kcscout.net

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: kcscout.net

Post by GRID »

What's with all the new message boards in the northland showing up on the scout maps?  Are those official scout signs or just temp signs due to the Paseo Bridge?

And for what it's worth KCScout.  It woudl be nice if the web site worked during rush hours.  I can never get the site to work during peak times, you know, when you need it.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

skim82 wrote: Grid I totally agree with you.  I'm embarassed to take out-of-towners over the Paseo Bridge from KCI to JoCo.
Using the Paseo Bridge to get from KCI to Joco takes you out of the way.  Instead of taking I-29 all the way Downtown, exit at US 169 and use the Broadway Bridge.  It's a much better view for visitors, and it's cool when your car gets skimmed by planes landing at the Downtown Airport.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dangerboy wrote: Using the Paseo Bridge to get from KCI to Joco takes you out of the way.  Instead of taking I-29 all the way Downtown, exit at US 169 and use the Broadway Bridge.  It's a much better view for visitors, and it's cool when your car gets skimmed by planes landing at the Downtown Airport.
exactly, 635 sure wouldn't be any more impressive.  Look at the rail yards, the low density and blight of KCK and the river bottoms of Riverside.

I always use Broadway when bringing new people into KC from KCI.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to view the KC Scout ITS website during peak hours, when it’s raining, snowing and when there is a major incident occurring.  Thank you for using KC Scout.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote: Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to view the KC Scout ITS website during peak hours, when it’s raining, snowing and when there is a major incident occurring.  Thank you for using KC Scout.
Exactly the times you need it the most.  Normal rush hours are usually OK for me, but no way can I get in during bad weather.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

FYI, Scout is now operating 24/7/365...
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Check this out... MoDOT is about to start monitoring traffic state-wide via cellular signals.  They are working on a contract for the world's biggest implmentation of a new system that calculates traffic conditions by monitoring the flow of communication between cell phones and towers.  It sounds like a really cool system where the state's contract gets aggregate data from the wireless companies and crunches it into traffic speeds. No messing with cameras or pavement sensors.  It's going to cover virtually the entire state, 5,500+ miles.  Data is supposed to be available to the public in the second half of 2006.

http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,69227,00.html
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

This will track cellular signals, right? People don't need to be on the phone, right? I ask because talking on a cell phone in the car will almost certainly become illegal in the next five to ten years.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

bahua wrote: This will track cellular signals, right? People don't need to be on the phone, right? I ask because talking on a cell phone in the car will almost certainly become illegal in the next five to ten years.
It uses the background communication between the phone and the tower, not actual voice calls.  The two pieces are always communicating back and forth, and speed can be calculated from the changes in time it takes for the phone to "check in" with the tower.
Quay Girl
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Quay Girl »

Fabulous! We'll be able to look at the shitty roads throughout the entire state.

Pothole TV..
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Apparently it will be throughout the whole metro. Today I was driing on 135th and came to Antioch and there were new KC Scout boards up now.
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

There are mini scout boards for each direction around 135th and Metcalf. I assume these are to help direct traffic to or away from 69 highway in the event of a wreck, or something like that.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Apparently it will be throughout the whole metro. Today I was driing on 135th and came to Antioch and there were new KC Scout boards up now.
No, this is Missouri-side only.  Those are just regular Scout message boards, no part of the mobile phone data system.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

How about MO fixes all the crappy roads instead of pouring money into something like this?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

how about missouri stops screwing around and secures dedicated state funding for transit.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Things MO would do before commiting to dedicated transit funding:

-add a new lane to every expressway in the state
-increase gasoline subsidies
-sleep with their sisters
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

During winter weather, the scout site completely locks up.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

OK so scout is 24/7 now.  Question.  I head down to Oklahoma Joes for some healthy dinner.  I see 670 east is closed.  On the way back, are scout signs notifying people of this?  nooooo.  They have one temp. sign at about Cambridge telling people...after it was too late for most passing through.  The huge expensive scout sign right by it is dead.  Why not light up the scout signs before 635 at least so if people are passing through downtown to the north they can reroute?  Instead they have one temporary sign too late and total gridlock on 35 around the CBD loop. 

Makes zero sense to me.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

checking their site it says one is on about this....I didn't see it in the location so maybe they just turned it on.

of course there are about 50 lit up saying a 435 exit will be closed tomorrow....which is fine, why not do that for a current situation?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

When this has happened to me in the past, I've always emailed them using the link on their site. Their responses are usually timely, and polite, even apologetic if they miss something.

They also keep track of every time they turn on a sign, report a major incident, etc., so they can tell you when a message gets displayed. Like anything else, it's a work in progress.