GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCMax wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:Let's try something out...Maxwell vs. Myers for each team this year. Numbers per AB. Maxwell- I win. Myers- you.
Maxwell has a ridiculously small sample. Anyone can get hot over 150 PAs (like you say, even Wil Myers!) Let's see what their numbers are like for an entire season. Or how bout for the next six years since that's how long we would have had Myers.
Exactly! That's why falling all over Myers at 200 ABs and saying the trade is bad is ridiculous.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I agree that Myers has cooled off a bit... but he still has an .813 OPS as a 22 year-old rookie! These are the expectations you have for the minor league player of the year. You talk about him like he has already proven to be a disappointment. As for Mike Trout comparisons, you can cherry pick anyone to "prove" either side, but there is no denying that it is a great start to a career that few have been capable of. His numbers to date are better than Mickey Mantle as a rookie. See?

Justin Maxwell, a guy who has demonstrated in the past that he is probably playing above any realistic expectations, has an OPS of .809 in 3 more games. He has half the WAR of Myers. He is 29. We can hope against hope that he is Raul Ibanez, but Raul Ibanez is in one of the rarest classes of baseball player in history. He is really only in the class of Raul Ibanez. He will have 2k hits and 300 homers probably by the end of the year, and he is still going at 41. You can't expect that because that is insane for a guy whose career essentially started at 29 (after almost ending at 28).
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

There was never any talk of contraction with the Royals
I am not sure if you are talking about actual press releases by MLB or just pure speculation. If speculation then, yes, the Royals were talked about by many as a team that could be done away with along with the Expos. Just do a search of Royals and contraction.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

beautyfromashes wrote:
KCMax wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:Let's try something out...Maxwell vs. Myers for each team this year. Numbers per AB. Maxwell- I win. Myers- you.
Maxwell has a ridiculously small sample. Anyone can get hot over 150 PAs (like you say, even Wil Myers!) Let's see what their numbers are like for an entire season. Or how bout for the next six years since that's how long we would have had Myers.
Exactly! That's why falling all over Myers at 200 ABs and saying the trade is bad is ridiculous.
I'm not saying Myers is a HOFer already, but he's off to a great start, and combined with his minor league track record, the future looks extremely bright. I don't think anyone can definitively say already the trade is a clunker, but its getting hard to see how this ends up well for the Royals.
aknowledgeableperson wrote:
There was never any talk of contraction with the Royals
I am not sure if you are talking about actual press releases by MLB or just pure speculation. If speculation then, yes, the Royals were talked about by many as a team that could be done away with along with the Expos. Just do a search of Royals and contraction.
I can't find any credible source. The Twins and Expos were the two main candidates for contraction, and contraction talk was all but dead by the time Dayton Moore took over. Also, contraction had nothing to do with how good or bad the team was on the field - the Twins were very successful on the field, winning division titles and the Expos even made a run while in MLB limbo. Any connections made with KC and contraction were made either by the ill-informed or those trying to scare us into paying for stadium renovations.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Who are the six contraction candidates? - MLB - ESPN

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story%3Fcolumnist%3Dneye...

Jun 13, 2002 ... If there are six teams besides the Expos "up" for contraction, who are they? The Royals say they aren't one of them, but Rob suggests they have ...
Is one. And is before DM and had nothing to do with a stadium scare.

Yes, the Twins and Expos were the two leaders but again there was "speculation" that another tem could replace the Twins.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

200 ABs: He could be Ted Williams or Mark Quinn and out of baseball in two years, absolutely impossible to tell. I guess I'm just reacting to the impression that you "Royals fans" seem to want this trade to be a bust.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Re: KC vs. Pittsburgh, calling KC worse than Pittsburgh's AAA team is baseless and absurd. Pittsburgh had been absolutely ghastly for even longer than the Royals. The Royals had lost more games than them over the past 15 or so years, but not by a huge margin. The Royals have fielded a winning team more recently. One of these teams was probably worse than the other, but it's hard to tell which -- they were both awful. "Worse than Pittsburgh's AAA team"? Give me a break.
You're one of those people who read everything literally, huh? I'll have to remember that for our conversations.
No, but even as an exaggeration it's ridiculous. These teams were on basically the same level. Given that the Pirates played in the NL during an era of AL dominance (even the Royals fared well enough in interleague play in the mid-00s), the Royals were arguably even a better team than the Pirates.
200 ABs: He could be Ted Williams or Mark Quinn and out of baseball in two years, absolutely impossible to tell. I guess I'm just reacting to the impression that you "Royals fans" seem to want this trade to be a bust.
I don't think anybody wants the trade to be a bust, but it looked terrible when it was made and it still looks terrible now. Acknowledging that something is so doesn't necessarily mean that you want it to be so, but denying it doesn't change it. Myers would be second on this team in OPS, behind Billy Butler. He would be third in OBP, behind Butler and Kottaras. He would be fifth in home runs even though he's had fewer than half as many at bats as any of the guys ahead of him (or behind him, for that matter). Right field has been a huge hole for the past two seasons and when we had the opportunity to fill it we traded for two pitchers, one of whom has been so bad as to wipe out the contribution made by the other. Tampa has gotten 1.3 WAR out of Myers and Odorizzi together. The Royals have gotten 0.3 out of Shields and Davis combined -- 1.1 if you add in Elliot Johnson too, an afterthought PTBNL who already was DFAed and is no longer with the team.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Shields WAR is 2.9, Myers WAR is 1.9. Odirizzi has pitched 18 ML innings this year and while Davis has been terrible this year, he's better than a reliever who can't even stay with the major league club. The bias against this trade is humorous.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Did I seriously just read that if the Royals finish with a better record than a mediocre Yankees team it should be praised as an accomplishment???

I fully realize there are some fans on here with comically low expectations for this franchise, but holy crap.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

beautyfromashes wrote:Shields WAR is 2.9, Myers WAR is 1.9. Odirizzi has pitched 18 ML innings this year and while Davis has been terrible this year, he's better than a reliever who can't even stay with the major league club. The bias against this trade is humorous.
I actually included Odorizzi because he has negative WAR in his 18 innings, which makes the trade look slightly better for the Royals. All the WAR numbers I used were from Baseball Reference, which has Shields at 2.6, Myers at 1.2, Wade Davis at -2.3 (ouch), Elliot Johnson at 0.8, and Odorizzi at -0.2. I did neglect to double check Myers' WAR before my last post though and misremembered it as 1.5 rather than 1.2, so Myers and Odorizzi have combined for 1 WAR, not 1.3. Shields and Davis have still combined for 0.3. Can't play up the contribution we've gotten from Shields without acknowledging the contribution all our opponents have gotten from Davis.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

With all the jawin and pissin in the wind stats, the Royals win and pick up a game on Detroit and Cleveland. Oh, and by the way, Shields pitched a helluva game. Back to pissin in the wind.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

MidtownCat wrote:Did I seriously just read that if the Royals finish with a better record than a mediocre Yankees team it should be praised as an accomplishment???

I fully realize there are some fans on here with comically low expectations for this franchise, but holy crap.
Symbolic accomplishment. Just something positive instead of being all negative.

And 3 down 12 to go.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

macnw wrote:With all the jawin and pissin in the wind stats, the Royals win and pick up a game on Detroit and Cleveland. Oh, and by the way, Shields pitched a helluva game. Back to pissin in the wind.
Awesome. Maybe the Royals will finish 10 games out of a playoff spot instead of 12.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I don't want this trade to fail. I want DMGM to be aware that continuing with this logic will ruin our team. The odd risky trade happens, but if we trade all of our prospects for $10+ million 30 year olds, we will have a bloated payroll (for the Glass family) and no money to sign the next Gordon/Greinke/Butler/Perez/Soria... all guys we signed on the cheap. We also won't have the next Gordon/Greinke/Butler/Perez/Soria to begin with because we will have traded them away.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

MidtownCat wrote:Did I seriously just read that if the Royals finish with a better record than a mediocre Yankees team it should be praised as an accomplishment???

And 3 down 12 to go.
Finishing with a better record than the worst Yankees team in a decade is neither symbolic nor an accomplishment.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

MidtownCat wrote:

And 3 down 12 to go.
Finishing with a better record than the worst Yankees team in a decade is neither symbolic nor an accomplishment.
Strike that... two decades. The last time the Yanks were below a .530 win percentage was 1992, which is also the last time they were below .500.

The last time the Royals were above .530 (still aren't this year) was 1994, and the last full season was 1989.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Duffy in, Davis out for the rotation. Yost says he wants Duffy on the playoff roster.

Wait, what?

MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

KCMax wrote:Duffy in, Davis out for the rotation. Yost says he wants Duffy on the playoff roster.

Wait, what?

The right move, just two months and 10 starts too late. Just like inexplicably resigning Jeff Franceuor and then playing him for the first half of the season before finally coming to the conclusion that he was completely worthless and then releasing him. Why it takes these guys so long to identify the blatantly obvious is the real indictment here. Is it stubbornness? Incompetence?

As far as Wade Davis goes, dude went what 24 starts and had a 5.65 era? We're talking historically awful Kyle Davies stuff here. Everyone knew it was comically bad and Davis was a bullpen arm at best, but we decided to squander the basically five months of this season when it this has been painfully obvious to virtually everyone except for our GM and manager for the majority of this season.

Seriously, some some of the idiotic things have said lately just blow my mind. The being ahead of 8 to 10 year process bit and now demoting Davis for the "playoff stretch" is just absurd.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Wives of David DeJesus, Chris Getz to team up on The Amazing Race http://cbsprt.co/185mXUy

Watch this a try to guess at which point my head exploded.

Getz, good job buddy. DeJusus, really? Really?!
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.