Kansas State Hoops Recruits #1

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Kansas State Hoops Recruits #1

Post by skim82 »

Kansas State landed the #1 recruiting class in the country during the early signing period.

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle ... LID=682154

They have a commitment from the No. 1 recruit in the country in Michael Beasley.

I am excited to see that Kansas could have 3 top 25 basketball programs this year including KU, K-State, and possibly Wichita State.
Last edited by KCMax on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Kansas State #1

Post by BVC »

skim82 wrote:
I am excited to see that Kansas could have 3 top 25 basketball programs this year including KU, K-State, and possibly Wichita State.
That may give chef a heartattack, if the Boston Kreme's don't first...
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

I honestly have to say, as a lifelong Jayhawk fan, this has me excited. Seriously. This raises the whole Big 12 up a notch, and I won't be angry to see Kansas suddenly start being challenged by Top 25 K-State teams. I bet there are people out there who will look at a Top 25 list, see Kansas, read down and see Kansas State, and seriously think there's a typo... it's been a long time since K-State was on the national stage.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

eliphar17 wrote: I honestly have to say, as a lifelong Jayhawk fan, this has me excited. Seriously. This raises the whole Big 12 up a notch, and I won't be angry to see Kansas suddenly start being challenged by Top 25 K-State teams. I bet there are people out there who will look at a Top 25 list, see Kansas, read down and see Kansas State, and seriously think there's a typo... it's been a long time since K-State was on the national stage.
I completely agree. I'm excited for KSU as well.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'd like to see some KU-KSU games on national TV with big time implications. Congrats KSU. Just beware, we've  had some great recruiting classes that ended up being duds. You gotta produce on the court.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

amazing what can happen when a coach can recruit for a year with zero limitations.  8)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCMax wrote: I'd like to see some KU-KSU games on national TV with big time implications. Congrats KSU. Just beware, we've  had some great recruiting classes that ended up being duds. You gotta produce on the court.
Played at the Sprint Center. I don't care if they're both KS teams in a MO arena.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

shaffe wrote: amazing what can happen when a coach can recruit for a year with zero limitations.   8)
It sounds as if the NCAA is already talking about creating "the Bob Huggins Rule" to close this loophole. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

eliphar17 wrote: II bet there are people out there who will look at a Top 25 list, see Kansas, read down and see Kansas State, and seriously think there's a typo... it's been a long time since K-State was on the national stage.
Talk to me about your excitement level when you look at a Top 25 list, see Kansas State, read down see Kansas, and think to yourself that there must be a typo.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: It sounds as if the NCAA is already talking about creating "the Bob Huggins Rule" to close this loophole. 
Huggins did not take advantage of a loophole.  A loophole is a means or opportunity to evade a rule.  A loophole would be what Bielema did against Penn State last week.  He saw a flaw in a rule and he exploited it.  Huggins did not take advantage of a flaw in a rule.  There was no rule period.   

Obviously, as a K-Stater I'm going to give my coach the benefit of the doubt, but as an unemployed individual with no ties to an NCAA University, I don't see why his conduct should be sanctioned by NCAA rules and regulations.  He was fired, and as such, had as much of a right to be out there meeting with recruits as you or me.  Perhaps my view is too simplistic. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

actually he'd probably have more right than you or I (or less rules however you want to look at it, not really a "right")...we are donors to a university and have responsibilities as well that all donors need to be aware of. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: Huggins did not take advantage of a loophole.  A loophole is a means or opportunity to evade a rule.  A loophole would be what Bielema did against Penn State last week.  He saw a flaw in a rule and he exploited it.  Huggins did not take advantage of a flaw in a rule.  There was no rule period.   

Obviously, as a K-Stater I'm going to give my coach the benefit of the doubt, but as an unemployed individual with no ties to an NCAA University, I don't see why his conduct should be sanctioned by NCAA rules and regulations.  He was fired, and as such, had as much of a right to be out there meeting with recruits as you or me.  Perhaps my view is too simplistic. 
The ability of a coach to go out and do essentially anything he wants recruiting while he looks for a job isn't exactly within the spirit of amateurisim esposed by the NCAA.  Just because a coach is sitting out a year means he should be able to call recruits whenever he wants?  Take em out to dinner?  Buy them gifts? Pay their parent's rent? Whatever he wants?  That doesn't exactly jive with what the NCAA is supposed to be all about.  If this loophole stays open why wouldn't in-demand coaches just voluntarily resign from time to time so they can take the gloves off and recruit a championship team to go play someplace else?  Sure there aren't any rules against it now, but don't count on that being the case a year or two from now.  Huggins' technique has become a focus of quite a bit of scruitiny. 
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: ...isn't exactly within the spirit of amateurisim esposed by the NCAA.
Since when did Huggins let ethics get in the way of anything?

I respect K-State a little bit less every day primarily as a result of this hire...
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

since when did anybody in the NCAA follow proper ethics???? Why the hell do people get caught..because they break the rules  :P  If you think the NCAA actually cares then take a look at their profits from tv deals and check out the new college football rules on time management during the game.....instead of simply getting rid of a few tv commercials they elected to shorten the actual game...yet they are supposed to be a non for profit type organization....

p.s. - The BCS is in no way actually a part of the NCAA...the BCS champion is therefore not even the real national champ as reconized by the NCAA...just look at the past few..you will realize that USC only won ONE real award from the NCAA..(they dont recognize split awards) from the okla-usc game..so they would have only had a repeat last year..not a three peat....

laymans terms...the BCS is BS...so is the NCAA's business model...and arkansas state has won the national championship for the last 16 straight years going by some farmers system...that has as much merit to it as saying usc had a repeat according to the BCS...its not actually recognized in any way..its like handing a ribbon to some random team and sayin your a champ...the ncaa doesnt do anything..they pick their own..it could matter less what ANY system thinks...the thing is they usually go along with the BCS because of the cash they provide..but it doesnt mean anything officially...they could choose any top 5 school as the champ (the ncaa)
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

im2kull wrote: since when did anybody in the NCAA follow proper ethics???? Why the hell do people get caught..because they break the rules  :P  If you think the NCAA actually cares then take a look at their profits from tv deals and check out the new college football rules on time management during the game.....instead of simply getting rid of a few tv commercials they elected to shorten the actual game...yet they are supposed to be a non for profit type organization....

p.s. - The BCS is in no way actually a part of the NCAA...the BCS champion is therefore not even the real national champ as reconized by the NCAA...just look at the past few..you will realize that USC only won ONE real award from the NCAA..(they dont recognize split awards) from the okla-usc game..so they would have only had a repeat last year..not a three peat....

laymans terms...the BCS is BS...so is the NCAA's business model...and arkansas state has won the national championship for the last 16 straight years going by some farmers system...that has as much merit to it as saying usc had a repeat according to the BCS...its not actually recognized in any way..its like handing a ribbon to some random team and sayin your a champ...the ncaa doesnt do anything..they pick their own..it could matter less what ANY system thinks...the thing is they usually go along with the BCS because of the cash they provide..but it doesnt mean anything officially...they could choose any top 5 school as the champ (the ncaa)
Objection your honor!  Relevance?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Objection your honor!  Relevance?
nothing..i was pissed...the bcs does that to me
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

49r wrote: Since when did Huggins let ethics get in the way of anything?

I respect K-State a little bit less every day primarily as a result of this hire...
Yet KU/MU go on probation for major violations.  What exactly has made you respect KSU less since the hire?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Yeah, really:  Huggy hasn't done anything at KSU.

give him another month or two.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The ability of a coach to go out and do essentially anything he wants recruiting while he looks for a job isn't exactly within the spirit of amateurisim esposed by the NCAA.  Just because a coach is sitting out a year means he should be able to call recruits whenever he wants?  Take em out to dinner?  Buy them gifts? Pay their parent's rent? Whatever he wants?  That doesn't exactly jive with what the NCAA is supposed to be all about.  If this loophole stays open why wouldn't in-demand coaches just voluntarily resign from time to time so they can take the gloves off and recruit a championship team to go play someplace else?  Sure there aren't any rules against it now, but don't count on that being the case a year or two from now.  Huggins' technique has become a focus of quite a bit of scruitiny. 
Well, let's disect this point for point because I think that your opinion is being skewed by some preconceived idea of Bob Huggins and his recruiting tactics. 

First, Huggins wasn't "sitting out" a year.  He was fired; layed off; unemployed; jobless.  He didn't voluntary step down so that he could take advantage of lessened recruiting regulations.

Second, Huggins didn't take these guys out to dinner, buy them gifts, pay their parent's rent, invite them over to the president's house to party and go out riding on ATV's (see MU), take them into a classroom and cooperatively take exams with them to qualify them academically (see KU), etc. 

Third, even if Huggins had wanted to do these things, I would be very shocked if they wouldn't be considered NCAA violations once it became apparent that the gifts were given with the intent to attract them to a school

Fourth, Huggins knew and recruited every single one of his new signees (Bennet, Colon, Walker, Beasley, etc.) while he was still at Cincinatti.

Fifth, if you're a good enough coach, why would you want to voluntarily resign, lose $600,000 - $1,000,000 in salary just to recruit some players?  Aren't these top notch coaches recruiting throughout the season anyway?  What would the benefit be?   
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

KCPowercat wrote: Yet KU/MU go on probation for major violations.  What exactly has made you respect KSU less since the hire?
Good point.  I never really had any respect for KSU in the first place.