10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: 10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:27 am Good to see such a substantial project proposed for the site, but I give this about a 5% chance of happening.
I'll take that bet
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:29 pm I'm skeptical of completion of this as long as Community Builders of Kansas City are involved. Otherwise a good project.
Same. Looks like vaporware to me. Would love to be proven wrong and end up with something like these renderings though!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:02 am https://cityscenekc.com/kcata-pursuing- ... -and-main/
Parson said more study needs to be done to determine whether the proposed mixed-use tower at Tenth and Main is financially feasible.

“We’re looking at how to make it work,” he said.
I find the Tower Properties comments ridiculous. Now this project needs to happen just to stick it to them
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:13 am
earthling wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:02 am https://cityscenekc.com/kcata-pursuing- ... -and-main/
Parson said more study needs to be done to determine whether the proposed mixed-use tower at Tenth and Main is financially feasible.

“We’re looking at how to make it work,” he said.
I find the Tower Properties comments ridiculous. Now this project needs to happen just to stick it to them

Seriously!
The proposal is opposed by Tower Properties, the real estate division of Commerce Bank.

Thomas “Buzz” Willard, CEO of Tower Properties, said the KCATA’s development proposal doesn’t make sense from a financial or operational point of view, and urged the 1/2 acre site at Tenth and Main be used for a park instead.

“Why the KCATA thinks they need first generation office space when there’s all this available office space downtown is beyond me,” Willard said.

“I don’t understand how this project would work,” he added. “It’s a pretty small site and the KCATA also is obligated to maintain the fountain that’s there in perpetuity. I don’t think it’s financeable.”
In the meantime, Willard said potential funding has been identified to maintain and program a park—if the KCATA would transfer the property to the city or parks department.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I think Tower Properties should keep their focus on the vast parking lot wasteland they created on the north side of the loop and let the ATA pursue whatever they deem feasible on their property. If it proves to be an economically viable plan and helps to increase the downtown population, then more power to them. I’m sick of the “old money” interests downtown stifling any attempts to invigorate the CBD. The same bitching was heard when the Sprint (T-Mobile) Center was proposed, again by the old money Kempers (another branch of the family). The partnership of Edgemoor represents big out-of-town money being interested in investing in our downtown, something that was unheard of in years past.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

UMB's bitching about sprint was all about them getting something in return for losing that branch. They were all in after that.

Not sure "sticking it" to one of the big downtown employers is great way to go but hey, it's a message board, I get it.

I do think they are overblowing the little bit of office space in this proposal.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

isn't the office space for KCATA and Streetcar Authority? Is there any actual speculative office space?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

kboish wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:24 pm isn't the office space for KCATA and Streetcar Authority? Is there any actual speculative office space?
Nope which is why the comments from the tower properties guy is even more ridiculous. This isn’t competing with their stuff in any way
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:26 pm
kboish wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:24 pm isn't the office space for KCATA and Streetcar Authority? Is there any actual speculative office space?
Nope which is why the comments from the tower properties guy is even more ridiculous. This isn’t competing with their stuff in any way
They must be upset then that they aren’t taking the space already there. I’m a fan of building this and turning the older stuff into residential or mixed use
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I think the comment was more about how much space downtown currently has they could have occupied. I mean it makes sense for ATA to build ATA space on ATA land.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

If built out to the taller version this would be the first change to the north loop skyline in this century.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

i really hope this happens. there just really is no need for a park there. Is the PnL rooftop park still open to the public? Its like two blocks away.

its nice they are keeping that fountain too.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

One cannot take Tower Properties seriously about anything. Willard is just blowing smoke out his ass.
...The Tower Property executive also said a park is desired by nearby residents in the Library Lofts and other apartment buildings.

“The neighborhood around this would probably resist any type of city subsidy (for a RDC project) because the neighborhood has spoken that they…want a public park that would be programmed by the Downtown Council,” Willard said.

That assertion however, was challenged by Josh Boehm, the president of the Downtown Neighborhood Association.

“We’ve always supported the redevelopment of that site with some sort of infill, although we haven’t been particular about the use,” Boehm said.

He said there was less interest in a park at Tenth and Main because there already are parks and green spaces in the nearby area.

“We’re not necessarily opposed to that (a park), but an opportunity for a TOD (transportation-oriented development) would be welcome as well,” Boehm said.

https://cityscenekc.com/kcata-pursuing- ... -and-main/
Willard gives the impression he's speaking for neighborhood residents when in fact their spokesman indicates the opposite stance. Willard is just a mouthpiece for the Kemper family who wants to maintain control over everything happening inside the Downtown Loop.

Can anyone point out any large development project downtown being financed by either Kemper-controlled bank (Commerce, UMB) in the last 10 years, 20 years?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Not only do the Kempers want to maintain control, they feel entitled to have control over anything that happens in that part of downtown.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It's the Putin "Sphere of Influence" 19th century policy.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Sounds like Willard is talking out of his ass. if a park is going to be maintained by the downtown council it would likely be the South Loop and not 10th and Main the density is welcome there. Although I will admit I am skeptical of KCATA’s real estate abilities but it’s definitely a step in the right direction. I hope it gets financed honestly the design is pretty great and 200 more living units downtown is always a plus.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:17 am
GRID wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:27 am Good to see such a substantial project proposed for the site, but I give this about a 5% chance of happening.
I'll take that bet
I think it's awesome that they are shooting for the stars here. But the KCATA and KCMO have a terrible track record of developing anything substantial on city owned property and the same can be said about this team of developers. Throw in the very tight footprint, the typical anti change/development coming from a major downtown property owner (tower properties) and a city hall and voter culture that hates the idea of a single public dollar going to development (unless it's suburban) and you have a perfect storm of nothing ever happening here.

The only hope is that Edgemore is somehow able to pull this off. And while they really don't have much experience in such a large, complicated urban project like this, they did somehow land the KCI terminal which I am still shocked by to this day. And while the new KCI terminal is about as basic and you can possibly get and has only gotten more basic since they won the job they still managed to get the job.

The KCI terminal was kind of out of their league and Edgemore may try to make this tower a priority to up their game in this type of construction as well. I still just don't see it happening with KC's development culture right now. Especially with Swope Builders involved. And even if it does, I won't look anything like that rendering although that's okay.

I really hope I am wrong as any large infill project like this would be a pretty awesome addition to downtown KC, especially near the parking lot wasteland of Tower Properties.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I was thinking about the apartment pipeline for downtown today and really hope that everything gets built as it would greatly increase population density and activity.

Projects like 10th and Main (200), 3 Light (288), Midland (117), Mark Twain/Continental (222), Muehlebach Hotel Renovation (117 units if that's even still planned), Fashionbilt Lofts (222), AT&T (265), 8th and Grand Southwest (338 - submitted before incentive deadline), 11th and Grand Northeast (115 - submitted before incentive deadline), and Admiral and Cherry Northwest (250 - submitted before incentive deadline). Without knowing what 4 Light will include, that's 2134 apartments planned or underway. Throw in the Crossroads and River Market and that number balloons significantly.

The more residents the better. This all needs to happen in addition to a reworking of the 13th and Grand and 13th and Wyandotte plans (remove or reduce office space, add residential).
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:43 pm I was thinking about the apartment pipeline for downtown today and really hope that everything gets built as it would greatly increase population density and activity.

Projects like 10th and Main (200), 3 Light (288), Midland (117), Mark Twain/Continental (222), Muehlebach Hotel Renovation (117 units if that's even still planned), Fashionbilt Lofts (222), AT&T (265), 8th and Grand Southwest (338 - submitted before incentive deadline), 11th and Grand Northeast (115 - submitted before incentive deadline), and Admiral and Cherry Northwest (250 - submitted before incentive deadline). Without knowing what 4 Light will include, that's 2134 apartments planned or underway. Throw in the Crossroads and River Market and that number balloons significantly.

The more residents the better. This all needs to happen in addition to a reworking of the 13th and Grand and 13th and Wyandotte plans (remove or reduce office space, add residential).
I won't be surprised to see DT population exceed all expectations by 2030. Exciting times.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think the KCATA has a huge opportunity to set the standard for what DT construction looks like in the not-so-distant future. High design instead of boxy and boring, transit oriented which gives more funding for design instead of parking garage and, hopefully, focused on sustainability and the environment. I'm hopeful they can pull it off.