OFFICIAL: The College Basketball Experience (NABC Hall of Fame) building design

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL: NABC Hall of Fame building design

Post by kard »

KansasCityCraka wrote: So with ESPN working with the design firms does anyone think we might be getting an ESPN Zone?
Well, if this is going to be a mini-ESPN Zone of sorts, why would there be a real Zone as well?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Upon first glancing at the picture in the Star yesterday I thought it was that big electronics trade show they have every year in Las Vegas.

:-s
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCPowercat wrote: Dickie V is excited -

http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/060712NABC.html
How thorougly touching. But, might I ask, why is it that such veritable edificial bastions of sentiment and rhapsodization reside in such architecturally brainless, streetscape-hostile, half-assed design abortions?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Words.................
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

Tosspot wrote: How thorougly touching. But, might I ask, why is it that such veritable edificial bastions of sentiment and rhapsodization reside in such architecturally brainless, streetscape-hostile, half-assed design abortions?

did that make you feel smart?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

mister816 wrote: did that make you feel smart?
Oh stuff it. If you opened your eyes and saw what a piece of shit this thing is you'd agree. Development alone does not always equate with progress in the built environment and public realm.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

^ yeah, it looks like the mechanical room and the a/c units for the arena.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Tosspot wrote: How thorougly touching. But, might I ask, why is it that such veritable edificial bastions of sentiment and rhapsodization reside in such architecturally brainless, streetscape-hostile, half-assed design abortions?

Oh god, I will be back on in 20 minutes to tell you what I think since I have no clue what you just said.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm scared about this project, this is the first time I will post on it, but I just have this bad feeling, this is going to flop and I'll tell you why.

I was the same way with Science City, I knew from the day that the city chose the KC Museum to design and run the station that it was in trouble, but the day I found out that science city would not only have to be self sufficient (most museums need to be subsidized), it would also have to pull in enough money to pay a good chunk of the bills of the massive union station itself.  Insane.

The thing needs to be rebuilt and there needs to be permanent funding in place to keep it afloat and get the ticket prices down to little to free. (a bistate "arts" tax???)  Till that happens, SC will continue to fail.

Anyway, all I have heard from the city on the NABC is that there will be an amazing "interactive" half court "at the buzzer" shot.  So half the museum will be this?  I'm telling you right now, I think it's cheesy and will waste way too much space in this relatively small facility.  Plus the exterior design is horrible.  I hope it's just a place holder.

I have my hopes up and I hope it's a smashing success, but I have not seen any "wow" factor in this project yet.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: I'm scared about this project, this is the first time I will post on it, but I just have this bad feeling, this is going to flop and I'll tell you why.

Anyway, all I have heard from the city on the NABC is that there will be an amazing "interactive" half court "at the buzzer" shot.  So half the museum will be this?  I'm telling you right now, I think it's cheesy and will waste way too much space in this relatively small facility.  Plus the exterior design is horrible.  I hope it's just a place holder.

I have my hopes up and I hope it's a smashing success, but I have not seen any "wow" factor in this project yet.
My sentiments exactly.  Anytime I hear the words "interactive" associated with a museum, alarm bells start going off in my head.  I had the same problem with Science City (although I started getting itchy as soon as they gave the place the undignified name: "Science City").  Interactive museums can be OK but they better be large and well funded and offer a lot to see while you are waiting for the interactive exhibits to free up.  My experience has been that there are precious few interactive exhibits, several of which, at any one given time, are broken putting even more pressure on the working exhibits.  People then just tend to skip the interactive exhibits rather than wait seemingly forever for them to free up and wind up having a less than stellar experience.  This was a major problem in the early days at Science City.   

Secondly, Science City did/does not have much to do with actual science and I hope that limitations in key subject matter will not be a problem at the College Basketball Hall of Fame.  Unfortunately, most people do enjoy science but there are relative few real connoisseurs of college basketball so the interest level is going to be limited to begin with.  Science City also suffers from being a mediocre attraction with a fairly hefty entry price....not many people willing to make repeated returns for something like that.    Anyway, I hope the place is an unqualified success.  I am sure it will get some traffic especially during NCAA regionals and the big XII tourneys that we can draw to KC.

And yes, the exterior is absolutely abysmal, particularly the north wall.
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

Highlander wrote: My sentiments exactly.  Anytime I hear the words "interactive" associated with a museum, alarm bells start going off in my head. 
I may be wrong, but I've never heard anything about this being any kind of museum.  I haven't even heard the words hall of fame, except from this board.  I've only officially heard it called something to the effect of the "college basketball experience".  I think the hall of fame is to be an aspect of it, but not entirely what the project was.  I think is more of an interactive exhibit, rather than a basketball "musem".  I'll save my judgement until there is a definite plan for the content.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Tosspot wrote: Oh stuff it. If you opened your eyes and saw what a piece of shit this thing is you'd agree. Development alone does not always equate with progress in the built environment and public realm.
Sounds like someone's got a case of the "mondays"
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

GRID wrote: I'm scared about this project, this is the first time I will post on it, but I just have this bad feeling, this is going to flop and I'll tell you why.

I was the same way with Science City, I knew from the day that the city chose the KC Museum to design and run the station that it was in trouble, but the day I found out that science city would not only have to be self sufficient (most museums need to be subsidized), it would also have to pull in enough money to pay a good chunk of the bills of the massive union station itself.  Insane.

The thing needs to be rebuilt and there needs to be permanent funding in place to keep it afloat and get the ticket prices down to little to free. (a bistate "arts" tax???)  Till that happens, SC will continue to fail.

Anyway, all I have heard from the city on the NABC is that there will be an amazing "interactive" half court "at the buzzer" shot.  So half the museum will be this?  I'm telling you right now, I think it's cheesy and will waste way too much space in this relatively small facility.  Plus the exterior design is horrible.  I hope it's just a place holder.

What does Science City have to do with the Hall of Fame?  Are the same people designing the displays or something?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

no...Grid is just displaying his "KC resident everything will fail" attitude.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

For those of you that are still not sure on what exactly this building will be home to, here's some additional information from the NABC web site:

http://nabc.cstv.com/nabc_programs/nabc ... ience.html

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

[i[ A Center Court will have the capability to host press conferences and basketball clinics with bleacher seats for about 300 fans.

• The College Basketball Experience will include a multi-purpose exhibit space where the NABC can host temporary exhibitions.

• The facility will be designed to accommodate a variety of large or small corporate events, with catering and A/V support.
[/i]

This sounds a lot larger than I had thought it was. I have to admit, the "interactive" stuff sounds kind of cool, especially for kids. This really doesn't sound like a museum at all, like I was expecting. It sounds more like if the NCAA built a Chuck-E-Cheese.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

Check this blurb from their web site
The Fan Experience will be the central focus of the College Basketball Experience. It will be a glass-enclosed space, visible from points inside the arena and from the street. Arena visitors will be able to get a glimpse of the Fan Experience activities as a way to entice them into the facility
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

that does sound very cool. It makes me wonder how accurate the renderings are. they seem to show something that does not have any access from the street. I'd like to see a street level rendering to see how it will interact with the street level.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Having this thing next to an arena whose major tenant is a hockey team doesn't make sense. The NBA and this facility just seems like such a natural fit to me.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag