OFFICIAL - Wallstreet Tower (formerly US Bank Tower)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

OFFICIAL: Wallstreet Tower ( was:US Bank Tower going condo)

Post by KCPowercat »

I absolutely love this idea. Even if the 'ho' building is knocked down a new retail building could be erected and the park used as a huge open air restaurant and bar. That would be used big time by the surrounding office and residential people. Submit that idea to CIMO, the CID, Wallstreet towers, SOMEBODY....that could really work well.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I went to see these today and they are AMAZING. They are laid out perfectly. The big unit has the kitchen built right up against the glass. I would kill for that unit. The views and materials are top notch.

The agent said that they are about a year ahead of schedule on selling the units. They have a display showing which units are left and some floorplans are completely sold out already. The agent also mentioned that the south views are selling better than the north views, even though the north is an awesome urban view. Apparantly, people are buying on the south side in anticipation of the arena and P&L.

If you get a chance, check these out. Awesome units.

I also looked down on the neighboring building and they are actively working on the demolition. The agent kept talking about how they are "getting rid" of that building. I went into the history of it and said it was very unfortunate and he got defensive and said "well, it had to go". That was interesting.

Awesome units. Hopefully I can afford something like this in the future. It is going to be hard for any development to beat these.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I fell in love when I first saw them too.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

1115 Walnut will be coming down soon. Wallstreet developer isn't sure what they will do with the land yet. Luckily it's too small for a surface parking lot.

Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

KCPowercat wrote:1115 Walnut will be coming down soon. Wallstreet developer isn't sure what they will do with the land yet. Luckily it's too small for a surface parking lot.
That's a shame. That looks like it would be a cool little building for a small neighborhood grocery with a few lofts above it.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Thrillcekr wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:1115 Walnut will be coming down soon. Wallstreet developer isn't sure what they will do with the land yet. Luckily it's too small for a surface parking lot.
That's a shame. That looks like it would be a cool little building for a small neighborhood grocery with a few lofts above it.
I'm just going to miss the contrast of the stone with the vines growing up it, facing that little pocket park there. Whatever they do with it won't be as good.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

If 1115 Walnut must be knocked down, it would be really cool looking if they did put in a small park (with outdoor cafes and all) like the one in NYC shown above and had the planted area spread down into the open base of Wallstreet Tower. The vines currently growing on the north side of the WST "lobby" would complete the span of vegetation.
A fool and your money are soon united.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Gladstoner wrote:If 1115 Walnut must be knocked down, it would be really cool looking if they did put in a small park (with outdoor cafes and all) like the one in NYC shown above and had the planted area spread down into the open base of Wallstreet Tower. The vines currently growing on the north side of the WST "lobby" would complete the span of vegetation.
The only problem is that building already borders a park. Now we'll have most of the block as a park. That isn't really the tight urban pocket park we're going for, I don't think.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I also like the idea of making this area into an indoor/outdoor cafe that spills into the park. Something like a Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans. That would be a pretty big risk but with all the people being drawn to the entertainment district soon, a huge cafe with plenty of seating indoor and outdoor (some covered, some not, with the ability to heat in the winter) might be a huge draw.

Something to think about Rosterrie people.

bad picture of cafe du monde

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote:I also like the idea of making this area into an indoor/outdoor cafe that spills into the park. Something like a Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans. That would be a pretty big risk but with all the people being drawn to the entertainment district soon, a huge cafe with plenty of seating indoor and outdoor (some covered, some not, with the ability to heat in the winter) might be a huge draw.

Something to think about Rosterrie people.

bad picture of cafe du monde
Do you really want that when it will be dead space in the winter, unless people will be dining in their parkas?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Dont ever eat a bag of cold greasy beignets on Ash Wednessday morning.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm just brainstorming but here is a quick layout

There would be some uncovered seating towards the front towards the sidewalk. The blue is covered outdoor seating that could have heaters and clear plastic in place to enclose in winter weather....still some indoor seating as well.

Just an idea.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote:I'm just brainstorming but here is a quick layout

There would be some uncovered seating towards the front towards the sidewalk. The blue is covered outdoor seating that could have heaters and clear plastic in place to enclose in winter weather....still some indoor seating as well.

Just an idea.
That could work. I think Le Fou Frog has a similar indoor/outdoor area like that. Truth told, with some heaters, outdoor space is usable for 9 - 10 months out of the year. Just playing devil's advocate, since I feel like we already have too much open space on that block. You'd have to have a clever partition between the cafe and the park for visual seperation.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

I just saw the site on Terraserver. I didn't realize the park covered so much ground (assuming nothing is hidden in the shadows; I'll have to drive by it this morning to see for myself). Knowing that, it would be nice if they could build a new condo tower on the north side of 12th street. Then the new tower and Wallstreet would form bookends to a smaller park in the middle of the block.

I like the schematic shown above, but I would like it if the cafe was set back a little and separated from the street by a little greenery as far back as the recess beneath Wallstreet. What I have in mind is similar to an Embassy Suites (don't laugh) I've been to in Chicago where there was a restaurant in the courtyard surrounded by greenery and a pool with walkways throughout. In the park's case, a path would lead to the cafe through the landscaping. It could be really cool if done right.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Would someone be able to get a good overhead image of the Wallstreet-Oppenstein Park block, perhaps from the Town Pavilion?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Gladstoner wrote:Would someone be able to get a good overhead image of the Wallstreet-Oppenstein Park block, perhaps from the Town Pavilion?
Here is the best I can do...

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

That white line you see is where the building that is being torn down currently stands. You can see where Wallstreet starts, so it is pretty evident from this picture, despite being littered with shadows, that most of that block will be empty space.

I like the idea of doing bookends on each side with a pocket park in the middle. I assume the city owns that land. Would they turn it over to a developer if they came in and wanted to a midrise residential project? Piggybacking on the success of Wallstreet, I don't think they'd have any problems selling it. Maybe, in the spirit of Western Auto, they'll pre-sale all of Wallstreet and move on to do a few other small projects on the block.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The park is actually owned by Jackson County. Since it is a memorial park (the Oppenstein brothers, or is it Oppenheimer?) I wonder if the family would have to approve, or the county could just lease the land.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

staubio, thanks for the image. Since I'm always looking at the surrounding buildings when driving through, I've never noticed how big that park is.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have no real problem with the park where it is....just personal opinion....I've sold myself on the big indoor/outdoor cafe. Now to pitch it to wallstreet :)