Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

chingon wrote:
chrizow wrote:what about PR's Place? or is that considered Westside?
SSSSSSSHHHHH! Goddamnit.
meh. one of the few bars in recent memory where i've been called a fag. ain't got time fo dat. go there en masse, drink the piss beer, and ruin it.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Sounds like a good place for a gay flash mob.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote:
meh. one of the few bars in recent memory where i've been called a fag.
yikes. that is highly unfortunate.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Can't really think of a dive bar in the Xroads.

The original Grinders Pizza is sorta divey, but Stretch kinda mucked that up when he painted the walls and re-furbed the floor. Now you don't even get a chance for your foot to fall through the floor or to trip on one of the road signs he used as floor patches. The fringe/divey folks still hang out there, but most prefer the back patio. It's also gotten way too touristy. Ever time they re-run that damn DDD episode from '07, it just encourages more tourists, which the regulars hate, but a lot of my friends who work there love it. They pull in some mad tips. Back in the day, I can recall times where I'd sit at the bar for hours reading and drinking, nary another customer in sight.

The Brick is cool and they got some great food and love the Rural Grit show every Monday night, but yea, Sheri has kind of brightened up the place and put fancy pants art on the wall. I've been going there since '86 when it was the Pub, an old school bar that opened at 6 am and closed at 10:30 pm. No pool table, but you could cash your paycheck there and run a monthly tab, which nobody does anymore. Then Gary, the retired fireman bought it and it got even divier, but stayed open forever. At 1:30 am, he kicked everyone out but the regulars, covered up the windows and locked the door. sometimes I'd stay in there til 6,7,8 am. He finally ran out of gas and stopped paying his vendors and in 6 months it was closed. Sheri and Chris bought it a couple of years later and worked their asses off cleaning it up, which took 'em 4 or 5 months and re-opened it. The only bar around there at that time. Plus they stayed opened late. Sheri did a hell of a job and is a much better and savvier business owner, than most folks down there.

Who remembers Sola's on Gillham Rd. Now that was a dive bar's, dive bar. You could drink yourself into oblivion there and when you passed out and fell of your bar stool, no noticed or cared.

Stables was a good one also. You had to knock on the door to get in. You could sit in the dark getting drunk, while watching Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark on their big ass projection screen TV.

How 'bout Cotton Eye'd Joe's. Usually our last stop on an evening strip bar tour, that would start at AB's on Wornall, hit the Pink Garter, Michael's on 40 Hiway, The Shady Lady on 12th & Chestnut and finally Joe's in the River Market. Cotton Eye'd Joes' was definitely the diviest strip bar in town. Hell, if you acted up, you didn't have to worry about the bartender or bouncer kicking your ass, any of the strippers could do it easily.

The good 'ol days!

If you're hankering for a good all-day dive bar not far from the Xroads, I'd suggest Davey's on Main. It's pretty divey and they got PBR and Old Style, a pinball machine and a pool table in the back room.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

chrizow wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
meh. one of the few bars in recent memory where i've been called a fag.
yikes. that is highly unfortunate.
I guess it's kinda of like a white guy saying the "N" word. You gotta be one to say it.

Many of my of my alternative lifestyle friends say the "F" word to each other all the time.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Forgot to mention the Askew Inn on the Avenue.

Owned by Andy & Bill Martallero, 2 Irish-Italian brothers. It has a divey vibe to it, but it's more of an old-school neighborhood bar. It's another bar that locks it door at all times. You gotta knock. If they know you or you look safe, they let you in. If not, you ain't getting in. They also walk folks to their cars at night.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

DaveKCMO wrote:
chingon wrote:
SSSSSSSHHHHH! Goddamnit.
meh. one of the few bars in recent memory where i've been called a fag. ain't got time fo dat. go there en masse, drink the piss beer, and ruin it.
The only time I've ever been there was that time. It wasn't the bar's fault, but I have no intention of knowingly surrounding myself with regulars that feel that way.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Pre-demolition permit issued for a building in the Crossroads - 1804 Wyandotte

Permit

Streetview

KCDowntown

Map of all the current development in downtown
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Well, losing that little gray squat building is no tragedy. I wonder what's going there instead.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Wonder what's going there, is the key.

If something will replace it, likely fine.

However, if it's simply another 8 parking spots, the loss of that squat little gray building is significant.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the new bank at 1801 main has proposed a drive-thru. don't expect that to make it through city planning since it would front the streetcar route.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

DaveKCMO wrote:the new bank at 1801 main has proposed a drive-thru. don't expect that to make it through city planning since it would front the streetcar route.
So that corner building, that used to be a rehab, is becoming a bank? Nice!
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

DaveKCMO wrote:
chingon wrote:
SSSSSSSHHHHH! Goddamnit.
Hence the need for communities to have their own comfortable places to congregate. CC: @beautyfromashes ...sorry you got slurred!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:the new bank at 1801 main has proposed a drive-thru. don't expect that to make it through city planning since it would front the streetcar route.
if it was a rehab, it hat must have been before 1995 when my friend worked at mobilefone.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

ETA -- sorry, two properties. The demolition permit for 1804 Wyandotte calls it a "community center"
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

heatherkay wrote:ETA -- sorry, two properties. The demolition permit for 1804 Wyandotte calls it a "community center"

Not sure I'm following. Are you saying two properties to be demolished?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Looks like the demolition is for parking. The property owner got a variance approved for 21 parking spaces on that parcel from the City in 2011. The 1804 Wyandotte property is attached to the 1800 Wyandotte building. There are 10 or 11 parking spaces on the surface lot to the south, so they look like they are adding more.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:Looks like the demolition is for parking. The property owner got a variance approved for 21 parking spaces on that parcel from the City in 2011. The 1804 Wyandotte property is attached to the 1800 Wyandotte building. There are 10 or 11 parking spaces on the surface lot to the south, so they look like they are adding more.
see why parking minimums are bad? the streetcar rezoning last year ends at the centerline of wyandotte, so that side of the street still has minimums.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

loftguy wrote:
heatherkay wrote:ETA -- sorry, two properties. The demolition permit for 1804 Wyandotte calls it a "community center"

Not sure I'm following. Are you saying two properties to be demolished?
No, that we're talking about two different properties (1804 WY and 1801 Main)
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

DaveKCMO wrote:
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
if it was a rehab, it hat must have been before 1995 when my friend worked at mobilefone.
1800 Wyandotte, second floor, I think was a rehab, outpatient clinic.