Kansas City NHL Articles

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Kansas City NHL Articles

Post by jlbomega »

That is what NHL-21 claims.  I think there are some cities in this country that are just great sports towns.  Kansas City is one of them.  I don't really have any stats to back it up, but the lower cost of living in Kansas City gives the average citizen more money to dispose on entertainment (sports). 
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 92214.html

Sides still talking in Pens' arena negotiations

By Andrew Conte
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 8, 2007

Everything is negotiable and nothing has been agreed upon in the closed-door arena talks among the Penguins and public officials, Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato said Wednesday.

The two sides talked on a conference call Monday, but Onorato said they still have not reached an agreement on how to pay for a new Uptown arena.

"We're still negotiating, and I still feel optimistic we'll get it done," Onorato said at a luncheon hosted by the Press Club of Western Pennsylvania.

A Penguins spokesman declined to comment.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Wouldn't the City be more bold now?  Pens already stuck their middle finger at KC by not giving them a decision.  So why would the City not see that as clear admission they want to stay?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

I think Pittsburgh has all the leverage right now. It's all in their advantage. They can call the Penguins bluff.

That's why it will get done.

That and the fact that they never intended on moving in the first place.
Topeka Blade
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Topeka Blade »

Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Not funny.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

For a site that compares itself to The Onion, they need to be more careful about how much they get their story ideas directly from The Onion...

PNC Park Threatens To Leave Pittsburgh Unless Better Team Is Built
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50814
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Ez Street wrote: That's why I think they are staying.

Time is running out.

But remember.....

June 1995, Nordiques to Denver.

Question is, did they already have a ticket drive before the team moved there?
The Nordiques had actually tried everything they could to stay in quebec. They even had a new logo, and image lined up. after the loss to the rangers in the playoffs, the team once again went to the local goverment for financial aid. The deal fell through, and the owner had no choice but to sell the team to a group of Denver investors who announced in the middle of May that that team would relocate to Denver, colorado.

This deal for the Penguins may drag on for some time. :?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The whole scheduling push from the NHL is crap too. It has no affect on the away dates and for the home dates they will just come to KC instead of Pittsburgh.

The only conflict I could see is with the Big 12 Tourney, and if there is, then the Pens could always just play at Kemper.
HockeyPunkKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by HockeyPunkKC »

the only potential problem i see with scheduling would be if they came to KC and they wanted to change divisions. 

at one point i heard from somewhere, (not sure where or how accurate) that if we got the pens, they would move to the blues division and either detroit or someone else would move over.

if this is the case, i could see how the schedule could get changed quite a bit.... unless they would just give KC detroits (or whoever moved over) schedule and that team would take the current pens schedule.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

If it drags out a long time and then the Pens move here (something I hope for but don't expect), I could see the KC team competing for one more season in the Atlantic Division then the realignment happening for the 08-09 season.

Of course, a KC team in an Atlantic division isn't any weirder than the Atlanta Braves and Falcons in the West or the Phoenix Cardinals in the East.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

My new avatar is the what was going to be the new logo for the quebec nordiques if they were to stay in quebec.
Topeka Blade
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Topeka Blade »

And in the realm of alternative possibilities . . .

http://www.nysun.com/article/48367?page_no=1
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Yay for schadenfreude!

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kcchief
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcchief »

Topeka Blade wrote: I kind of like this idea . . .

http://carbolicsmokeblog.blogspot.com/2 ... ve-to.html
funny that they think KC is a "one horse town" considering they have negative population growth and one of the poorest population bases in the country.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Pittsburgh obviously got the last laugh.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Maybe I had overlooked this awhile back, but I didn't realize that sprint has pledged 2.5 million a year for the next 25 years for the naming rights to the dt arena.(knew that)

BUT, that figure, however, depends on the arena landing an nba, or nhl franchise. If that dosen't happen, sprint expects to only pay about 1/3  less for the naming rights to the arena!(didn't know that)

So, if the deal to lure the pens to kc fails, and aeg is in jeopordy of losing money from sprint. What do they do? Are they willing to allow the clippers to up root from the staples center? If the clippers even wanted to. What is the timeline to have a team in place?
KcSportsFanatic
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KcSportsFanatic »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

It's hard to find sports news, when the only season upcoming for the city, is one that will include 50+ losses. Go Royals!

????? If the Royals only lost 50 games, they'd be one of the best teams in MLB history.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

mykem wrote: Maybe I had overlooked this awhile back, but I didn't realize that sprint has pledged 2.5 million a year for the next 25 years for the naming rights to the dt arena.(knew that)

BUT, that figure, however, depends on the arena landing an nba, or nhl franchise. If that dosen't happen, sprint expects to only pay about 1/3  less for the naming rights to the arena!(didn't know that)

So, if the deal to lure the pens to kc fails, and aeg is in jeopordy of losing money from sprint. What do they do?
:-$ Careful. Asking questions such as that on this board will get you labeled as being negative or, worse, from Kansas.