Azul Latin Bistro - 1108 Grand

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
scartva
Strip mall
Strip mall

Azul

Post by scartva »

I'm looking for a unique downtown/rivermarket location for a nice dinner experience for two.  With this in mind I am reaching out for comments on Azul at 11th and Grand.  I would also greatly appreciate other suggestions and/or comments on other potential locations. 

Thanks for your help!!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Azul

Post by DaveKCMO »

unique, yes. the menu has been slimmed down from the initial launch, but everything that remains is well executed and a good bargain (the drinks are not, however). i think they're still down to thursday-saturday dinner only. even though you don't need a reservation, it's best to call ahead and make sure they're open.

we also like the delaware cafe, but the prices there are higher (with appropriately higher food quality). they also have sharper service and a better wine list if that's important to you.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

spiced tenderloin is amazing and I also like the Yuka (sp?) fries.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Azul needs to ditch that location and move to westport. 
scartva
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by scartva »

I'm not really too concerned about price....mainly looking for great food and service.  Sounds like I should find other options other then Azul.  :) 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

If you're not concerned about price, 1924 Main and Le Fou Frog offer really unique dining experiences.

I didn't particularly care for Azul to be honest.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i will second Le Fou Frog and also suggest Lill's on 17th (17th and summit) and Michael Smith (20th and Main). 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Always thought Le Fou Frog was a little overrated.  Not a great location and the atmosphere seemed more like rustic American-Italian than fine dining.  I would second Michael Smiths.  1924 always seems a little hit-or-miss, either amazing or disaster.  I like La Bodega and it might meet the 'unique' request.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chrizow wrote: Azul needs to ditch that location and move to westport. 
I don't know about Westport, but that location is definately terrible.  
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I have enjoyed the food and experience at Azul and I agree that it is a good value for the quality - but they seem to lack a bit of the polish from more professionally run joints - sometimes I am just fine with that, laid back, finer dining can be quite pleasant, but I suspect this is part of what has kept them from catching on stronger.  
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

beautyfromashes wrote: Always thought Le Fou Frog was a little overrated.  Not a great location and the atmosphere seemed more like rustic American-Italian than fine dining.
the location is certainly unique - a gentrifying area linking columbus park to the river market.  but yeah, a bit desolate!  i personally love the atmosphere at LFF - i think of it as an dark, arty dive bar atmosphere (it used to be a dive bar, the red front), with white tablecloths and candles.  to me it's very homey, with amazing food.  to each their own though.  if you go, definitely try one of the fish dishes - the sauces are always creative and out of this world.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KC-wildcat wrote: I don't know about Westport, but that location is definately terrible.  
Well, we can't hope for spin-off development in the loop if we think a spot on the largest Boulevard a block and a half from the Power and Light is "terrible"
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

I would definitely second the recommendations of Le Fou Frog, especially if your a real foodie.  The décor won't knock your socks off, but the food is certain to please.  It's a small, intimate venue.  It's the type of place where you might expect to spend well over an hour, possibly two or more ordering several courses and multiple bottles of wine, and find yourself involved in conversations with your wait-staff and neighbors, feeling that you know the owner upon leaving, whom you have almost certainly spoken with.  It feels more like a no-pressure dinner party than a restaurant.  It has been a gathering place of choice for my family for years.  You will pay for it, though.

I would also second recommendations of Lill's on 17th, just west of summit; keep your eyes peeled, because it looks like just another house.  Also a very intimite feel and great food.  Incidentally, Blue Bird cafe AT 17th and Summit is also quite good, but a little more casual and cheaper.  If it's nice out, the outdoor tables on the street provide a very nice atmosphere for a romantic setting.

1924 main I've only visited once; food was very good, and service was great but the feel was a bit more impersonal. 

Sorry to say I haven't tried Michael Smith's or Delaware cafe yet, though I plan to do so in the near future.  A good friend of mine is sous-chef at Delaware cafe after a couple of years at room 39 which I REALLY like, especially when he was taking care of me.  Can't imagine anything less than the best under his eyes, and I'm sure the exec chef is great too, or he wouldn't have jumped ship for him or her.
   Of course there are several other solid mainstays around greater downtown, the American, Lydia's, Garozzo's--Sky's food is a little less than excellent in my opinion--that are hard to go wrong with, but the feel is more impersonal and detached, in my experience.  This can be fine, especially if you are laser-focused on your date, but they don't bring the little extra of an inclusive atmosphere that I like in a dining experience.  Le Fou Frog and Lill's would be my first choices if price isn't really a worry, with Le Fou Frog slightly preffered.
Last edited by Gretz on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

staubio wrote: Well, we can't hope for spin-off development in the loop if we think a spot on the largest Boulevard a block and a half from the Power and Light is "terrible"
The bottom line is, we're all screwed.  :lol:

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

staubio wrote: Well, we can't hope for spin-off development in the loop if we think a spot on the largest Boulevard a block and a half from the Power and Light is "terrible"
There are still not enough residents, tourists, office workers to sustain the level of bars and restaurants where it's a better location than Midtown. Downtown needs 2X the office workers, 3X the residential, and at least another 2,000 hotel rooms to truly come into its own.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: There are still not enough residents, tourists, office workers to sustain the level of bars and restaurants where it's a better location than Midtown. Downtown needs 2X the office workers, 3X the residential, and at least another 2,000 hotel rooms to truly come into its own.
I've typed this 100 times and I don't think anybody has noticed (or takes it seriously, you know, since I live in Blue Springs).

It's good to see somebody else type it...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Azul Latin Bistro - 1108 Grand

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: I've typed this 100 times and I don't think anybody has noticed (or takes it seriously, you know, since I live in Blue Springs).

It's good to see somebody else type it...
simply saying it doesn't do anything....I think everybody agrees more people downtown (office workers, residents) can only help.....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: simply saying it doesn't do anything....I think everybody agrees more people downtown (office workers, residents) can only help.....
But I don't think people realize how tough it is to make a go of it downtown compared to other parts of town. There are not enough people downtown (again tourists, residents, office workers) to create multiple vibrant corridors and streetlife in the CBD. If our downtown was the size of Des Moines'...potentially yes--we'd be done after our early 2000s run. Places like Azul probably wouldn't be struggling in the least if we get over the hump and continue building on our momentum. The longer the East Village continues to look like the South Loop-- the longer Grand will look Detroitrific and restaurants will be open 3-4 nights a week.

You want to see "grassroots" development vs. TIF...walk north on Grand at night.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Azul's problem isn't the amount of people downtown IMO.  Places fail all over the place everyday in this metro....still has to be quality to survive.

You are going to have to give it longer than 8 months after Sprint opens up and 5 months since the first portion of P&L opens (not to mention better economy) before you see natural growth.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

I might mention that Grand south of the P&L has a couple of new venues opened and a couple of more coming soon, as well as a new club on Walnut.  Grassroots developement IS happening.  We'll see how these places fare.  What is the new place across the street from KC cafe, btw?  I saw them putting up a sign in the window three or four weeks back but can't remember what it was: RED STAR maybe?  There was definitely a star between the two short words.  Anyone know what it is/when it will open?