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KC0KEK wrote: Speaking of OSs, I'd like some advice about re-installing XP. I always oversize my PCs so they'll have enough memory and processing power to keep up for at least four years. But Windows always is the weak link, getting slower and slower as the years go by and things such as the registry get gummed up.

I know that before re-installing, I need to back up my files. But does re-installation wipe out the entire hard drive, like reformatting does? Or do all the other apps remain? For example, after I re-install XP, do I have to re-install Norton Internet Security?
The best kind of a reinstall you can do, to ensure performance and stability, is to reformat(wipe) the drive, and install on that. But in any case, reinstalling windows will remove what is already there, and if you choose an option that doesn't wipe things clean, there's little point in reinstalling.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to get a second(very big) hard drive, and keep all your stuff on that. I'm talking about music, movies, documents, passwords, saved games, pictures, CD images, and the like. I'm not talking about programs, games, or your operating system. That way, when you reinstall(wipe your system drive), you won't have lost anything except the programs you'd installed.

Another tip: Don't ever use Norton ever again. Or McAffee. Or ZoneAlarm. They are big, heavy applications that take over your computer. If you need an antivirus solution, I highly *highly* recommend AVG Free. It's simply the best antivirus I've ever used. The upgrade to the commercial edition($70) is also highly recommended.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Of course I use Windows. Just about everyone that works in an office does. So I don't think that counts. I am a linux evangelist. I love linux, and it loves me.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

My dell desktop machine occasionally gets buggered up with various forms of spyware, and the Norton doesn't seem to detect most of it. I downloaded and purchased a product called Aluria Security Center, which seems much more thorough at getting rid of the undesirables.

I have a question, does my MacBook come with a firewall? I can't find anything about it.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

the roastarie, but right now im out of reach of its market and im operating on foldgers.  :(
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

oh, usually windows 98.  8)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Tosspot wrote: My dell desktop machine occasionally gets buggered up with various forms of spyware, and the Norton doesn't seem to detect most of it. I downloaded and purchased a product called Aluria Security Center, which seems much more thorough at getting rid of the undesirables.

I have a question, does my MacBook come with a firewall? I can't find anything about it.
Most non-windows operating systems have all the ports closed or in stealth mode by default, except for the ones you explicitly want open. You don't need a software firewall.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

bahua wrote: The best kind of a reinstall you can do, to ensure performance and stability, is to reformat(wipe) the drive, and install on that. But in any case, reinstalling windows will remove what is already there, and if you choose an option that doesn't wipe things clean, there's little point in reinstalling.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to get a second(very big) hard drive, and keep all your stuff on that. I'm talking about music, movies, documents, passwords, saved games, pictures, CD images, and the like. I'm not talking about programs, games, or your operating system. That way, when you reinstall(wipe your system drive), you won't have lost anything except the programs you'd installed.

Another tip: Don't ever use Norton ever again. Or McAffee. Or ZoneAlarm. They are big, heavy applications that take over your computer. If you need an antivirus solution, I highly *highly* recommend AVG Free. It's simply the best antivirus I've ever used. The upgrade to the commercial edition($70) is also highly recommended.
Thanks for the tips. So for my next computer, should I have the second HD installed inside the box? Or outboard? I assume that outboard would be slower because USB is slower than the internal interconnects, right?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KC0KEK wrote: Thanks for the tips. So for my next computer, should I have the second HD installed inside the box? Or outboard? I assume that outboard would be slower because USB is slower than the internal interconnects, right?
Yeah. An internal drive would probably be best.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Its windows 2000 professional on every machine I own. Toss try Addaware to cut down on the spyware.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

anniewarbucks wrote: Toss try Addaware to cut down on the spyware.
I have that too, but it's still not as thorough as Aluria. Last year I had a keylogger lodged in my Dell desktop and nothing even detected it or get rid of it except for the Aluria scanner.

photoblog. 

anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

What is alirias website? I might try it to see how it works.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Toss, how do you get spyware? Do you use IE or Outlook? I never get any spyware/adware/malware.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

anniewarbucks wrote: What is alirias website? I might try it to see how it works.
google: aluria
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

bahua wrote: Toss, how do you get spyware? Do you use IE or Outlook? I never get any spyware/adware/malware.
I use the firefox browser, and mozilla thunderbird as the email client. I don't get spyware all that often, but when I do I think it comes from opening suspicious emails in Thunderbird.

photoblog. 

Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Flattery, with a bit of bribery when necessary.
A fool and your money are soon united.