Studio Restaurant and Bar - new place on Mcgee downtown

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Studio Restaurant and Bar - new place on Mcgee downtown

Post by mean »

Come down Saturday for Studio's first live original rock show!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Coquette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Coquette »

They are really focusing more on the live local music now.  They also put in a couple of pool tables and dart boards.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

And they removed the coffee bar.  I quizzed a bartender a couple of weeks ago and was told that they are still trying to figure out the right formula for the place.  Sounds like they are still struggling to attract a healthy amount of repeat business from Downtown residents.  Like many places, lunch is sustaining them.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The menu could really be so much more and the beer selection is mediocre, but it's a good start. Personally I really like the place, I am down there fairly often and I hope it does well, but there are a couple things I'd like to see happen to really take it to the next level.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

My beefs with this place have been:

-Beer selection is weak and I've twice had beer that tasted "off"
-Smoke from the kitchen infiltrated the space. Smoking smoke tends to linger too.

That said, I like the space and I want these guys to do well. This is a key link for pushing downtown east and these guys were ahead of their time opening up on McGee.

I haven't been back in at least a month. I need to give them another visit.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I really liked Bender's better.
bahua wrote: Once, I was at Bender's, watching mean's band play, and the beertaps promptly broke, so I, being retarded, switched to Gin and Tonic, and drank them just as quickly as I had been drinking the beers I previously had. After about six or seven of these potent, dive-bar-mixed drinks, my memory of the evening fades. What follows is from the mouth of the same friend who years later was shouting out mean's window(and who is now my roommate).

We were sitting on stools at the bar, and were talking about nothing in particular, when a couple of beautiful women came in, and one of them sat on the stool to my left. Almost immediately, I turned to my friend who, by the way, was stone sober, and said, a little too loud, "she's looking at me, isn't she?"

"No, man, she's not looking at you." He gives her an apologetic nod, she obliges with a "that's okay," nod.
"Okay, how about now? Is she looking now!?"
"No, dude. She's not looking." His patience began to wear thin, at this point.
"You can't fucking say that man. I know this fucking chick is fucking looking at me!"
"Fine, John. She's looking at you. Have at it."

Then, sitting in a hunched conspiratorial position, I turned my stool with my legs, without changing my posture, and promptly fell backwards off my stool. Apparently, I was unfazed by this, stood up, sat back down on my stool, and started talking with her. Luckily, she was a really good sport, and very polite.

My memory faded back in, later that night, when I was at home, and I developed the hiccups. My tried and true method for getting rid of them is to time them, and get a gulp of water down my throat right when a hiccup is on the way. Unfortunately, I was hopelessly drunk, and had no sense of time. After about three or four full glasses of water, I vomited spectaularly.

It was a rough night.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i think i only made it to benders once...once or twice...though, my unformed, college town brain was left with an impression of the place (and city) as an exciting, dangerous, urban place.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They are brave for opening up next to bail bond show after bail bond shop....I haven't had the best of service there but I try to go back every once and awhile.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'd go more if they didn't charge a cover at the drop of a hat.  I've already told the story of the guy who was charged a cover to pick up a take-out order.  Another guy I know was asked to pay a cover early on a weekday evening when the sun was still up and there were only about 3 people in the place.  He went to Fred P. Ott's instead.

We sometimes stop in there for a quick meal before going to Zoo, but whenever they want cover we just head on down to Zoo hungry and order Tarantino's delivery.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

scooterj wrote: I've already told the story of the guy who was charged a cover to pick up a take-out order.
I hadn't read that. I would have canceled the order.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Had lunch there yesterday..well done burger..not much to say there..cold wheat beer..that was good..amazing how a beer can bring the food back around..Dont need to really go back.. Interior, confusing design I think it wants to be to many things..
P&L Free since 2008
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

elextendo wrote:Interior, confusing design I think it wants to be to many things..
I can see that. Is it a nice restaurant or a rock bar? It can be both, but it's definitely a balancing act.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mean wrote: I can see that. Is it a nice restaurant or a rock bar? It can be both, but it's definitely a balancing act.
it's definitely not a nice restaurant. i've never been to a show there.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

I was there again last night and had a french dip.  It was alright but I think the bread had been sitting out all day and was pretty stale.

I agree w/ Stretch that they are trying to do too much with the place.  I don't understand why they put the bathrooms in the very center of the place making a bottle neck next to the bar.  It would have made so much more sense to put them against either the south or west walls (behind the stage).  Last night was the first time that I have heard a good band play there.  I didn't catch their name but it was the 2nd of the two Reggae bands.  The only reason I go back is because 1) it is close to my place 2) they have PBR on tap for $2.50.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I don't know if they are trying to do too much, but they do seem desperate to try anything and everything, to see what might work.
Coquette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Coquette »

MightyKC wrote: Last night was the first time that I have heard a good band play there.  I didn't catch their name but it was the 2nd of the two Reggae bands. 
I can't defend the hit or miss food, and I think a center bar would have been a better layout, but you obviously haven't been on a night that Meanie played!

Old Black plays next Thursday. The Throttlers play next Saturday.  Last Call Girls early July...

If you like that kind of music, of course.

The Studio Downtown's Calendar 

Apr 19 2008 9:00P
Black Gasoline/ The Shakerhoods/ Hydrafader
Apr 23 2008 7:00P
DEAD GIRLS RUIN EVERYTHING/ NORTH OF GRAND/ CHAD REX/ THE AWAY TEAM
Apr 24 2008 8:00P
The Old Black/ WAITING FOR SIGNAL/ Vertigo Drive
Apr 25 2008 9:00P
Fear Tomorrow/ Discord/ Black Oblivion
Apr 26 2008 9:00P
The Thottlers/ The Big Iron
Apr 30 2008 7:00P
The Cage Birds/ Blessed Broke/ Holy Mother Exhaust/ Dually Jukes
May 2 2008 9:00P
ALSO RANS/ LOVE TUSK/ KINETIKS
May 3 2008 4:00P
The Dogface Avenger w/ TBA All ages!!
May 3 2008 8:00P
Destination Go/ Baby Birds Don’t Drink Milk
May 7 2008 8:00A
Freshcuts w/TBA?
May 8 2008 9:00P
5 DEFY/ SCIENCE HILL (STL)/ THIS DAY FOREVER (OH)
May 9 2008 9:00P
ATTACK ON URANUS/ KTP/ HOPELESS DISTROYERS
May 10 2008 8:00P
The Rivercity Relevators/ DELOREAN/ Ste. Simone
May 11 2008 4:00P
Kaddisfly (OR) w/tba
May 14 2008 8:00A
A Basement Static w/ TBA?
May 15 2008 8:00P
Lonnie Fisher and the Funeral/ Shand (Austin) w/tba
May 16 2008 8:00A
ODIUS/ CAESURA/ e/tba
May 17 2008 9:00P
The Effects (Tulsa) / Anchondo (Omaha)/ The Belated/ The Noise FM
May 21 2008 9:00P
THE SUNSHINE DISTROYERS w/tba
May 24 2008 5:00P
BLACK OXYGEN/ SANKOFA/ MANCHILD/ All Ages 5-9
May 28 2008 8:00P
Transmission Through Wire/ The Weather/ The Well To Do’s
May 29 2008 8:00P
Streetlight Fight/ Young Livers (my favorite) w/tba
May 30 2008 8:00P
ROBOTS VS. DINOSAURS/ phi:NITE
May 31 2008 9:00P
SLEEPERS (Chicago) / ROCKER LIPS
Jun 6 2008 8:00P
THE INCREDIBLE HEAT MACHINE/ SELECT FIVE/ UNDER THE BLACK SAILS
Jul 12 2008 8:00P
Grace and David’s Party! The Last Call Girls/ The 359s/ The Calamity Cubes
Jul 17 2008 8:00P
Set The Artist Free (FL)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Coquette wrote: I can't defend the hit or miss food, and I think a center bar would have been a better layout, but you obviously haven't been on a night that Meanie played!
I'm just mean these days, hon.  :P
Coquette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Coquette »

Maybe premature, maybe too late, probably not my prerogative to discuss... but anyway! I respect the opinions on this forum, because there is genuine affection and low tolerance for bullshit regarding what makes Kansas City unique.

As with any new establishment, it takes a while to recoup renovation costs, build a customer base, meet operating, stocking, payroll, tax, permit, blah blah blah costs, etc.... Obvious pun aside, they are nearing crossroads...It may be nearing a tipping point, a moment of critical mass, a threshold, a boiling point; a point when everyday things reach epidemic proportions...

So, what's the consensus? Worth keeping open? Any suggestions? Shut down the kitchen, reduce staff and hours, focus on live music and drinking? Promote the reception hall heavily, with kitchen for catering only? Rent space for storage lockers in the basement and scheduled band practices during the day?  Kiss it good-bye and hope the next owner does better?

[/size][/size]
Last edited by Coquette on Sat May 10, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

I'm trying to get out on Friday to see ATTACK ON URANUS!!!  A couple guys from Dead Man Relay (Lead and Drummer) are playing too. Good stuff!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i think studio has (had?) a lot of potential, but it has violated at least three cardinal sins of kansas city nightlife, often simultaneously:

* cover charges, even with there isn't really anything going on (including charging people a cover to pick up their to-go orders?!)
* expensive drinks
* trying to be all things to all people - breakfast, lunch, dinner, beer joint, live music hall, reception space, etc., resulting in no actual "identity." 

i think it is often better to do one or two things, and do them really well.  grinders = art, awesome beer, and good food.  JP = wine and romance.  harry's = country music and a cozy neighborhood vibe.  studio is a nice space and it's clear that the owners have invested a lot of time and money into the business, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of focus or personality, no compelling reason to choose to go there over the other 75 bars within a 2 mile-radius.

that's just my $.02.