Power & Light residential tower (next to P&L Building, not Cordish related)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Power & Light residetial tower (new 18 floor tower)

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I'm not quite sure if KC doesn't have enough power to go around right now. I mean where are all of these richies coming from?
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

KansasCityCraka wrote: I'm not quite sure if KC doesn't have enough power to go around right now. I mean where are all of these richies coming from?
Beats me.  I see houses in the northland ranging from 300k to over a million being snapped up like twinkies at a fat girl convention and I keep asking myself that same question.  I keep expecting the money to run out but it hasn't yet.  Must be nice.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Thrillcekr wrote: Beats me. I see houses in the northland ranging from 300k to over a million being snapped up like twinkies at a fat girl convention and I keep asking myself that same question. I keep expecting the money to run out but it hasn't yet. Must be nice.
The Nationals golf course and subdivision makes my mouth drop every time I drive through there or take a tour of a godzilla house. Just straight makes me wonder where this money is coming from. Although, I know there's a major flock to the midwest from the coasts where a horrible house costs over 1 million.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: The Nationals golf course and subdivision makes my mouth drop every time I drive through there or take a tour of a godzilla house. Just straight makes me wonder where this money is coming from. Although, I know there's a major flock to the midwest from the coasts where a horrible house costs over 1 million.
They had a house in The Nationals that won that Pick Of The Parade award on the Spring Homes Tour last year I think it was.  For a measly 4.5 million you can own it.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Yea, I agree.. it amazes me everyday to see all these homes and condos/lofts going for $300+... makes me wonder where all these people are coming from..
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

skim82 wrote: Yea, I agree.. it amazes me everyday to see all these homes and condos/lofts going for $300+... makes me wonder where all these people are coming from..
I think the strength of metropolitan Kansas City's buying power centers around the fact that as a whole it is a very middle class-laden city that has fewer extremes on top and bottom.  There are plenty of what I consider mid-level choices ($200k-$400k) and fewer of the true upper eschelon condos such as www.mansiononpeachtree.com, the St. Regis Residences, and www.3344peachtree.com here in Atlanta that will all be entering the market at roughly the same time.  The Kansas City market is more than likely tapped out in the upper crust market but there is probably much more room for the mid-level condos, in my opinion.  Much of the urban core condo market will definitely need many more jobs in the RCP corridor than the 150k to support much more though.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The fact that the title company is still kicking alive and well on the corner with no signs of prepairing to move makes me think that their 2006 completion date might have slipped a bit.  Anyone know if this project is still greenlighted?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Their website is still up, that's enough for me...

If they absolutely refuse to move, then call out eminent domain... Title Company in a semi-blighted location vs. 18 floor tower with ability to hold 60-100 residents...

Why is this thread under the Power and Light District anyway? it isn't located in the district and isn't a part of Cordish's plan for the district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hopefully they have answers on the urban tour weekend.....they are stop #23.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

I don't know if this has already been mentioned.  On my way to the airport the other week I saw a huge billboard heading norht on I-29 advertising the PandL condos.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

KCDevin wrote: Their website is still up, that's enough for me...

If they absolutely refuse to move, then call out eminent domain... Title Company in a semi-blighted location vs. 18 floor tower with ability to hold 60-100 residents...

Why is this thread under the Power and Light District anyway? it isn't located in the district and isn't a part of Cordish's plan for the district.

Nothing "blighted" about their building, it's just ugly.  They deserve to be paid whatever they're asking.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It would be nice if the title company became a tenant on the ground floor of the condo tower.  The building they are in now is not a great building and doesn't fit in downtown, but they are a viable business that I hope can remain downtown.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: It would be nice if the title company became a tenant on the ground floor of the condo tower.  It's not a great building, but they are a viable downtown business that I hope can remain downtown.
Yeah I wasn't complaining about the title company's downtown existence.  I was just thinking that the fact that they still appear to be operating business as usual doesn't jive with a spring groundbreaking/end of year completion. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I can't remember, but does anybody know if a deal has been worked out with this title company, will the city have to use eminent domain?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

GRID wrote: It would be nice if the title company became a tenant on the ground floor of the condo tower.  The building they are in now is not a great building and doesn't fit in downtown, but they are a viable business that I hope can remain downtown.
I hope so.  Have any of the dislocated businesses in the P&L district stayed in KCMO?  It's great to have new development, but I hate to see businesses run off.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah I wasn't complaining about the title company's downtown existence.  I was just thinking that the fact that they still appear to be operating business as usual doesn't jive with a spring groundbreaking/end of year completion. 
Yea, it looks like it might be delayed a bit, but with all the money they have and continue to pour into marketing, getting tiffs etc, I think it's a go.  It will not take long to move out of that building and tear it down.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I noticed a billboard for the PandL condos as you exit onto 670 E from I-35 N the other day that I hadn't noticed last week.  That's always a good sign.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

cityscape wrote: I noticed a billboard for the PandL condos as you exit onto 670 E from I-35 N the other day that I hadn't noticed last week.  That's always a good sign.
Those billboards are for the new condo building attached to the Power & Light Building, which have no relation to the condo tower that Cordish is building for the Power and Light District.  It's confusing because the namesake building isn't technically part of the district named after it...

P&L Building Condos: http://pandlcondos.com

P&L District residential: http://powerandlightliving.com/
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: Those billboards are for the new condo building attached to the Power & Light Building,
Yeah which is what everyone is talking about here.  I don't think anyone was confused.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

None of the condo CONVERSIONS have met their first announced completion schedules.  I would not expect totally new construction to exceed that record.