Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

Do you support the dress code in the Live! block?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 111

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Post by kcjak »

How many people are being turned away who ARE adhering to the dress code?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote: Do you honestly think Cordish is training their staff to not allow in people of color?  Have people gone completely insane?
Had a conversation with a person on the inside of this issue, my CI with the P&L .  What the deal is Cordish wants to limit the number of minorities into the area.  She didn't share what the number was but when the limit is reached minorities are to be turned away for whatever reason can be found.

:)
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Cordish proposes review board to monitor dress code in Power & Light
The Cordish Co. plans to establish an independent review board to monitor its dress code at the downtown entertainment district, a policy that has drawn renewed criticism in recent weeks.

Zed Smith, director of asset management for Cordish, said today that invitations have been sent to 15 organizations representing various minority groups as well as the business community. Their charge would be to make sure the dress code at the Kansas City Power & Light District is enforced fairly....

Smith said the entertainment district has no plans to change its dress code, saying it meets the guidelines of an ordinance approved by the Kansas City Council last April.

"The issue has been consistency," Smith said. "It's not about changing the dress code, it's set in stone."
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Had a conversation with a person on the inside of this issue, my CI with the P&L .  What the deal is Cordish wants to limit the number of minorities into the area.  She didn't share what the number was but when the limit is reached minorities are to be turned away for whatever reason can be found.

:)
I know you put the smiley face, but did you mean also to put the sarcasm && signs?  Please say you did.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

doc wrote: I know you put the smiley face, but did you mean also to put the sarcasm && signs?  Please say you did.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Pictures of a protest last Saturday:

http://www.kansascity.com/938/gallery/1570364.html

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

doc wrote: I know you put the smiley face, but did you mean also to put the sarcasm && signs?  Please say you did.
It was all in fun.

All of this talk, protests, and lawsuits about dress code is relly getting to be too much.  Maybe it is because the only implied dress code for the places I visit is "No shoes, No shirt, No service".  Of course 99% (my estimate) of businesses do not have a posted dress code so I am safe no matter where I go.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This whole thing is just stupid.  Come on KC grow up...

There are dress codes just like the one at the P&L all over kc and all over the freaking country.  Enough already.  This won't stop till the city finds a way to totally embarrass itself on a national scale will it?

This idea that Coridish is some racist company that teaches their bouncers and security to be racists is just idiotic.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

GRID wrote: This whole thing is just stupid.  Come on KC grow up...

There are dress codes just like the one at the P&L all over kc and all over the freaking country.  Enough already.  This won't stop till the city finds a way to totally embarrass itself on a national scale will it?

This idea that Coridish is some racist company that teaches their bouncers and security to be racists is just idiotic.
+1
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I disagree in the respect they need to make sure it is enforced fairly....ensuring race doesn't keep people out of bars doesn't make us look like 'hicks' no matter what the inferiority complex makes some believe.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

GRID wrote: This idea that Coridish is some racist company that teaches their bouncers and security to be racists is just idiotic.
That is probably very true.  But either discrimination is happening or there is some big plot out there to sink the project.  To use a word that is very popular right now - are these bouncers and security people poorly trained and/or supervised or are they going "ROGUE"?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't think the issue is that Cordish is some evil racist company, its that they have a pretty ambiguous policy that gets arbitrarily enforced by poorly trained personnel who may be slightly racist.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

every club that has these dress codes is to keep out an attitude, not a color....reference all kinds of dance clubs that target the black community...almost exact same rules.

I wouldn't doubt that there are some bad eggs working as bouncers...they are generally pricks anyways.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: every club that has these dress codes is to keep out an attitude, not a color....reference all kinds of dance clubs that target the black community...almost exact same rules.

I wouldn't doubt that there are some bad eggs working as bouncers...they are generally pricks anyways.
That's probably true. And it probably disprorportionately, although not exclusively, affects blacks.

mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

Well I am a black man and I was turned away a while ago at the P&L for wearing a turtle neck sweater, jeans, and a nice pair of boots.  I know a lot of you don't understand what's going on but THIS IS REAL.  To be honest, I don't expect you to understand.  I agree with the woman's rights movement, but I cannot possibly fully understand the problem because I am not in the situation, just as you CANNOT possibly understand how prominent racism still is in America. 

So I don't fault some of the ignorance that I am reading in here.  People are making wise cracks and sarcastic comments about how they don't believe is going on but you have never been a 6ft 2" 215lb black man that hears car doors lock when you walk by.  I am a college grad that probably makes double what the person who thinks that I'm going to rob them makes.  Yet I am the bad guy who sells drugs and robs liquor stores right?

I know people are going to come back and say blah blah blah, but I HAVE SEEN IT!  I've seen white people inside of the P&L that are just as far out of dress code as the minority that they are turning away at the door.  I will admit that it is not nearly as bad as it was when the P&L first opened but it is still there.  And the general minority population still perceives the P&L as being the Power and White district, and perception is reality.

It just upsets me how all of you that aren't in this situation will not just admit it and stand up for what's right and wrong but honesty.... Should I expect more?
Last edited by mister816 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

even though all might not relate specifically to this I think everybody has had the feeling of being unfairly judged or denied based on something they couldn't change or found unfair....pretty sure everybody is good with this dress code being enforced fairly....so your last paragraph seems really out of place?

mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

KCPowercat wrote: even though all might not relate specifically to this I think everybody has had the feeling of being unfairly judged or denied based on something they couldn't change or found unfair....pretty sure everybody is good with this dress code being enforced fairly....so your last paragraph seems really out of place?
no it's not out of place.  I am good with the dress code being enforced fairly... but that is not the case and that's where this all comes from.  This whole issue didn't just spring it's self up out of the ground on it's own.  Hundreds of complaints are what started this.  If hundreds of people were telling you that you were a... let's say crack addict for argument's sake, you can't just say "that's rediculous, Grow up" or "I only smoked crack in an isolated insident .  You would take a step back and dig into why those hundreds of people are calling you a crack addict.  No one here seems to be doing that in my opinion.  I've read back 5 pages and ALL I see is people defending the actions of the cordish company, making sarcastic comments, and not stepping back and trying to understand why hundreds of people are saying the same thing.

Its funny how 3 or 4 boys can call michael jackson a pedophile and america comes crashing down on this man, but a few hundred people claim to be treated unfairly at a public establishment and everyone is like grow up.  I know that they are not nearly the same level but what I'm getting at is, public outcry is public outcry and there has to be some kind of truth behind this.

I'm sure that you have been treated in a way that you may deem unfair along with everyone else in this forum, but not to this extent.  The humiliation and injustice that we feel by getting turned away from something that we helped pay for is far beyond what some others may deem a "big deal"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

so if public funds weren't use to build it, it wouldn't hurt as much?

I admit I am not following what you are trying to say...I think you are getting the wrong impression to what people are saying on this site....I have never once read 'grow up' directed at those who have complained about unfair implementation of a dress code.

mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

GRID wrote: This whole thing is just stupid.  Come on KC grow up...

im2kull wrote: Yet another story..

Power & Light Exec Confronted Over Dress Code
http://www.kmbc.com/news/21530670/detail.html

...and people actually wonder why we're considered a "Cow Town"  :shock:

Two Words: Grow Up.
There u go, now u have....  and if public funds weren't used it wouldn't make it better, but it would take some sting away...  Why are you defending these actions anyway?  do you just not believe they're happening?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mister816 wrote: There u go, now u have....  and if public funds weren't used it wouldn't make it better, but it would take some sting away...  Why are you defending these actions anyway?  do you just not believe they're happening?
Dude, I wouldn't be qouting the wack job who falsely claimed he was black in order to make an argument about the state of race relations as an example of mainstream thought on this forum.