Closed Bars and Restaurants

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Closed Bars and Restaurants

Post by bahua »

Did anyone ever make it to Big Daddy's, where Harry's is now?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Coyote Grill
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

bahua wrote: Did anyone ever make it to Big Daddy's, where Harry's is now?
Yeah, it was ok.  Owned by the Martini Corner guys.  Bar was smaller and on the other side of the room.  Food was decent, but nothing special.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, Big Daddy's was pretty OK. Not as good as Jazz, but when Lonnie Ray played out on the deck it was pretty happenin.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

Back in the day....

when the River Quay was as busy as Westport (1972-1974) there were some great bars and restaurants. 

Ebenezers
and another just to the south and across the street on Delaware that had an open courtyard (can't remember the name)
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Dinkeldorf's Deli was on the courtyard in the lower level of 510 Delaware.  The Boiler Room was in the basement of the building to the south.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chrizow wrote: Dos Hombres, at roughly 87th and Blue Ridge in SKC.  their all you can eat taco bar was incredible.  mmmm. 

also in the blue ridge/bannister area:  Darryl's, Hickory Chick, Dunkin Donuts, McCoy's Family Restaurant.
Bishops, bitch!

And Tippins, which was good in it's time.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

WSPanic wrote: Anyone remember Baby Doe's? I do - but just vaguely from childhood.
I remember this place well.  It was an awesome restaurant sitting on a bluff with absolutely incredible views of downtown.  It closed down because it was built on a portion of the hill that was sloughing off and undermining the foundation....always get those geotech surveys done before building!  The food was good though.  The concept came out of Denver, I believe they had (have?) one just off Highway 6 in Lakewood (or some point west of Denver city). 

Is there anything on this hill today....its a great location to let go to waste. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: The Cabaret
Sidney's
XO
Have a Nice Day
Canyon Cafe
Kabal
Pyramid Pizza (which is actually still open, but in oak grove)
Japengo
13th St. Bar + Grill
Cafe Allegro  This one was heartbreaking :(
Metropolis
AC's Garage
Hurricane (??)
Here's a few more....all between Ward Parkway and Stateline and 85th and 75th.

Steak and Ale
Costello's Greenhouse  :(
Rusty Pelikan.....actually a very nice place
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

damn, i forgot my favorite, over by the truman sports complex.

s.a. sanders pan fried chicken

and another fast food one i forgot

grandy's
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

KCLofts wrote: Still there.  The restaurant is called Mario's and the sandwiches are called grinders.  And they are very good!
Oh, that's right. Mario's.
bahua wrote: Also, the Sidney's I was referring to was one Broadway and Valentine, where Chubby's used to be. Filthy, but awesome.
Oh, sorry. Is the one spelled "Sydney's" still there?
What happened to the Golden Ox? I thought that was still there!
I listed it as a "closed" one I had visited because someone else listed it first. Hey, I've been gone for seven years!

Is Dixon's Chili still around? It started in Independence about when Harry Truman was President. I know there was one downtown in the 60s and 70s because I ate there all the time. There were several throughout the city.
WSPanic wrote: Anyone remember Baby Doe's? I do - but just vaguely from childhood.
I do, too. But I was in my 20s.
Highlander wrote: I remember this place well.  It was an awesome restaurant sitting on a bluff with absolutely incredible views of downtown.   It closed down because it was built on a portion of the hill that was sloughing off and undermining the foundation....always get those geotech surveys done before building!  The food was good though.  The concept came out of Denver, I believe they had (have?) one just off Highway 6 in Lakewood (or some point west of Denver city). 
I heard the parent company would build fascinating restaurants in (on) quite unusual and unexpected sites in big cities. I ate dinner at such a restaurant in Houston in the early 80s. Can't remember the name, but it was located right on a canal, where gigantic cargo ships slowly navigated. These were not little barges. You'd be sitting at a table next to a window wall (at night) eating your steak, and you'd sense this monstrous, dark, building-like thing silently inching by, only a few feet away.

Back to KC. Or KCK. I worked just off Rainbow on 7th Street or so and ate at Go-Chicken-Go. Is it still there?

How about Smuggler's Inn? I used to disco there every Friday night in the 70s. Lotsa fun. Singapore Slings were my favorite.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

scooterj wrote: Just after the "Freshly Dead" gag I leaned out the back door of the station wagon and became reaquianted with the meal I had just eaten.
I laughed so hard at this, my husband asked me what was so funny. I couldn't get the words out because they were even funnier when I tried to repeat them.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

kcdcchef wrote: damn, i forgot my favorite, over by the truman sports complex.

s.a. sanders pan fried chicken

and another fast food one i forgot

grandy's
OMG...Grandy's...rofl! They're still around in the south. Same with Po' Folks. What about Brown's Fried Chicken? Someone probably mentioned it already, I dunno...they're still in Chicago.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

mean wrote: OMG...Grandy's...rofl! They're still around in the south. Same with Po' Folks. What about Brown's Fried Chicken? Someone probably mentioned it already, I dunno...they're still in Chicago.
ahhh yes, but they are not in kc.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

They were when I was a kid. :)
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

mean wrote: They were when I was a kid. :)
oh no doubt, my parents and myself used to go to the po folks on south noland road. and get fried chicken from grandy's off of stadium drive. i remember freddie patek being involved with grandy's, i thought perhaps it was his chain but now i guess he was just an investor? not sure really.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I assume he was just a local franchisee?? I dunno.
chuck
Pad site
Pad site

Post by chuck »

bahua wrote: You mean Happy Joe's that's all over Eastern Iowa, Southwestern Wisconsin, and Northeast Illinois? I lived on their taco pizza when I was in college. That's a surprise that they were once this far southwest.
Happy Joe's taco pizza is the shit.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Along the lines of Grandys...  I miss Mrs. Winners Chicken and Biscuits.  The big yellow place.  Used to have one in Blue Springs years ago where the Captain D's is now.

Now I'm hungry for chicken at 9am.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

Happy Joe's has the best Canadian Bacon.  It was shredded and they loaded it on.... tasty!!!!
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows