The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

Post by shinatoo »

I got out to take the boy to his mothers and I saw the ever common idiot in a raised 4wheel drive pickup, who doesnt understand how 4wheel drive works, spin out, almost kill someone, and put it in a ditch. I swear it's been every snowstorm for 25 years that ive seen it happen.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Terrible drifting at my house. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I finished shoveling.
There is no fifth destination.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I wish my office would just close today. ATA suspended until 8a.m. I'll already be an hour late.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: ???  I thought they said 8am?
You are right. Bad intel on my part.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

Groundhog came out and shit his pants.  I guess it's going to be a long winter.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Props to the road crews I was amazed how well the downtown streets looked today
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So do retail and restaurants close really for employee safety or simply to save costs when they think they wont be busy?

I've believed, perhaps naively, that it was all for employee safety.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: So do retail and restaurants close really for employee safety or simply to save costs when they think they wont be busy?

I've believed, perhaps naively, that it was all for employee safety.
i dont know the reasoning, but i was kind of surprised to see most (all?) of the plaza shops and restaurants close on tuesday and most were still closed wednesday. even barnes and noble was closed - i dont think i've ever seen that place closed during normal business hours. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

A report from the deep south.

http://www.chron.com/

Freezing drizzle in Houston overnight.  Hundreds of accidents this morning and all of the toll roads and several highways are closed as of now with many business's shut down.  This would be a minor inconvenience to KC but it shut down the entire city.  Continental has also cancelled most of their flights in/out of Houston.  Just with the prediction, business's (including mine; although we are expected to work from home rather than fiddle around on internet forums) starting shutting down late yesterday and remain closed today.  It's been frigid for three straight days here now.  

Some pictures from the Chronicle.  A few photos down is a great example of a Houston highway with parallel mini-highways.  http://blogs.chron.com/newswatch/2011/0 ... _medi.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

OH NO! I have frozen water on my car! Please shut down the entire city, okay?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Chriz....the reason I bring it up is the mixx responded on twitter to staubio and myself that they closed downtown due to "cost/benefit of hours".  I guess I appreciate their honesty but seems employee safety was furthest from their minds.

Not to mention LOL at them thinking the cost of being open 3 hours was too great to absorb.

I fully understand businesses closing during extreme weather but safety comes way ahead of "we will be slow" in my mind.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Just wondering.  Haven't seen any pictures of what the streets and sidewalks look like in the downtown area after this latest storm.  One year, I think 1979, the city had to contract with highloaders and dump trucks to haul out all of the snow.  Is it that bad?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kcmo sent an email out saying they were hauling snow out of downtown today.

Sidewalks and roads have been great....very impressed with the city and individual property owners.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Kcmo sent an email out saying they were hauling snow out of downtown today.

Sidewalks and roads have been great....very impressed with the city and individual property owners.
The sidewalks are terrible again. I walked from 13th and Main to Westside Local tonight and had to walk on the street nearly the entire time. I later walked down Broadway for a few block and had the same predicament. I think that property owners in the CBD might be complying for the most part, but as soon as you attempt to leave the Loop it reverts back to car centric KC pedestrian unfriendliness.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I noticed when I drove by tonight that the Walgreens at Hardesty and Independence Avenue didn't have the sidewalks cleaned off still.  I would think that a business that depended on lots of old people would clean off the sidewalks--especially since the bus stops right outside their building.
There is no fifth destination.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Just wondering.  Haven't seen any pictures of what the streets and sidewalks look like in the downtown area after this latest storm.  One year, I think 1979, the city had to contract with highloaders and dump trucks to haul out all of the snow.  Is it that bad?

Yep, they've been doing that.  Friday night I saw several dump trucks hauling snow away.    There were huge piles of snow in the government district Friday that were being loaded up, many were gone by Saturday night.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

smh wrote: The sidewalks are terrible again. I walked from 13th and Main to Westside Local tonight and had to walk on the street nearly the entire time. I later walked down Broadway for a few block and had the same predicament. I think that property owners in the CBD might be complying for the most part, but as soon as you attempt to leave the Loop it reverts back to car centric KC pedestrian unfriendliness.
I noticed that last night too.  Inside the CBD --- except for parts of Broadway -- the sidewalks were in great shape.  In the Crossroads, however, every parking lot's snow was piled up at the ends of the sidewalks.  Some of the sidewalks themselves were cleared, but the cleared parts were inaccessible due to the snow piles at each parking lot.    Had to walk almost entirely in the street on Main and Baltimore south of Truman, same with 16th and 17th. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Email the business if possible....problem is all the surface lots in crossroads I'm guessing....hard to pressure those landowners

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Email the business if possible....problem is all the surface lots in crossroads I'm guessing....hard to pressure those landowners
Citations.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Not to rub it in, but it was in the low 70's on Sunday in Oakland CA where I live now.