I-70

Transportation topics in KC
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I-70

Post by kard »

if we can hardly afford to add a third lane, how could we afford adding two truck-only lanes?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

kard wrote: if we can hardly afford to add a third lane, how could we afford adding two truck-only lanes?
Tolls.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

GRID wrote: I have to pass cars on the right.  Enforce that and we can save a billion dollars by not having to build one of those lanes.
Ditto!!!  I've been making the KC-COU trip weekly for 15 years and it's the friggin cars that are the main problem.  I support being allowed to pass on the shoulder when clear (and at triple-digit speeds)  8)
Languagehat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Languagehat »

AllThingsKC wrote: So, why is MoDot so interested in truck lanes if most states DON'T have them?
MoDOT is more interested in the prospect of toll revenues to build something on I-70 than the truck-lanes per se...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Just bring 50 up to interstate standards all the way across the state and you will relieve a lot of congestion. Oh, and restrict all cross state truck traffic on 50.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Languagehat wrote: MoDOT is more interested in the prospect of toll revenues to build something on I-70 than the truck-lanes per se...
Tolls would never work on I-70. Way too many alternative routes.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Languagehat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Languagehat »

NDTeve wrote: Tolls would never work on I-70. Way too many alternative routes.
There are no alternative "truck only" routes.  That's why MoDOT is looking at tolling the truck only lanes. 

Truckers hate truck tolls, so one critical question in this study will be whether they will see enough benefit from these special lanes to get them to reduce their opposition to the finance mechanism to build the project.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

shinatoo wrote: Just bring 50 up to interstate standards all the way across the state and you will relieve a lot of congestion. Oh, and restrict all cross state truck traffic on 50.
MoDOT has studied this already.  Their study predicted only minimal congestion relief on I-70 if US 50 was upgraded. 
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

I-70 truck traffic relief was part of the plan when they went to widen US-36 between St Joe and Hannibal.  I drive that route frequently when going to Macon to visit my dad (retired MoDot engineer), and I see almost no truck traffic there.  In fact, there is almost no traffic at all.  Makes my trip easier, but MoDot spent a helluva lot of money improving that road.

The idea seemed to make sense - provide alternatives for a ChicagoKC truck route.  When the work was proposed, St Louis interests were up in arms because they thought it would divert too much traffic from their metro.  Maybe they still have work to do between Macon and Hannibal, but so far the traffic hasn't materialized.

Back to I-70, the worst part of dealing with the trucks (and some idiot car drivers) are the hilly areas where the speed of a fully loaded semi can vary 20 mph or so going up and down hills.  You pass him on the way up, he gets you on the way down.  My brother calls it "truck jousting."  I've been known to move to the left lane on the downhill side to let the ABF truck pass me (yet again) without having to negotiate a lane change.

I've often wondered if a state trooper would forgive you going 90 for a while because you were trying to put some space between yourself and the semi you have been do-si-do-ing with for the last 25 miles.
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

They've been working on making US 36 four lanes from Macon to Hannibal/Quincy, constructed bypasses around the towns of Clarence, Shelbina and Monroe City.  Took it to I-72 to Springfield, then on the Chicago about a couple months ago.

This route saves about 50 or so miles as opposed to taking 70/55 thru STL. Smooth ride, virtually no traffic or cops.  It's at highway grade, making it easier to extend I-72 west to Cameron or St. Joe.
"Let's get it!"
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Plus there is also US 36 between St. Joe and Hannibal Missouri that I think is 4 lane across the state.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

anniewarbucks wrote: Plus there is also US 36 between St. Joe and Hannibal Missouri that I think is 4 lane across the state.

BBBUUUUUAAAAWWAWAWAWAABUUUBBBOAUUUUUUUUUU :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Future of I-70 to Be Discussed at Public Meetings in September

LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. - MoDOT is asking for public input on the future of I-70 from the Kansas state line to the I-470 interchange during meetings this September at sites near the I-70 corridor.

These meetings are part of the First Tier Environmental Impact Study (FTEIS) of this heavily used 18-mile corridor that includes the Downtown Loop and the busy I-435 and I-470 interchanges. MoDOT wants to hear how nearby residents, businesses and travelers perceive the interstate corridor's future, what they expect the highway system to deliver and what other options should be considered to satisfy transportation needs and provide options to all the traveling public.

The I-70 study will outline a broad strategy to address issues in this corridor. When the study concludes in 2010, MoDOT will have a general understanding of the public's needs and expectations, how improvements might affect nearby properties and what strategies to pursue in more detail to deliver better transportation services.

This study will not determine specific improvements or how they may affect this corridor. It will not pick a design, but it will lay the groundwork to help planners approach the challenges. The environmental impact study is part of a federally-mandated series of planning steps that ensures many factors are considered before design and location decisions are made.

Public meetings to discuss this study will be:

- 4-7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 9, St. Paul's School of Theology, 5123 Truman Rd., KCMO
- 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 11, Truman High School, Independence

Informational coffees to discuss this study will be:

- 9-11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 13, Central High School, 3221 Indiana Ave., KCMO
- 9-11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 27, Don Bosco Center, 580 Campbell Street, KCMO

For more information about other projects in the area, please visit MoDOT's I-70 study Web site at www.modot.org/kansascity/metroi70
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

public meetings are stupid.

Just fix the damn thing.

Says somebody that works in the field ;).

I have attended, actually, I have created maps and concepts for many of these and I have attended many to take questions from the public.

If you are lucky, you will get one good question out of a 100 and it's usually a developer or major land owner.

Everybody else asks the dumbest questions ever at these things.  It's usually old people wanting to chit chat about how things used to be :).

Seriously, enough studies on I-70 for the love of god, just rebuild it already.

I would go there with a photo of I-25 in Denver with LRT down the side, but I know, I would be laughed out of the meeting...
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

GRID wrote: public meetings are stupid.

Just fix the damn thing.

Says somebody that works in the field ;).

I have attended, actually, I have created maps and concepts for many of these and I have attended many to take questions from the public.

If you are lucky, you will get one good question out of a 100 and it's usually a developer or major land owner.

Everybody else asks the dumbest questions ever at these things.  It's usually old people wanting to chit chat about how things used to be :).

Seriously, enough studies on I-70 for the love of god, just rebuild it already.

I would go there with a photo of I-25 in Denver with LRT down the side, but I know, I would be laughed out of the meeting...
On the other hand, there's a section of I-70 in Denver near downtown, a viaduct with 3 lanes in each direction, that's crumbling and on the state list of worst condition bridges.  I read the other day that they're putting a "band aid" on it over the next two years since funding isn't available to rebuild and widen it.  It's a total piece of crap, bumpy, ready to fall down, and traffic crawls through that section in both directions all day.  Not all Denver freeways are like I-25.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DanCa wrote: On the other hand, there's a section of I-70 in Denver near downtown, a viaduct with 3 lanes in each direction, that's crumbling and on the state list of worst condition bridges.  I read the other day that they're putting a "band aid" on it over the next two years since funding isn't available to rebuild and widen it.  It's a total piece of crap, bumpy, ready to fall down, and traffic crawls through that section in both directions all day.  Not all Denver freeways are like I-25.
Well, considering the entire city and metro is practically built along 25 and Denver and CO have spent more money on 25 in the past five years than KC has in the entire metro area....

I wouldn't complain too much.

I-70 on the MO side is the primary freeway on the MO side.  It shouldn't be in the condition it's in.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

MoDOT is continuing the long, slow process of planning for rebuilding I-70 in Jackson County.  The project has finally entered the environmental impact study phase.  Four different scenarios are being proposed for further study between the state line and I-470/M-291.

1. Rebuild existing highway with minor improvements for safety and flow
2. Expand from six to eight lanes
3. Allow shoulder-running BRT along the entire length.
4. Add HOV lanes west of Blue Ridge and expand to eight lanes east

Project web site: http://www.modot.org/kansascity/metroi70
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Public Open House
Tuesday, January 6th, 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
St. Paul School of Theology, Holter Center
5201 Truman Road, KCMO 64127
(Between Hardesty and Van Brunt, map/directions)
Metro bus #12 - 12th Street Route
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Time to remove the north section of the loop!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i can't find which option talks about the tunnel.