900 Baltimore Ave.

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 900 Baltimore Ave.

Post by loftguy »

grovester wrote: I'l like to learn more about becoming a "clever and frugal develepor", where do we find out more about this fellow? 8)
"Enquiring minds want to know..."

Jones is a grad of the Art Institute.  Ratty-assed old buildings are his canvas.  He sees the jewels beneath the junk.  He has a design sensibility and a passion that most developers lack and that's carried out in his vision of what these old buildings can become.  Often his acheivement is in figuring out how to reuse an awkward or troubling feature of a building and create a unique positive in doing so.

He is masterfull at finding salvage materials from similar vintage structures and incorporating them into a project in attractive and respectful ways.

I'd also call him a pragmatic anarchist.  He doesn't accept the status quo and it's his bent to look for creative solutions to the challanges presented by the bureacracy represented by codes, zoning, lending, lawyers and indian chiefs.

He's not perfect, but after all, there's not room for two of us.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I wonder what's the best way to support such a fellow?  Invest?  Volunteer?  I'm sure he doesn't think so, but these kinds of folks need to be nurtured and rewarded.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote: I wonder what's the best way to support such a fellow?  Invest?  Volunteer?  I'm sure he doesn't think so, but these kinds of folks need to be nurtured and rewarded.
I'd like to support him by buying a condo from him (assuming he makes the upper level into residential).

If this were indeed to come to pass, I have one small request: rooftop garden please. Awesome.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The thing that also troubles me about this situation is that the City would have spent $88,000 to demolish a building that only required $4,000 in emergency stabilization instead.

Had people not protested, an additional $84,000 would have been spent out of the City budget that didn't have to be.

The City's automatic, reactionary impulse to demolish within three days was just wrong. The fact the City didn't question the demolition of a historic structure like that is just wrong.
There is no fifth destination.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote: The thing that also troubles me about this situation is that the City would have spent $88,000 to demolish a building that only required $4,000 in emergency stabilization instead.

Had people not protested, an additional $84,000 would have been spent out of the City budget that didn't have to be.

The City's automatic, reactionary impulse to demolish within three days was just wrong. The fact the City didn't question the demolition of a historic structure like that is just wrong.
Absolutely. Not to sound like a conspiracy nut or something along those lines, but I do think this is a great example of why it is so important for citizens/residents/members of a community to keep reasonable tabs on what their government officials are up to. I'm sure there was nothing underhanded here (I hope) on the City's part. I think it is just as they say, the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. If the only squeak is from the developer, it seems certain he would have gotten his way.

Additionally, if our area tolerated activist government a bit more perhaps the City would feel more comfortable being proactive from a policy standpoint to preserve buildings, etc. Just a thought, I really have nothing to back any of this up.
Last edited by smh on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good question for the city manager and the mayor, agreed?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, this list for city officials is here. Start emailing.

http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 59#p438059

Have fun people.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The question is, who was the original engineer/inspector and who was he working for?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

My question is, demolishing the single story building is part of the TIF plan and development plan developed by GWH Architects.  After this building was demolished, it would seem that appropriate stabilization measures were not made on the adjacent wall - the redistribution of loads could have lead to the precarious situation the city inspector observed.  This is an assumption on my part, but why wasn't the architect's team aware of the potentially dangerous situation?
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

voltopt wrote: My question is, demolishing the single story building is part of the TIF plan and development plan developed by GWH Architects.  After this building was demolished, it would seem that appropriate stabilization measures were not made on the adjacent wall - the redistribution of loads could have lead to the precarious situation the city inspector observed.   This is an assumption on my part, but why wasn't the architect's team aware of the potentially dangerous situation?
You seem to have noted one of the multiple factors contributing to the conspiracy theory that would result in a surface parking lot.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Hate to be jaundiced but all we have so far is a temporary fix and Mr. Jones now casting about for financing.  This is far from all fixed up. 
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

any way to access the competing engineer reports?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Now in order to get his parking lot, poor Mr. Powell will have to drag out negotiations, etc. as long as he can until some other part of the building starts to crumble.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Mr. Powell has a very large parking lot west of this building that I believe is sufficient to serve his development(s). While he may be negligent, I doubt his intentions were to obtain another lot.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'm curious how long the 4k fix will last.  A year, until another freeze/thaw cycle?  What are the logistics of forcing a building owner to maintain their building?  If they don't, and the city maintains (for <10k on an annual basis), are there any forfeiture proceedings available, or condemnation without demolition?  If the sale falls through, but there is no longer a safety issue what happens?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish Shirley Helzberg would buy this building.  She's experienced and somewhat of a local savior.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

FangKC wrote: I wish Shirley Helzberg would buy this building.  She's experienced and somewhat of a local savior.
If I had a dollar for every time someone suggested Shirley buy a building I would be able to buy the building!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, she is richer than God, and she's finishing up the Vitagraph building. :D

I haven't heard of any "next" building in her cue.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Email from Cindy Circo's office:
Below is an explanation from Mr. Mike Schumacher, Neighborhood & Community Services, regarding the Cosby Hotel:

The City does not, as a practice, use taxpayer dollars to improve private properties. In this case the building is still far from being in compliance with city code and will still be designated as a dangerous building. This is a temporary solution designed to buy the building some time until the owner brings it into compliance.

We do check with the historical society on properties like this. In this case it is not a registered historical building. (I do not know the details, they know about it but there is no certificate or something). This group is also notified about every demolition prior to demolition.

It is unfortunate for everyone involved when property owners let their property fall into such disrepair that the City has to be involved at any level.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Get involved sooner. It's not difficult to inspect buildings. Kinda your JOB.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc