Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by FangKC »

The only solution is to continue adding housing to the River Market, the Riverfront Park area, Columbus Park, and near the north Loop. Additional residents will create demand for night hours.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

staubio wrote:There is a classic chicken/egg problem with the City Market. Tenants don't want to stick with consistent later hours because there is a lunch and festival mentality. A few have tried and they didn't stick.

I think we need some sort of City Market Flash Mob where we get the businesses open at night and we go fill their chairs in support. While that happens, we can start to fix the design issues that make the City Market pre-disposed to special events and lousy at being part of a neighborhood.
Definitely. I've long thought the interior of City Market should be more this:
...than this...
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

bobbyhawks wrote: Definitely. I've long thought the interior of City Market should be more this:
Exactly. In my fantasies, the Steamboat Arabia museum would move, the actual market type amenities would move in there (like every other market I've ever been to). The overhangs and parking could be taken out of the square which would allow for better patio seating for restaurants and give it a more city square type of feel.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I just heard Sushi By Me is closing in April. Shame, they actually had the later hours people are saying they want.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ColumbusParkian wrote:I just heard Sushi By Me is closing in April. Shame, they actually had the later hours people are saying they want.
Ugh, that sucks. Good sushi, and a hell of a nice guy.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I wonder if he'd have more success in the spot formerly housing Tamale Wizard
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ColumbusParkian wrote:I wonder if he'd have more success in the spot formerly housing Tamale Wizard
Certainly a more visible spot. Hopefully he is able to make another run at it somewhere else. Nice guy, hate to see him close.
KCTonicClassic
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCTonicClassic »

He told me he was considering the spot across the highway on Walnut that used to be a Thai restaurant. Personally, I think that is a terrible location, but the rent is good. His other option is to just go get a job. I will really miss them in the market. He is a super great guy and wish him the best.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It seems to me like the rivermarket could use a parking garage at 5th and Main

the market crowds on the weekend doubtless takes away from resident parking plus this would clear up space to replace parking with buildings. the city owns the lots and could use the income to build the garage and the buildings would be far more valuable to the city

adding more residential a block off of the market would provide more need for evening amenities at the market too.

the city could lease space to area residential buildings as well and not need as much to go in
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, there needs to be a public parking garage on the NW corner of 5th and Main to serve the entire neighborhood. This is an opportunity for the City to work with a developer to get that built, and also place about three or four floors of apartments on top of the garage. The same thing could be done south of 5th Street on Main.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:
ColumbusParkian wrote:I wonder if he'd have more success in the spot formerly housing Tamale Wizard
Certainly a more visible spot. Hopefully he is able to make another run at it somewhere else. Nice guy, hate to see him close.
my wife works with his wife. she reminded me the family owns a restaurant in Liberty too.

It's the cook at the table place by the theater.

it's worth going to.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:Yes, there needs to be a public parking garage on the NW corner of 5th and Main to serve the entire neighborhood. This is an opportunity for the City to work with a developer to get that built, and also place about three or four floors of apartments on top of the garage. The same thing could be done south of 5th Street on Main.
not what I was thinking, but also a good idea.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote:Yes, there needs to be a public parking garage on the NW corner of 5th and Main to serve the entire neighborhood. This is an opportunity for the City to work with a developer to get that built, and also place about three or four floors of apartments on top of the garage. The same thing could be done south of 5th Street on Main.

We'll put a woman on it.

(the guys haven't been able to get it done.)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The parking garage provides multipurpose parking for several entities, and the apartments on top of it add more residents who will frequent the retail at City Market and nearby. Why waste such a large parcel just for parking?

The River Market needs more residents than anything else. Retail has had a history of struggling there, thus there are not enough residents within walking distance.

I might even go higher: a 6-story building on top of the parking garage. It would depend on how much parking would be needed for that number of apartments and residents. You would need parking for the residents, and enough left-over spaces to service City Market and other local merchants nearby.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.108321,- ... 1,,0,-2.57

The entrance to the apartment building could be on Delaware, and use that vacant parcel next to the white building to construct a narrow building with lobby and corridor, and additional apartments on top of that, and then use a glassed in bridge over the alley to reach the apartments over the garage.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.108691,- ... eg=90&z=20

The same could be done on the SW corner of 5th and Main putting a garage underneath four-to-six-stories of apartments running to Independence Avenue. The entrance/lobby to the building could be on Delaware as well using one of the current vacant parcels there that fronts the street. Small retail could be built on the corner of Independence and Delaware. and the SE corner of 5th and Delaware where the surface lot is now. Some apartments could be placed on top of those corners as well.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.107831,- ... g=270&z=20

Potential retail infill on Delaware--one-to-four stories.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.107615,- ... 55,,0,1.43

NE corner of Delaware and Independence Avenue. Retail at street level and apartments on top at corner wrapping around to those atop the garage in back.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.107333,- ... 2,,0,-7.48

SE corner of 5th and Delaware.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.107975,- ... 9,,0,-2.18

The two garages would also free up some of the other surface parking lots around 5th and Main for development of other new infill buildings.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.108321,- ... 3,,0,-8.42

I would also go so far as to excavate City Market Park and put a below-grade parking garage under it as well, so that an apartment building could be placed on the SE corner of 3rd and Delaware. The park would be rebuilt on top of the below-grade parking.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.109531,- ... eg=90&z=20
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCTonicClassic wrote:He told me he was considering the spot across the highway on Walnut that used to be a Thai restaurant. Personally, I think that is a terrible location, but the rent is good. His other option is to just go get a job. I will really miss them in the market. He is a super great guy and wish him the best.
apparently this is likely to happen
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:
KCTonicClassic wrote:He told me he was considering the spot across the highway on Walnut that used to be a Thai restaurant. Personally, I think that is a terrible location, but the rent is good. His other option is to just go get a job. I will really miss them in the market. He is a super great guy and wish him the best.
Why do you say that?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:
flyingember wrote:
Why do you say that?
re-read my post of feb 16 (on this page). my wife works with his wife

since I realised I was unclear, I was referring to them moving as most likely to happen
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Impromptu snowman building contest in the River Market!

Sponsored by several RM eateries with prizes to be awarded.

Pay attention to the minimal rules, though.

Now this has the makings of Saturday fun!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/mrkt3?fref=ts
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

staubio wrote:There is a classic chicken/egg problem with the City Market. Tenants don't want to stick with consistent later hours because there is a lunch and festival mentality. A few have tried and they didn't stick.

I think we need some sort of City Market Flash Mob where we get the businesses open at night and we go fill their chairs in support. While that happens, we can start to fix the design issues that make the City Market pre-disposed to special events and lousy at being part of a neighborhood.
Sign up in Habashi House today "effective April 1st, we will be open from 11:00 to 8:00, Mon-Sat"

Talked to them and they are skeptical that people will come in the evening. They tried it 6-7 years ago and that they averaged less than a dozen people per night. Sounds like we need to show them that it's a different day in the market.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Can we call up that flashmob, now?