13th Street Bar & Grill

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chuck
Pad site
Pad site

13th Street Bar & Grill

Post by chuck »

I'm not sure if there is any truth to this, but I was told that a sports bar will fill the recently vacated space. The windows are covered with paper and I've heard a lot of work going on inside the past couple of weeks.

Though it's great to see something happening there, does anybody else feel that there are going to be far too many sports bars soon?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 13th Street Bar & Grill

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chuck wrote: does anybody else feel that there are going to be far too many sports bars soon?
People can't get enough of them.  Hell, for the most part, that is the only sort of bar a person can even find in the burbs.  If the burbs can support a sports bar in virtually every strip mall, I would think downtown can afford to add plenty more to catch up.  Besides these are the sorts of places that will make people from the fringe more comfortable downtown. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

It makes perfect sense for that to be a sports bar.  By this time next year it will be in the arena district.  And we've already seen that Wllies, the first sports bar to open in that district, is already overcrowded even without the arena.
chuck
Pad site
Pad site

Post by chuck »

I guess it will be another bar and grill. I just spoke to one of the guy's working there. He said they don't have a name for it yet, but it's supposed to be ready and open next week. They've cleaned it up a lot. The hardwood floor has been redone, the walls have been painted, new lights have been hung and the kitchen is getting new equipment.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Cool! Sports!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Anyone know if this is open yet?  I may need to kill a little time over in the government district tomorrow afternoon.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Went by last night and it was still empty, but definitely under construction.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

i'm interested in what the prices here will be like. 
i've been searching for a cheap place within 3-4 blocks of truman and walnut - i like balanca's and the brick, but i need a place that is a little more ... off the beaten path but also not expensive.  for example, the cigar box is a dive but they charge five freakin' dollars for a boulevard draw.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

FUCK YES ANOTHER SPORTS BAR!!!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

voltopt wrote: i'm interested in what the prices here will be like. 
i've been searching for a cheap place within 3-4 blocks of truman and walnut - i like balanca's and the brick, but i need a place that is a little more ... off the beaten path but also not expensive.  for example, the cigar box is a dive but they charge five freakin' dollars for a boulevard draw.
Hitters was the perfect place before it became 12 Baltimore.  You should check out the Zoo Bar.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

dangerboy wrote: You should check out the Zoo Bar.
You can't beat Zoo for cheapness and quirky ambience but be advised they close around 8pm-ish and their drink selection is limited to hard liquor and canned domestics.  It's one of my faves.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC may have a lot of "sports bars" but we don't have any great ones.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KC may have a lot of "sports bars" but we don't have any great ones.
So, what is a sports bar really? Is it any bar w/TV's that shows sports? I go to McCoy's for more games than any other place, but I never hear anyone call it a "sports bar."

I also watch games at The Flea Market and at Dark Horse - again, not places I hear described as "sports bars." Hell, 12 Baltimore is a pretty good place to watch a game too.

All of the above have one thing in common - they have newer, nice TV's.

I don't mind not having sound for games when I go watch them - so maybe that's a sticking point for some people.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
chuck
Pad site
Pad site

Post by chuck »

According to an employee there, the owner hopes to have a liquor license before St. Patrick's Day, possibly as early as Valentine's Day. With the booze comes longer hours as well, but I'm not sure how late it will stay open. I guess the plan is to have mostly imports on tap.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Stopped by last night.  Nice place.  They got their liquor license Wednesday night and are ready for St Pats (on tap: Guinness, Bass, icky yellow stuff, Pale, Wheat, Irish).  I'm probably going to go there since the crowds will be thinner.

There aren't any TV's up yet; forgot to ask about that.  But the ambiance is nice.

The owner, Andrew, is who's working on the Italian place at 17th at Summit.  He said he stopped work there to focus on opening 13th before the Sprint Center finished up.

They also let me bring my bike inside.  Bonus points!!!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Hooray!  Now I don't have to wait for the P&L open to add another downtown bar to my list.  :)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Kard wrote: Stopped by last night.  Nice place.  They got their liquor license Wednesday night and are ready for St Pats (on tap: Guinness, Bass, icky yellow stuff, Pale, Wheat, Irish).  I'm probably going to go there since the crowds will be thinner.
:lol:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

WSPanic wrote: So, what is a sports bar really? Is it any bar w/TV's that shows sports? I go to McCoy's for more games than any other place, but I never hear anyone call it a "sports bar."
Sports bars have Chiefs helmets on the walls and serve hot wings.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

When I think of a true cliche  "sports bar" I picture a place with indiference to making any food that didn't just come off the Cisco truck and go into the fryer.  Cough. Tannners. Cough.  Not only does McCoy's make their own beer, they actually put some effort into designing a menu that doesn't revolve around chicken fingers, thus absolving them of cliche sports bar status. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

^ exactly.  the "direct from the Cisco" truck thing is exactly the way i describe sports bars (or, alternatively, bad restaurants).  i heard 13th St was like this until its recent remodeling.  i'm going to try it soon for a work lunch so i will report whether it is metro-friendly.  :)