OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/kc ... 53722.html
“The city currently has no basis upon which to oppose the creation of the proposed district.”
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Email sent!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Done.... Modified first paragraph a bit to describe why personally it is best to maximize the investment I've already made.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Sent
mykn

Post by mykn »

Sent a few weeks ago!

Edit: although I individually emailed just my councilwomen, should I do this too?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mykn wrote:Sent a few weeks ago!

Edit: although I individually emailed just my councilwomen, should I do this too?
nah, one of those two is the main problem. you're good! ;-)
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Until we fill all the empty Plaza store fronts, let's not discuss building more retail spots there.

A transit complex and CVS combo would make that area more like 39th and Broadway...and nobody wants they. A crummy development like that might be the final damage to push the Plaza into decline.

The tennis courts give that end of the Plaza an upper-crust country club feel. I think that's how it should feel. No where else in the city feels like that, at least not in a old-money classic way.

Don't ruin what works
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Midtownkid wrote:... The tennis courts give that end of the Plaza an upper-crust country club feel. I think that's how it should feel. No where else in the city feels like that, at least not in a old-money classic way.
Let's put the count back in country club.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Remove the tennis courts, and then the Country Club Plaza will have nothing to do with a Country Club or Plaza.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote:Until we fill all the empty Plaza store fronts, let's not discuss building more retail spots there.
we'll continue discussing it because it's a good idea that would better connect the plaza to it's surroundings.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCRTA will present the extension proposal to the council during business session this thursday.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Midtownkid wrote:Until we fill all the empty Plaza store fronts, let's not discuss building more retail spots there.
we'll continue discussing it because it's a good idea that would better connect the plaza to it's surroundings.
A great urban design depends on "white space" as much as anything.

The continuous linear park is a basic of park design to the point we see it everywhere in the US. Boston replaced a freeway with one, NYC put one on the high line. It's why KC built a series of parkways across the city. Cutting any linear park space up should never be considered.

The park space is the surroundings the plaza is connected to today. It's a continuous low stress boundary between the major N-S route and the plaza shops. If anything it needs to be better connected to its surroundings but being low use isn't detremental to the Plaza a sa shopping center.

It's not like the plaza needs help with demand or with getting people to walk around.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So what was the deal with Quinton's response to all the emails he has been getting saying the council doesn't have a role at this point?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

While you don't technically need the city, you probably wouldn't want them to be against you. Shit's hard enough.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

grovester wrote:While you don't technically need the city, you probably wouldn't want them to be against you. Shit's hard enough.
Exactly. Understand how TDD works but having the council behind it and not taking a "ehhh, we got nothing to do with that" attitude.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they're over-sensitive to the GO bond proposal slated for the april ballot -- which they have yet to fully scope and share with voters -- even though that's a citywide vote and streetcar is basically a 4th district public works project.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well the business session was entertaining

If the council is so damn worried about timing and competing interest, why don't they settle on what the GO bond is going to do and when the vote is going to happen...?

Loar/hall....as soon as I get to vote on every northland water and sewer replacement and addition we can start saying the streetcar is costing the entire city due to replacing 150+ year old infrastructure.... And responding "whatever" was pure class Loar.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCPowercat wrote:Well the business session was entertaining

If the council is so damn worried about timing and competing interest, why don't they settle on what the GO bond is going to do and when the vote is going to happen...?

Loar/hall....as soon as I get to vote on every northland water and sewer replacement and addition we can start saying the streetcar is costing the entire city due to replacing 150+ year old infrastructure.... And responding "whatever" was pure class Loar.
LOL, yes that was very entertaining. Hall "why are we doing streetcars again when we had them along time ago"

If anyone needs Northland comedic relief, look no further than the Twin Creeks development!!