"Pizza-in-a-cup"?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: trader joe's.

Post by chrizow »

dangerboy wrote: I believe you are thinking of the defunct Hot'n Now chain.  The one on Linwood is now a Popeye's.
do you mean china feast?  that thing looks just like a hot n now...or a checkers.

CHK F RICE 3.49
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: CHK F RICE 3.49
You must have missed a sad development - they have replaced the infamous "CH K F R CE" sign with a permant picture of some fried chicken dinner.  Apparently there weren't enough places on this block where you could get a fried chicken dinner - so china feast is jumping in to serve the market. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: You must have missed a sad development - they have replaced the infamous "CH K F R CE" sign with a permant picture of some fried chicken dinner.  Apparently there weren't enough places on this block where you could get a fried chicken dinner - so china feast is jumping in to serve the market.   
linwood is awesome.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: linwood is awesome.
I would love to see the thought process as someone drives right by the Church's AND the KFC and instead decides to pull into "China Feast, Now Featuring Fried Chicken!". 
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

chrizow wrote: do you mean china feast?  that thing looks just like a hot n now...or a checkers.

CHK F RICE 3.49
Yep - it was a Checkers until China Feast got run out by Subway down the street.

I dunno wtf the deal is with their new chicken dinners...& they're Cajun, too. Which makes NO sense w/Popeye's right across the street.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I would love to see the thought process as someone drives right by the Church's AND the KFC and instead decides to pull into "China Feast, Now Featuring Fried Chicken!". 
AND the popeye's at gillham/linwood. 
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I would love to see the thought process as someone drives right by the Church's AND the KFC and instead decides to pull into "China Feast, Now Featuring Fried Chicken!". 
Maybe someone in the family wants pork fried rice, someone else wants fried chicken?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

DiggityDawg wrote: Yep - it was a Checkers until China Feast got run out by Subway down the street.

I dunno wtf the deal is with their new chicken dinners...& they're Cajun, too. Which makes NO sense w/Popeye's right across the street.
It was something else after it was Checkers and before it was China Feast - another burger joint.  I recall eating there in early 2003... it was called something like Burger Time or something..
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Someone on the TJ-KC Facebook group claims that sometime this month the manager of a St. Louis store told them that TJs is confirmed for KC and they are scouting the Missouri side for locations.  The manager said to expect a TJs here within 1 to 1.5 years.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

I heard they are looking at Village West....Yawn.

Also looking at a site in mid-town/Westportish area.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Midtown/Westport would be good. Maybe replace Whole Foods?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Midtown/Westport would be good. Maybe replace Whole Foods?
Are you talking about the old wild oats on Main?  Way - Way - too small.  That place was too small to be a wild oats; it was like selling groceries out of your grandma's living room with a little overflow merchandise in the dining room.  The only grocery business that space is really suited to is a corner market. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

dangerboy wrote: Someone on the TJ-KC Facebook group claims that sometime this month the manager of a St. Louis store told them that TJs is confirmed for KC and they are scouting the Missouri side for locations.  The manager said to expect a TJs here within 1 to 1.5 years.
a manager at the chesterfield store told me this 1 to 1.5 years ago.   :)

my prediction:

135th and state line (on the MO side)

Plaza area - maybe the missing piece to kick the 51st/Main area into gear.

would like to see maybe a Waldo area location too.  good for SKC residents and you get the sexy PV, old leawood, etc. demos.  
LenexatoKCMO wrote: Are you talking about the old wild oats on Main?  Way - Way - too small.  That place was too small to be a wild oats; it was like selling groceries out of your grandma's living room with a little overflow merchandise in the dining room.  The only grocery business that space is really suited to is a corner market. 
it's still open, and reportedly Whole Foods is going to replace it with a regular-sized store somewhere in the Plaza area.  i'd like to see an urban-scaled one right there at the NW corner of 43/Main that has been a vacant lot for a long time.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: it's still open, and reportedly Whole Foods is going to replace it with a regular-sized store somewhere in the Plaza area.  i'd like to see an urban-scaled one right there at the NW corner of 43/Main that has been a vacant lot for a long time.
Did they pull it out of the anti-trust settlement?  This was supposed to be one of something like 9 locations they had to pull out of in order for the acquisition to go through.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Did they pull it out of the anti-trust settlement?  This was supposed to be one of something like 9 locations they had to pull out of in order for the acquisition to go through.
the settlement did not require them to shut the store down immediately.  i think they have a long time to do it, and in the meantime they've changed over everything but the exterior signage to Whole Foods.  it's really an anomalous location for the chain, i am very pleased they've kept it going.  it's really a gem.  we do a lot of shopping there, actually.  anyone who thinks it is too small is a pussy.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

chrizow wrote: the settlement did not require them to shut the store down immediately.  i think they have a long time to do it, and in the meantime they've changed over everything but the exterior signage to Whole Foods.  it's really an anomalous location for the chain, i am very pleased they've kept it going.  it's really a gem.  we do a lot of shopping there, actually.  anyone who thinks it is too small is a pussy.
=D>
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: anyone who thinks it is too small is a pussy.
Hey, I am not editorializing on the efficacy of small-scale food shoping.  What I am pointing out is that this space is microscopic compared to the usual space used by these chains - probably about an eighth the sq footage of a typical trader joes.  So to suggest it is a viable location for a TJ's is probably pretty far off the mark. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah, i actually don't know where a TJ's could go in the plaza area, unless they erected some sort of parking structure.  reportedly they wouldn't open on the plaza because of parking concerns.  the midtown Osco does not have TJ's-adequate parking (in their minds).  so while many of us are chomping at the bit for this store, we also need to take into account that it's going to be a suburban-style, car-oriented business.  maybe they can at least put the store on the street somewhere and have parking on the rear - or at least join midtown marketplace and share that insanely massive parking lot with home depot and costco.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I heard Beth Gottstein say something about it going in the Uptown Shoppes once, but, she's developed a reputation in my mind of getting absolutely nothing done so it probably won't happen.