New Townhomes in west River Market? (along Wyandotte)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: New Townhomes in west River Market? (along Wyandotte)

Post by moderne »

Wasn't Annie Chambers' house somewhere in this vicinity?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, it was located at 3rd and Wyandotte. The address was 300 Wyandotte.

Here is a photo of the front hallway. I've never seen a photo of the actual exterior of the house though.

http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_view ... OX=1&REC=9
There is no fifth destination.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thats what the RiverMarket needs now---a fancy high class whorehouse!  Wonder what ever happened to the painting(was it her?) that used to hang in Annie's Santa Fe on the Plaza.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: Thats what the RiverMarket needs now---a fancy high class whorehouse!   Wonder what ever happened to the painting(was it her?) that used to hang in Annie's Santa Fe on the Plaza.
seems like i read something about where that is being displayed now... perhaps the national archives?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

so no one has pictures of the rendering, but are still willing to bash it?

rowhomes or even urban townhomes work in tons of locations. there are 50 other vacant lots in the river market to go vertical if that's what people want.
DaveKCMO wrote: seems like i read something about where that is being displayed now... perhaps the national archives?
that's a mirror by their main staircase.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

trailerkid wrote: so no one has pictures of the rendering, but are still willing to bash it?
I guess you aren't keeping up with this topic.  I posed the renderings a few days ago.  You can also see them on El Dorado's website...

BTW, who was bashing the project?
Midtownkid wrote: In case you haven't seen the renderings...

I really like the design.  The roof trellises look nice and the green roofs (if those happen) are really great, too.  I do wish the parking lot in back was shown as brick like the back alleys in DC's townhouse neighborhoods.  Small back yards would be nice too, but I guess the cars are the priority.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Oh great, more cookie cutter, mass produced, cracker boxes.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

:o  Cookie Cutter?!  I think they are nicely designed.  The shapes and layered spaces are much more interesting than the standard "faux Tuscan" cookie cutter designs that are so popular today.  If this was the standard cookie cutter design, the world would be a more well designed place.   (Although I'll agree that the front is not exactly beautiful.  The brick and gray siding is a little cookie cutter, i guess.)

To me, this is more 'cookie cutter'
ImageImage
Last edited by Midtownkid on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

they are definitely "cookie cutter."  to me cookie cutter just means that all the dwellings look the same, and these certainly fit that description.  it's not the "cookie cutter" aspect that's the problem, it's what is being repeated.  urban blocks in brooklyn or DC or chicago can look very, very much the same because they are "cookie cutter" but the advantage over a similarly cookie cutter exurban subdivision is the architecture, design/finish, the urban context, etc.  i'm sure these el dorado townhouses will be of a fairly high quality, but not at the level of a stone townhouse in NYC or something. 
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Midtownkid wrote: BTW, who was bashing the project?
I was the one bashing the project.....i don't dislike the eldo townhome model, i just dislike the location for this product.  And i don't like the phasing...i mean build 2 then sell them, then build two more...etc, etc.  Not efficient from a contruction prespective.   Just my opinion.  I wish them luck.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Why is this all of the sudden a discussion anyway? has there been any recent development that makes anyone think this will actually happen? i walk past this location many times a day and haven't seen anything suggesting they're about to start ripping up parking lot.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Midtownkid wrote: :o  Cookie Cutter?!  I think they are nicely designed.  The shapes and layered spaces are much more interesting than the standard "faux Tuscan" cookie cutter designs that are so popular today.  If this was the standard cookie cutter design, the world would be a more well designed place.   (Although I'll agree that the front is not exactly beautiful.  The brick and gray siding is a little cookie cutter, i guess.)

To me, this is more 'cookie cutter'
ImageImage
that statement began as a joke, but the more I look at it I stand by it (except for the mass produced part). There is nothing that would distinguish those units from each other than the house number. I don't know the scale yet but it does look crackerboxish. Just cause its at 5th and Dot doesn't mean it's good design.

The row houses in NY and DC at least seam to have different material type house to house.

If you lived in this project how would you tell someone which house is yours? "I live in the row houses on 5th. third one down, the one with the _________ on the front."
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Ahh, i see what you mean.  As a 'development' the units are cookie cutter to each other, yes.  I was thinking on a broader, city scale.  In that case they are not cookie cutter, as they do not match any other development.  

BTW, while there is a wide variety of townhouse styles in DC, it is not uncommon to pass an entire block of 1880s town houses that are all the exact same. (i walk around capitol hill everyday)  There is this one style of townhouse from the 1930s that especially 'cookie cutter' and found literally all over the city.

cookie cutter?

Common 1930s style

Last edited by Midtownkid on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

ColumbusParkian wrote: Why is this all of the sudden a discussion anyway? has there been any recent development that makes anyone think this will actually happen? i walk past this location many times a day and haven't seen anything suggesting they're about to start ripping up parking lot.
they started digging the foundations last week.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i was JUST coming back to say "whoops!"

Throughout this entire discussion for some reason i've been thinking of Delaware street, not Wyandotte. I walked around today and saw what you were talking about.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Speaking of cookie cutter...

"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

loftguy wrote: I think you need to anticipate that the backside of these townhouses will remain parking lot.  Every space that will remain will be necessary for the owners obligations to Delaware Street properties.  The rendering I saw showed townhouses along 3rd Steet and then south on Wyandotte from 3rd Street up to about 120 feet from 5th Street, (the lot next to Rose Tattoo), where the ownership changes
Btw, wasn't there a plan to turn that property into some sort of an office building with a "car-port" with parking underneath?  Did the economy destroy that plan or is it just stalled, does anyone know?  That lot is a real eye-sore.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New townhouses in River Market have a green design
Developer Tom Trabon is teaming with El Dorado Architects on a modest plan to thaw a cold downtown housing market with affordable townhouses that feature a green design.

The first two of what is expected to be 18 townhomes are being built at Fourth and Wyandotte streets in the River Market on what had been a parking lot. They will range from 1,700 to 2,300 square feet, with one-bedroom units starting at $250,000 and two-bedroom units starting at $350,000.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Greyscale
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Greyscale »

That article mentions market Station, a "323-unit luxury apartment complex that is opening soon at Second and Wyandotte," apparently opening this fall. I couldn't find a thread for this development, but assume there must be one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Greyscale wrote:
That article mentions market Station, a "323-unit luxury apartment complex that is opening soon at Second and Wyandotte," apparently opening this fall. I couldn't find a thread for this development, but assume there must be one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Here you are:

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=9250.0