2013 - 2014 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Re: 2013 - 2014 College Football Season

Post by KCtonic »

Wow.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Kinda demonstrates why KU refuses to play MU in an annual basketball game in KC even though it would be great for KC.

Time heals all wounds.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If you wanna get on the Mizzou Bandwagon these shirts are 50% off with promo code MIZ50. I actually like this company a lot because the shirts are really nice and soft but they are usually expensive without the promo code

http://originalretrobrand.com/missouri- ... nmblk.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I was rooting for MU tonite, but their inability do defend the screen pass is maddening.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

It's frustrating to lose a game that you so easily could have won. But, Mizzou still sits on top the division with a 2-game lead over Georgia & Florida. Also, I didn't expect the Tigers to win 7 games, so I can't be too disappointed with 7-1. Still, you hate to let a game slip away like that.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:It's frustrating to lose a game that you so easily could have won. But, Mizzou still sits on top the division with a 2-game lead over Georgia & Florida. Also, I didn't expect the Tigers to win 7 games, so I can't be too disappointed with 7-1. Still, you hate to let a game slip away like that.
Isn't it just a one game lead over Scar though and they now own the tiebreaker with only 2 conference games left? And Mizzou has four conference games including 2 road games at A&M and Mississippi. The Tigers won't win the SEC east - the odds are just stacked against it with the remaining schedules as they are. Not a bad year for Mizzou but they've not beaten a ranked team yet (Both Ga and Fla have fallen out of the top 25) so it's difficult to gage progress. The SCar game was a tough one to lose, but blowing a 17 point lead at home in the 4th quarter is unforgivable.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

grovester wrote:I was rooting for MU tonite, but their inability do defend the screen pass is maddening.
What was maddening was not blitzing on 4th and long when SCar scored a TD to keep pace in OT. You might be vulnerable to the screen on a blitz but on a short field, a screen probably isn't going to yield a TD, a long pass can and will if the QB has all day to throw it.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Seriously? It definitely was a really tough loss, especially because it was so winnable, but all is not lost. Mizzou is still in the top 10 and has a great chance to win the SEC East. Yes, lots of mistakes in the game against SC, but it was their third game vs. top 25 teams in a row and the third without their Senior QB for the full game and most talented defensive secondary player on defense.

To put things in perspective, these sorts of things were being thrown around after a couple of games this season:
Highlander wrote: Got a chance to watch Mizzou yesterday. Wasn't impressed. If not for several brain dead decisions by the Toledo QB, the Tigers could have and probably would have ended up with their first loss of the season. Franklin was the bright spot but losses from graduation and to the NFL on the defensive front have made the defense vulnerable to anyone who can run the football. Offense might be OK this year but Mizzou is going to have a tough time stopping anybody (except maybe Florida who looks just god awful on offense).
AllThingsKC wrote: In short, I agree with that Highlander said. Unlike K-State, I expect Mizzou to actually get worse as the season progresses. QB Jame Franklin (who wasn't great last year at all) looked pretty solid against Toledo, but the defense concerns me. Even with a perfect QB, Mizzou's current defense won't win many SEC games. What really sucks is that IF they can start 4-0 and somehow get 2 conference wins (@ Vandy, @ Kentucky, vs. Florida), that puts them at 6-6. I'd take 6-6 as an improvement from last year. But, I fear 6-6 would be "good enough" for Pinkel to keep his job for one more year. I'm not much of a Pinkel fan. Prediction: 5-7 or 6-6.
Highlander wrote: Frankly, with Vandy and Kentucky on the road, I'm thinking Florida (badly overrated for the last two years) is the most winnable of those three games.
Mizzou has exceeded everyone's expectations already and likely will continue to do so. Enjoy a great season. It's not over and I fully expect a good finish. This second season in the SEC has been a lot of fun so far and in my opinion is a great example of Mizzou's potential in this league. I think Mauk has a great arm and will learn from his mistakes - lots of potential for the next seasons. And rumor is Franklin will be back sooner than some think.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

harbinger911 wrote:Pinkle...... the dumbest idiot in all of ncaa football.

IF there is a 1-in-a-million chance to lose, Pinkle will dig to China to get it done.
It pains me to know you are a Missouri fan ;)

Pinkle has made plenty of mistakes - some big ones. But there are a lot worse options out there and it would be foolish to wish him away at this point. He has done a lot for Mizzou and will continue to.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Speaking of college coaches, anyone think Pelini will survive this season?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Pinkle has made plenty of mistakes - some big ones. But there are a lot worse options out there and it would be foolish to wish him away at this point. He has done a lot for Mizzou and will continue to.
Curious. Just wonder if there exists a college coach, or a coach at any level in any sport, who hasn't made mistakes. Wonder if Woody, Bob or Larry are available?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
Curious. Just wonder if there exists a college coach, or a coach at any level in any sport, who hasn't made mistakes. Wonder if Woody, Bob or Larry are available?
Woody Widenhofer seems to be available: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/03/43 ... ormer.html

Side note: I really like what Vahe Gregorian has brought to the Star's sports page. He's a great addition.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

chaglang wrote: I really like what Vahe Gregorian has brought to the Star's sports page. He's a great addition.
Agreed. At least they still have a small budget to pay sports writers, other than that the Star has mostly been mothballed in terms of writers.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

kcmetro wrote:Image
This is super late, but this kid is in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48H7zOQrX3U
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

A guy had a seizure on the field during the K-State pre-game festivities as the crowd cheered (not knowing something was wrong). He was able to walk off the field...

http://www.inkbarreltv.com/inkbarrelCMS ... n&id=12116

Scary stuff when you know what's happening to him. I wonder how long it took before someone knew something was wrong.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

It was a good 2-3 minutes before the crowd realized there was anything wrong.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCtonic wrote:Speaking of college coaches, anyone think Pelini will survive this season?
I know you mean Bo, but his brother Carl just got canned by Florida Atlantic for being 2-6. Oh and he used drugs.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

KCMax wrote:
KCtonic wrote:Speaking of college coaches, anyone think Pelini will survive this season?
I know you mean Bo, but his brother Carl just got canned by Florida Atlantic for being 2-6. Oh and he used drugs.
I did. But yeah, extremely rough few days for the Pelini family. Wow.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

KCMax wrote:
He actually has some ties to KC. Former Winnetonka coach.