Aixois opening in Commerce Arcade

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Aixois opening in Commerce Arcade

Post by KCPowercat »

Coffee Dave serves good coffee I guess... Good enough for me.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Volker Dad wrote:
I just don't buy the idea that we should give him preferential treatment because he's been there the longest.
I'm not a leasing agent. But, it's called 'loyalty' in my book. if he's been a staple tenant who's paid his rent in good/bad times in the Arcade, act in good faith and don't put a coffee shop in the arcade.

that's all im saying. I honestly don't get much coffee there. maybe 3-4 times a month.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere, but Aixois downtown has changed hands and is now run by the former Aixois chef, Jason Crain. The space, now called Charisse after his wife, is really nice, and I had a chance to dine there over the weekend. It is certainly worth checking out. Their house cocktail was ridiculously delicious (scotch with cider liquor - the "Ten06 CHARISSE").

They are also very reliant on the lunch crowd, but it is a really nice place for a quiet dinner, and the booze selection seemed quite nice.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

The space, now called Charisse after his wife, is really nice, and I had a chance to dine there over the weekend. It is certainly worth checking out.
Has the space changed? I hope not, as it was/is a beautiful dining room. I used to eat at Aixois fairly frequently - burger and trout entree were great. I always liked eating at the bar; really nice spot. They fairly recently added a nice patio along Walnut as well.

Really want to see this place succeed, but it was never busy. Hoping a change does it well, thought I imagine the price point and quiet, off-the-beaten path space won't do it any favors. Would be amazing to see another reasonable after-hours spot or two open in the Arcade to get some traffic down there.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

rxlexi wrote:
The space, now called Charisse after his wife, is really nice, and I had a chance to dine there over the weekend. It is certainly worth checking out.
Has the space changed? I hope not, as it was/is a beautiful dining room. I used to eat at Aixois fairly frequently - burger and trout entree were great. I always liked eating at the bar; really nice spot. They fairly recently added a nice patio along Walnut as well.

Really want to see this place succeed, but it was never busy. Hoping a change does it well, thought I imagine the price point and quiet, off-the-beaten path space won't do it any favors. Would be amazing to see another reasonable after-hours spot or two open in the Arcade to get some traffic down there.
Nope. No changes to the interior. Chef Crain has stuck with the French influence, and the website slogan is "Old French, New American."

http://www.charissekc.com/

**Edit** - Also, as I found out, you can park in the adjoining parking garage for free on the weekends, which was surprising. The entrance to the garage, with a sign proclaiming "Charisse Parking" was setup on the East site of Main between 10th and 11th, and the barricade arm was lifted.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

rxlexi wrote:

That is a terrific space. The Croque Monsiuer is amazing (you'll need a nap afterwards). The traffic for that place seems sporadic.