Grinders

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Grinders

Post by bahua »

Moniker wrote: Nothing must make you happier than having to wipe your ass with pissy toilet paper. ;-)
I usually use the ladies room too. And lock the door. Eff them. I've almost had a ruptured bladder a number of times because two women locked the men's room and gabbed about stupid bullshit while they had it to themselves. I once completely stunk up a busy ladies room at Trader Todd's in Chicago with a 15-minute number-two. There was a big line of angry women outside when I came out, that reeled backwards as the wall of stench hit them.

That said, I try to get it all out before going out, so as to avoid such circumstances.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Moniker wrote: Nothing must make you happier than having to wipe your ass with pissy toilet paper. ;-)
I'll crap on just about anything, I don't care.   :)

(But unless I'm hitting more than 15-20 bars in a single day, generally I can control the urge to poop until I am home.)
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

bahua wrote:I once completely stunk up a busy ladies room at Trader Todd's in Chicago with a 15-minute number-two. There was a big line of angry women outside when I came out, that reeled backwards as the wall of stench hit them.
In this instance you stunk it up on purpose it sounds like, but if trying to keep the smell to a minimum.....flush the toilet as the shit is coming out so it hits the water running. That way it doesn't sit and stink up the joint. It's a very simple method, but not used as often as it should be. Also, when using a public restroom, don't hesitate to triple and quadruple flush. You're not paying for the water.....and your stall neighbors will thank you.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

All good pointers for when revenge isn't on the brain.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

you guys are nasty s.o.b's

but that's cool, cause i am too  :P
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Hmm, glad to see the forum has new FLAVOUR.. sorry I didnt respond to the critique on Lacys performance..Im driving around the country in my gas driven Hummer delivering sculpture.. Anyway, Thanks, she is good and cares..Anton has been back keeping an eye out, I also have been known to use the ladies room,especially in the touring years..Thanks again for the support..were looking into the wines...
P&L Free since 2008
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

Dropped in on Grinders first time last night. Been by the place a bunch of times and have just now read all the posts preceding this one.

Food was diner good.
Service was a little slow-cook was gone for a few minutes, or, night shift change was in progress (actually seemed that way)
Bathroom wasn't filthy, just an old bathroom in an old building.
I sat at the bar, watched everything. Cooked scrubbed his hands, put on plastic and prepared the food.
Waitress was nice-called me "hun", for no good reason but it was nice.
Atmosphere fits the Crossroads. To everything there is a season... as the Byrds sang. There's a place for fancy, up-scale, neighborhood variety, theme, chain, etc.; pick and choose personally and accordingly to your preference d'jour.
Price was right.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I've noticed a sharp increase in their beer prices lately, but I'll still happily go. It's easily KC's best beer bar, in my opinion.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I was there Saturday night... service was a little slow but forgivable for as busy as they were.  The food was terrific, even better than the last time I ate there.
bahua wrote: I've noticed a sharp increase in their beer prices lately,...
I can't remember the last time I've been sober enough at tab-time to notice what I pay for beer.  :)
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bahua wrote: I've noticed a sharp increase in their beer prices lately, but I'll still happily go. It's easily KC's best beer bar, in my opinion.
aye.  luckily, the prices have increased to what i would consider roughly on par for the beers they are serving.  before they were dare i say undercharging?  at least they weren't overpriced to begin with THEN they raised the prices!  (e.g. what if The Cashew increased beer prices?  :shock: )
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

3.75 for a Boulevard is verging on bad. If they break $4, Grinders will officially have a big head. Not as big as the Cashew, of course, but big all the same.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cashew is $5.50 for Blvd...for comparison.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I'm aware of what a ridiculous ripoff the cashew is.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

From the Pitch's "Hey You!" section:

http://www.pitch.com/2007-04-19/news/ov ... -bartender

Over Here, Bartender
Why, Grinders, must you make us wait?
Published: April 19, 2007

Hey, you, server, bartender, owner of Grinders. Can I get a drink? Oh, Grinders, I do want to love you so. With your great pies, wings, Philly cheesesteaks and the best beer selection in town, why can't you get some great service, too? As a member of the service industry, maybe I'm a little jaded about the level of service I expect. I was in there on a recent Monday night. We know better than to sit at a table, where you're sure to never get service. You guys seemed to be moderately busy, and yet I sat at the bar with my friend for at least 10 minutes. Both the bartender and owner made eye contact with me, but no one even acknowledged my existence. Alas, my friend and I finally left. Sad to say, but it will be awhile before I darken your door again.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I had excellent service there Saturday night.  In fact, it was too good, as I had a killer hangover the next day.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

kucer wrote: From the Pitch's "Hey You!" section:

http://www.pitch.com/2007-04-19/news/ov ... -bartender

Over Here, Bartender
Why, Grinders, must you make us wait?
Published: April 19, 2007

Hey, you, server, bartender, owner of Grinders. Can I get a drink? Oh, Grinders, I do want to love you so. With your great pies, wings, Philly cheesesteaks and the best beer selection in town, why can't you get some great service, too? As a member of the service industry, maybe I'm a little jaded about the level of service I expect. I was in there on a recent Monday night. We know better than to sit at a table, where you're sure to never get service. You guys seemed to be moderately busy, and yet I sat at the bar with my friend for at least 10 minutes. Both the bartender and owner made eye contact with me, but no one even acknowledged my existence. Alas, my friend and I finally left. Sad to say, but it will be awhile before I darken your door again.
That "Hey You" section is a pillory for share slights, whines and complaints about social interaction in KC.  I think somebody anonymously thanked another driver for courteous lane-changing, or some shit, but mostly its for callin' out pettiness... or petty callin' out. 

This week's Pitch is slim pickin's, even Nadia Pflaum published a puff piece about Lawrence nightlife. 

As for Grinder's service- staff's usually display the same attitude that the ownership conducts. 

However, I'd hate to be working there the night a bitchy Pitch blurb is published! 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: That "Hey You" section is a pillory for share slights, whines and complaints about social interaction in KC.  I think somebody anonymously thanked another driver for courteous lane-changing, or some shit, but mostly its for callin' out pettiness... or petty callin' out. 

This week's Pitch is slim pickin's, even Nadia Pflaum published a puff piece about Lawrence nightlife. 

As for Grinder's service- staff's usually display the same attitude that the ownership conducts. 

However, I'd hate to be working there the night a bitchy Pitch blurb is published! 
1. The "puff piece" piece was about Edwin Morales who is actually more prominent in terms of DJing than any active DJ in KC region. He happens to dwell in Lawrence and seems to be moving to Chicago to DJ at a real club instead of Lucky Brewgrill.

2. The complaints made about Grinders have come from many different sources and have even been addressed by the owner on this board. Not everyone is cut out to own/operate service-oriented businesses.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

1.  Alright, Pflaum's is an arts piece.  Legit, but in terms of her past work this is light stuff.

Though no DJ P, Morales is good and therefore he's good as gone, onto Chicago.  Possibly Kansas City still lacks the artistic/musical resources to retain its promising musicians, but this question isn't asked outright in the article. It should be discussed, though.  Perhaps by...

2.  ...Stretch, Grinder's owner and artist whose invested in arts/music resources.  Whom you suggest has some learnin' ahead as a restaurateur. 

3.  It's just that when Pitch is heavy on reporting KC's social-scene (Grinder's service, DJ's heading to greener pastures) I wonder if the print edition is becoming a blog. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah this stuff reminds me of something out of a Hearne Christopher column.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: yeah this stuff reminds me of something out of a Hearne Christopher column.
:?