Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I can't wait to watch Powercat go to his first game in the shiny new Crossroads stadium. Oh that'll be the day.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Sani wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:26 pm Remind me again, is part of the Crossroads proposal extending the I-670 cap east of Grand to Oak Street? If not, would it make sense to build a garage in that space that the new stadium and T-Mobile Center could share, kind of like the ABC Ramps in Minneapolis over I-394 by Target Field and the Target Center?
I was at Target Field this summer. I parked in one of these ramps and didn't even know I was parking over the highway until I went back and checked after reading your post. It's pretty seamless. Would be great if KC could do the same.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9815358 ... ?entry=ttu
glacier890
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by glacier890 »

Random question, what was there before the glass KC Star building? Was it just an empty lot?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:45 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:14 pm The east crossroads site empty lots proponents point to will fill in way more naturally with an EV stadium location 1500 feet to its north. Seems like a ein win for all and eliminated the need to tear down existing functional businesses for a stadium and it's accessories like parking garages.
Most of these buildings we're talking about in East Crossroads will be torn down at some point anyway. If a stadium goes into East Village and it somehow helps increase the rate of development in East Crossroads, we will end up with the same result of torn down buildings, lots purchased by developers and larger, taller, more modern buildings going up in their place. Specifically the block furthest north. This process has already begun. It might take longer, but the odds that most of these older buildings will remain much longer is slim.

A stadium in EV vs EC would not be a win in the eyes of the Royals, City, Urban Planners (hired to consult) or for baseball fans. It would always be second place but second place still beats the socks off TSC.

I'm repeating myself, but if EV was such a great location, why would the city be pushing for East Crossroads? Why would the Royals want to make anything harder for themselves when they're already facing some "keep the K' pushback?

It seems like you're wanting both areas to prosper, which I do as well. I think baseball in EC and more housing in EV is the ideal scenario, but understand you don't agree.
I don't know. I have guesses. Guess we will see once the site is announced if crossroads is picked.

I disagree crossroads buildings will be demoed with an EV stadium. My evidence is that hasn't happened so far with pnl and T-Mobile. Those surrounds got renovated and reactivated not removed
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:43 pm I'd love for more housing, but that's not what the developers or the city have been chasing. It's all been about some big project that would have housing as ancillary support -- Federal Reserve, JE Dunn HQ, GSA, Royals.
All but the stadium are a block at most. How would they hold up the entire east side of the loop?

The city needs to push harder to get the EV developed. And for the love of god, can we call it something other than a village. At least not till it's actually a "village".

East Loop! Let it develop. For it to be developed. That area of downtown desperately needs to be blanked with residential. Not in one or two towers next to a stadium, but the entire thing. Even if they are five over ones. It's fine. Filling that area with residential will be better for the East "Village" than a stadium and a bleacher's bar and grill.

I still have hope that KC stadium architects can come up with something that has not been done and design a ballpark that truly interacts with the surrounding crossroads district. Parking is not an issue. Parking can be built east of the arena and maybe in another empty lot east of the stadium.

If KC is such a slow growth city that a crossroads stadium is going to do nothing but produce parking lots AND east "loop" will remain empty. Then why in the fuck even move the stadium downtown? It's pointless.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

glacier890 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:59 pm Random question, what was there before the glass KC Star building? Was it just an empty lot?
Same shit that's in the rest of the east crossroads. 80% parking and a few little barely used low rise industrial buildings.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:54 pm I can't wait to watch Powercat go to his first game in the shiny new Crossroads stadium. Oh that'll be the day.

You know nothing about me if you think this is a dig on my approach to downtown.

I shoot for what I think is the best and that rarely happens down here and I fully embrace making whatever the decision is and work to make it the best for can be.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Was "urbabroo" even born when kcp made this site?

I've said I'm okay with getting rid of the star. What I'm not okay with is what is "proposed" now. I feel like people are missing the forest for the trees.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:53 pm
Sani wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:26 pm Remind me again, is part of the Crossroads proposal extending the I-670 cap east of Grand to Oak Street? If not, would it make sense to build a garage in that space that the new stadium and T-Mobile Center could share, kind of like the ABC Ramps in Minneapolis over I-394 by Target Field and the Target Center?
Yeah or on one of the freaking two dozen blocks east of the arena that are either surface lots or will be soon. The jail will go way. The MO state building is literally falling down and needs to go away.

Other than the long lines building and the two little buildings on 13th (holiday in or whatever) that entire area is a wasteland.

If you put a stadium in ECR, you could build ALL THE PARKING YOU WILL EVER NEED right there east of the arena and it would serve the stadium, the arena, the p&L district and even take parking needs away from what ever is built in EV. And you could build residential and hotel towers on top of it.

And the area east of the arena would STILL be 3/4 empty. Why would parking be needed anywhere else.

This parking stuff in KC is just beyond comprehendible. I mean KC is fucking nothing but parking, so much parking that 80% of it is not even used and it's still the only freaking thing anybody talks about.

But you probably won't need to. There is so much parking. Why in the world would you need more than maybe one smallish garage near the stadium? Unless the new stadium is going to average 120,000 people a game, this is a non issue.

I swear to god, The first words people in KC learn are "park" or "parking". The first phrase is "where do you park".

It should be. Why in the fuck is there so much parking everywhere and over half of it is empty at any given time?
I agree we're looking at maybe one parking garage built by the Royals as part of the project.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:18 pm Was "urbabroo" even born when kcp made this site?

I've said I'm okay with getting rid of the star. What I'm not okay with is what is "proposed" now. I feel like people are missing the forest for the trees.
I just think we are looking at this from two opposite perspectives. Your concerns are valid, but I think building the stadium in EV does exactly what you think building in EC will do. It will be a stadium only for years, surrounded by surface parking while the area in East Crossroads slowly develops as Cordish buys up all the property adjacent to the freeway and future park. You'll end up with a subpar baseball stadium and game day experience, no dramatic increase in overall downtown development and a double that should have been a homer.

Crossroads is where the stadium is going as of today. This in my opinion is the best option and I have no doubt you'll see some action in East Village over the next few years as well.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:08 pm
glacier890 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:59 pm Random question, what was there before the glass KC Star building? Was it just an empty lot?
Same shit that's in the rest of the east crossroads. 80% parking and a few little barely used low rise industrial buildings.
I'm pretty sure there was a taller building there that got demolished, maybe a 7-10 story building? Can't remember exactly.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Someone shared a photo that happens to include the area from before the Star Building, T-Mobile, or P+L on the last page of this discussion.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KC_Ari wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:35 pm
Someone shared a photo that happens to include the area from before the Star Building, T-Mobile, or P+L on the last page of this discussion.
Looks like 10 buildings had to be torn down for the star site.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:10 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:18 pm Was "urbabroo" even born when kcp made this site?

I just think we are looking at this from two opposite perspectives. Your concerns are valid, but I think building the stadium in EV does exactly what you think building in EC will do. It will be a stadium only for years, surrounded by surface parking while the area in East Crossroads slowly develops as Cordish buys up all the property adjacent to the freeway and future park. You'll end up with a subpar baseball stadium and game day experience, no dramatic increase in overall downtown development and a double that should have been a homer.

Crossroads is where the stadium is going as of today. This in my opinion is the best option and I have no doubt you'll see some action in East Village over the next few years as well.
But in ev the land is banked. The royals claim they are going to develop it and they can do it with very little bureaucracy.

Cordish owns multiple lots close, with varying levels of grandfathered incentives not available to other properties.

Not only do they have no incentive to buy the lots and develop them, it would actively hurt their development schedule of building one building and leasing it out until starting the next.

Cordish wants this to protect their building schedule, the star owner wants it to get out of a bad investment, and a crossroads property owner wants it to cash out.

And the royals want it to get out of their promised development.

It's not good for downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I guess Resurrection just finished a big capital campaign for the downtown campus expansion and now intends to sell. How does that play for donors?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:19 pm I guess Resurrection just finished a big capital campaign for the downtown campus expansion and now intends to sell. How does that play for donors?
A church doing shady donations? Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

In a city scarred by tear downs, we're advocating tearing down more existing buildings? I'd love to see breakdown of every baseball stadium in the country with surface/structured parking highlighted in the surrounds. I'd bet any proposed garage in EC would be convention center size. See the parking garage referenced in this very thread around Target Field or the garages and surface lots around Coors, Progressive, PNC, and Petco. I guess all of that land is too valuable to develop?

IMO, EV is the best location for this type of development. We can't deny the effort to plop a stadium in EC has little precedent. So this is very much an experiment in stadium location. I don't want large parking garages and surface lots, which the Royals presumably want for revenue, replacing the already built environment in EC. This type of development would be best suited in EV, where being near a highway and transit center would better serve this type of development not hurt it.

In EC I want MORE of the buildings that so many are fine losing. If all of Crossroads had these suggested no value buildings on every surface lot, we'd be talking about a dense, vibrant neighborhood.

Questions about EC: How will the Royals pull in concession revenue if the hope is that people are frequenting P&L and its garages before and after games? Is the city and Cordish proposing some type of revenue sharing agreement? How much land around the stadium would the Royals need to own to make this a financial win for the Franchise?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:33 pm In a city scarred by tear downs, we're advocating tearing down more existing buildings? I'd love to see breakdown of every baseball stadium in the country with surface/structured parking highlighted in the surrounds. I'd bet any proposed garage in EC would be convention center size. See the parking garage referenced in this very thread around Target Field or the garages and surface lots around Coors, Progressive, PNC, and Petco. I guess all of that land is too valuable to develop?

IMO, EV is the best location for this type of development. We can't deny the effort to plop a stadium in EC has little precedent. So this is very much an experiment in stadium location. I don't want large parking garages and surface lots, which the Royals presumably want for revenue, replacing the already built environment in EC. This type of development would be best suited in EV, where being near a highway and transit center would better serve this type of development not hurt it.

In EC I want MORE of the buildings that so many are fine losing. If all of Crossroads had these suggested no value buildings on every surface lot, we'd be talking about a dense, vibrant neighborhood.

Questions about EC: How will the Royals pull in concession revenue if the hope is that people are frequenting P&L and its garages before and after games? Is the city and Cordish proposing some type of revenue sharing agreement? How much land around the stadium would the Royals need to own to make this a financial win for the Franchise?
The MSP garage predates the stadium by decades.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:08 pm
That's straight up a lie

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:33 pm In a city scarred by tear downs, we're advocating tearing down more existing buildings? I'd love to see breakdown of every baseball stadium in the country with surface/structured parking highlighted in the surrounds. I'd bet any proposed garage in EC would be convention center size. See the parking garage referenced in this very thread around Target Field or the garages and surface lots around Coors, Progressive, PNC, and Petco. I guess all of that land is too valuable to develop?

If you don't want large parking garages and surface lots, than East Village isn't the answer. There's so much vacant room, of course they'll build a large parking garage and keep the existing surface lots. East Crossroads will require much more thought and scalpel like design to work around some existing infrastructure. New buildings and structures can blend in and co-exist with older buildings creating a much more interesting development while also feeling like it's been here longer than it has.

There are several properties that are prime candidates to be purchased. Look at the lot where Herc Rentals sits currently for example. That's a 2 acre lot and I don't think anyone would advocate to keep this business here unless you think boom lifts are a great look for the urban core. They'll have no problem taking a pay day and moving to north kc.

As for your questions, the Royals are near the bottom of the league in concession sales already so I don't think they're looking to lean into that side of the business as a big revenue jump. I think they see rental income as the biggest opportunity along with other modifications to the deal with Jackson County.