Westside Local - Restaurant & Beer Garden

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Westside Local - Restaurant & Beer Garden

Post by loftguy »

Sat in the beer garden last nite, late.  Lots of folks celebrating the incredibly mild weather by gathering at the Local.
New (few weeks) Sunday nite menu.  Fried Chicken with waffles, open face meatloaf sandwich, vegetarian shephards pie, and cheese sandwiches.

The meatloaf includes ground ribeye and braunschweiger.  Very tasty.  Others really enjoyed the chicken.  I just never got that souther penchant to have maple syrup covered waffles with pan fried bird.

Love this place.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

FINALLY checking this out tomorrow night, I'm so excited.  Any must try menu items?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

jdubwaldo wrote: FINALLY checking this out tomorrow night, I'm so excited.  Any must try menu items?
Just let your tastebuds tapdance through the menu and settle on what sounds good.

Be sure to pick a couple/few of the small plates to get you going.

Have fun!  It's that kind of place.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

[quote][/FINALLY checking this out tomorrow night, I'm so excited.  Any must try menu items?quote]

A BLVD Tank 7 draft (my fave Bully beer) pairs well with many of their delicous sandwhiches w/ garlic fries, from my experience.  Enjoy, it's a great place.
are we spinning free?
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

My girlfriend and I loved Westside local and are excited to go back with our hubbies.  I can't wait until it gets nice enough to enjoy the beer garden!  Awesome beer list, although we split a bottle of wine.  We ordered the deviled egg locality, then had to get another it was so tasty.  Also tried the charcuterie plate, which was great, other than one meat I didn't care too much for that looked like bologne.  We split the Westside Roast Beef sandwich and both thought it was average.  I concur with the board the garlic fries are amazing.  I hope this place is wildly successful, as I love the neighborhood, beer list and atmosphere and can't wait to go back!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

jdubwaldo wrote: Also tried the charcuterie plate, which was great, other than one meat I didn't care too much for that looked like bologne. 
That would be the homeade braunschwieger.  Basically just a bunch of delicious liver and fat - an acquired taste but one well worth acquiring.  :D
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I would seriously just order the bigger plate of deviled eggs all to myself.  People might look at me funny though, I would literally leave with egg on my face.  :lol:
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Avoid the chicken sandwhich - it is covered with a nice big slice of the braunschweiger - best way to rescue a piece of chicken breast, cover it in lots of tasty red meat/fat.   :lol:
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Avoid the chicken sandwhich - it is covered with a nice big slice of the braunschweiger - best way to rescue a piece of chicken breast, cover it in lots of tasty red meat/fat.  :lol:
Haven't had the sandwich yet - but I support the use of braunschweiger whenever possible.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

we ate dinner at westside local a couple of fridays ago, and it was really excellent.  

we shared a bunch of smaller things - mussels, fries, hummus, salad, and a small apps plate with la quercia ham, cheese, kobasa, etc.  everything was really top-notch, with good ingredients and pretty creative flourishes.  the salad was comprised of chard and had a really delicious dressing on it.  the mussels had an orange-fennel based sauce that was delicious, and came with great grilled bread for the sauce.  the hummus was tasty, esp. with the accompanying hot sauce.  we also sampled some brews from their copious list.  

all in all it was a very tasty, reasonably-priced meal.  we ate and drank way too much, but that happens.  we had great service too.  

the place was pretty empty when we arrived around 5:30, but it was totally full when we left around 7:30.  i hope it's doing well!  very welcome addition to the neighborhood and KC dining scene.  
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

i hope it's doing well!  very welcome addition to the neighborhood and KC dining scene. 
i agree!  Westside Local fits the character of its neighborhood so well, and did such a great job renovating and utilizing their building and patio.  A nice little humming center of activity and socialization (not to mention good to great food and drink) on the Westside.  Can you imagine if each of KC's "high potential" older hoods could develop just one or two places like this - I'm thinking Old Northeast and Hyde Park in particular.
are we spinning free?
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I'm a little tardy in posting here.  My hubby and I went to Westside Local last Friday night to enjoy the beer garden for dinner, and I was disappointed this trip.  :?  It was my second visit, first time sitting outside and his first visit.  The garden was great, it seems like it will be nice and cool even once these days get a lot hotter when summer arrives.  We each had a couple tank 7s, and I had some deviled eggs, which I absolutely loved.  These were the highlights of the trip.  I had an order of garlic fries which were good, but not as good as my first time there, for some reason I'm not a huge fan of their ketcup.  He had the summit burger, which he thought was average/good.  I had the quinoa + winter squash which was the main reason I felt disappointed this time.  I wanted something pretty ligh & without meat so thought I would give it a try.  I am not a price sensitive shopper when it comes to food.  It was good, but $16 for a scoop of quinoa on a couple pieces of lettuce is just crazy.  I felt a bit violated. 

I'll definitely be back, but this wasn't a great visit unfortunately.  I had hyped it up to the mister and he didn't quite understand why, although he agreed we will be back to indulge in some more tank 7 in the patio area.  To me this is a great go-to place for a long, drawn out happy hour with a bunch of localities, as opposed to a dinner spot.  For me anyway.  I will try again though, the atmosphere and beers are killer.  :)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i will chime in and say that i think the food at this place is overrated. i've been there at least a half dozen times -- lunch and dinner -- and had great/okay/unimpressive meals in such an ersatz order i'm no longer sure what to expect. i also wish their indoor bar area was a bit bigger -- it's practically useless when the weather is bad.

that being said, it still holds promise as KC's only gastropub.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Went for my 3rd visit Friday night.  I've been very impressed with the food, and I think it's reasonably priced.  My date and I had deviled eggs, which were good, but a bit heavy on the dijon/mustard spice.  Everything else was really delicious.  I don't think I've ever been so impressed by a simple roast beef/french dip sandwich, but it was incredible.  The beef was so rich and savory, with emmenthaler cheese (I think), and on a beautiful crispy french roll.  The fries were great and I loved the homemade ketchup.  My date had a burger which she equally loved. 

So after 3 visits, the food here is the star in my opinion.  It's been awesome every time.  I love the beer list as well.  I will agree that the bar area is too small to be really functional or comfortable and the dining room is nice, but a little stark or bright.  The beer garden with picnic tables couldn't be better.  Great space.

The most inconsistent aspect has been the service.  It was pretty bad the first two visits, but maybe they're turning it around, because Friday was great.  Interesting because the first two visits were in the dining room and this one was in the bar.  But overall Friday night was a great experience, and the place was rocking busy.  Will definitely be back.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

starting today, westside local is serving brunch on sundays from 10-3.  we just ate there - i had chicken and waffles, my fiancee had biscuits and gravy.  they were both outstanding!  the fried chicken is probably the best i've had - campo lindo chicken, with a crispy, well-spiced breading.  the waffle was good too.  the biscuits and gravy were delicious.  

i think WL is one of the better places for a casual meal in the city.  i've never had anything i didn't think was good or great.  they have a good beer and wine list too.  and now that it's patio season, sitting outdoors there is great.  

i will say that i am baffled by mimosa pricing, here and almost everywhere else.  why are they $8?  room 39 is the lone exception, with great mimosas for $5.  
Last edited by chrizow on Sun May 02, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

chrizow wrote:
i will say that i am baffled by mimosa pricing, here and almost everywhere else.  why are they $8?  room 39 is the lone exception, with great mimosas for $5.  
$2 @ Grinders all day Sunday. They're great. At least that's what my wife says.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

chrizow wrote: starting today, westside local is serving brunch on sundays from 10-3.  we just ate there - i had chicken and waffles, my fiancee had biscuits and gravy.  they were both outstanding!  the fried chicken is probably the best i've had - campo lindo chicken, with a crispy, well-spiced breading.  the waffle was good too.  the biscuits and gravy were delicious. 

i think WL is one of the better places for a casual meal in the city.  i've never had anything i didn't think was good or great.  they have a good beer and wine list too.  and now that it's patio season, sitting outdoors there is great. 

i will say that i am baffled by mimosa pricing, here and almost everywhere else.  why are they $8?  room 39 is the lone exception, with great mimosas for $5. 

I also think mimosas are ridiculously overpriced.  What's worse is that it's not all that uncommon to be charged $5 just for fresh squeezed OJ.  That being said, I'd rather spend a buck or two more for fresh OJ in place of some sysco crap.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

I've also never had chicken & waffles.  Ever.  Is it just me or is this becoming more and more popular?  It doesn't sound appealing to me at all, but the more I see it the more I feel like I should at least give it a try.  If I were to trust anyplace to do it, Westside Local would definitely be one of them based on the meals I've had there.
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

Second time there on Friday night.  Had the chilean sea bass and the date had the mussels.  Both were very average.  I was very jealous of the guy beside me that had the hamburger.  Beergarden was nice.  Very good service.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Westside Local is today's Groupon for those who weren't aware already.  They are selling $30 coupons for $15 dollars.  There is a limit of 2 per person, and alcohol is included.