Transportation topics in KC
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by JLowe2018 »

hartliss wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Well the business session was entertaining

If the council is so damn worried about timing and competing interest, why don't they settle on what the GO bond is going to do and when the vote is going to happen...?

Loar/hall....as soon as I get to vote on every northland water and sewer replacement and addition we can start saying the streetcar is costing the entire city due to replacing 150+ year old infrastructure.... And responding "whatever" was pure class Loar.
LOL, yes that was very entertaining. Hall "why are we doing streetcars again when we had them along time ago"

If anyone needs Northland comedic relief, look no further than the Twin Creeks development!!
As a Northlander and part time Twin Creeks resident I can say she doesn't represent the opinions of all of us. [-X
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Writing them and personalizing it to include what they said you find ridiculous as someone who is represented by them would help.
cubsmike33
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cubsmike33 »

Any rundown for those of us who weren't able to attend? When does the video get posted to http://kansascity.granicus.com/ViewPubl ... ?view_id=2?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

cubsmike33 wrote:Any rundown for those of us who weren't able to attend? When does the video get posted to http://kansascity.granicus.com/ViewPubl ... ?view_id=2?
it might be posted today. usually takes a day or two.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

JLowe2018 wrote:
As a Northlander and part time Twin Creeks resident I can say she doesn't represent the opinions of all of us. [-X
Sorry JLowe, didn't mean to offend! I know I am stereotyping the whole area.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

hartliss wrote:
JLowe2018 wrote:
Sorry JLowe, didn't mean to offend! I know I am stereotyping the whole area.
None taken! And what can I say...stereotypes do exist for a reason though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

streetcar expansion poll from the northland news: http://thenorthlandnews.com/claycominds ... ign=buffer
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I like how the Northland lady tried to say that they are paying for part of the streetcar, was quickly rebuffed by the City Manager and the presenter and her response was, "Whatever!"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah. Loar... Pure class.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:I like how the Northland lady tried to say that they are paying for part of the streetcar, was quickly rebuffed by the City Manager and the presenter and her response was, "Whatever!"
Except she's right.

You can prove it with the city budget. The council approved the budget so Loar should know what's in it.
https://data.kcmo.org/Budget/FY-2016-17 ... /jkcu-25gm

the streetcar is getting money from the capital improvements fund (page 238) and PIAC funding (page 299).

Piac is general funds (see page 321)

So the entire city is literally helping pay for the streetcar
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

flyingember wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:I like how the Northland lady tried to say that they are paying for part of the streetcar, was quickly rebuffed by the City Manager and the presenter and her response was, "Whatever!"
Except she's right.

You can prove it with the city budget. The council approved the budget so Loar should know what's in it.

the streetcar is getting money from the capital improvements fund (page 238) and PIAC funding (page 299).

She was talking about the sewers being replaced, though. She said "whatever" to the notion that those sewers needed to replaced regardless of the streetcar and they probably saved money by doing them at the same time.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's not what the discussion was about. She tried to pin sewer replacement costs to the streetcar. It was sad.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

flyingember wrote:

I am confused though as page vi, clearly states:

Finally, the KC Streetcar will kick off this spring around the time this budget is adopted. The
Submitted Budget fully incorporates the operations and debt service of the streetcar program into
one comprehensive program of $9.2 million annually. The Submitted Budget adds three new
parking control officers for the streetcar line parking enforcement. It again should be noted that
the Streetcar is fully funded by its Transportation Development District (TDD). It receives no
General Fund support from the City.

Is it just clever wordsmithing?

Personally, whether she is right or not, the way she handled herself was unprofessional. She did this quite often through the single-terminal airport hearings.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's $9.2 million that is fully funded by the TDD. So that's accurate. But the city's streetcar budget is $10.7 million.
It's not wordsmithingthey just don't mention where the rest of the money is from on that page

Phase 2 is a separate budget item from that and those studies are at least partially funded with general funds. And it's $500k so that can't explain the entire $1.5 million
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

flyingember wrote:There's $9.2 million that is fully funded by the TDD. So that's accurate. But the city's streetcar budget is $10.7 million.
It's not wordsmithingthey just don't mention where the rest of the money is from on that page

Phase 2 is a separate budget item from that and those studies are at least partially funded with general funds. And it's $500k so that can't explain the entire $1.5 million
Ok, makes sense. That initial paragraph reads as if there are no general funds being used.

I get her point, every dollar that goes into the budget needs to tie to some fund and those impacted should at least be made aware. However, it would be silly to paint the picture of "those who don't use it are still paying for it are somehow the victims in all of this".....there are a lot of PIAC projects that get my money that I don't use (i.e. Zona Rosa, etc).
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Increases in property tax and sales tax in any part of the city benefits the whole city.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I have no problems with the financing methods used. And the streetcar budget isn't purposefully hiding anything.

I have issues with the budget as a whole. There's no way to track tax dollars paid through to a project.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

flyingember wrote:I have no problems with the financing methods used. And the streetcar budget isn't purposefully hiding anything.

I have issues with the budget as a whole. There's no way to track tax dollars paid through to a project.
=D>
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

flyingember wrote:I have no problems with the financing methods used. And the streetcar budget isn't purposefully hiding anything.

Yes and no. Much depends on how a project is treated in the budget. If there is an individual fund for an one-time project or an on-going program then one can trace the sources for the money coming in and how the money is being spent but only in broad terms. Sometimes though a project or program may not be identified as such with funds being spent on different items within a project or program. As an example there may be a street widening program and money for that street comes from one source. Water line and sewer line replacement may also be part of the street widening but those expenditures come from different funds. All three items in the project may not be identified as one project or even broken out in the budget. The project may only be found in the supporting documents of the individual funds.

It can be confusing. Going through the budget is not for a novice.