Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by bbqboy »

flyingember wrote:
earthling wrote:or even Katz/NYC (kosher style deli) in Westport
there's no market for a kosher deli in KC. A place that's similar, perhaps, but Kosher? won't work.
the closest thing to a Kosher deli that KC had was the subway next to Children's Mercy South/The Convention Center. But they started carrying cheese a while back.

we like cheese on our sandwich in KC
you're too young to remember New York Deli?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I've found out who is doing the deli portion at the old America's Pub spot. They're legit. and it's definitely not kosher.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:^I was careful to say kosher 'style', which isn't traditional kosher. It's an actual separate classification that has a little more mass apeal...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_style

Katz isn't traditional kosher either. If Westport can support a Moroccan restaurant (and it does), it can support a non-trad kosher 'style' place similar to Katz.
this I would agree with. a quasi-kosher deli is fine.

If a businesses' goal is to be truely Kosher it's fine, but if not, that's purposefully limiting ones business scope

How many people do you think live in KC that aren't Jewish and don't add dairy to their cold cut sandwitch?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

you're too young to remember New York Deli?
did they have suburban northland locations?
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I know some folks who are considering a non-Jewish, Jewish-style deli, but I have no idea on a timetable or on how firm the plan is. They have met with the folks who owned the New York Deli to get some advice.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I'm Jewish and would love a Jewish style deli for the add ons - blintzes, kreplach, bagels, kugel, chopped liver, matza ball soup, etc.

I've been to plenty in different cities - and have never seen an actual Kosher deli that didn't offer dairy/meat together.

However, you can still get a quality deli sandwich in this town - Corrolla's, D'Bronx and La Sala's are all pretty damn good. C
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Joyce at The Star points out most of the new Westport places. I posted my usual spiel...

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/26/44 ... rants.html
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

"Baked in Kansas City" disappoints me as I was reserving the "Baked in..." name for a line of cannabis shops I was going to open around the country once cannabis was legalized.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The cigarette makers already have you beat. They are licking their chops for that to happen.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... ing-dinner

the corner restaurant has already stopped serving dinner.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I hope that doesn't portend doom. That spot really needs a tenant.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

How First World of them. Jesus. I've been to Morroco. Italy is the only place on earth that smells worse.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

I went twice early on. Great food. Unbearable odor. Refused to go back. I hope he is able to reopen. I would be a lunch regular if he stays in Westport.

I really like his old location, but that building is forever doomed. I never see anyone going into the rug shop. How do they survive? I bet some (or most?) of those rugs have been lingering in there for 20+ years, without a buyer.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

slimwhitman wrote:
I never see anyone going into the rug shop. How do they survive? I bet some (or most?) of those rugs have been lingering in there for 20+ years, without a buyer.
Its probably a front for some illegal operation. Walter White could thrive at that rug location
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

That rug store is the worst thing about Westport, especially now with the old Streetside location getting back to life.

Last weekend I was craving late-night Mexican and with Cancun Fiesta Fresh closed we decided to hit up the Street Fare truck behind Harry's for a torta. That truck was gone, but Marrakech Cafe truck was parked in the spot instead (also closed that day).
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax wrote:The troubling trend continues. I thought Westport was getting a lot safer, and maybe these are just isolated incidents, but the perception has to be damaged a bit I would think.

Woman shot in robbery outside midtown Kansas City pizza shop
Armed robbers shot a woman outside a midtown Kansas City pizza shop early Wednesday and fled with purses as the restaurant manager fired at them.

The women were outside Santora’s Pizza at 3834 Main Street about 2 a.m. when two men approached them, said Sgt. Marisa Barnes, a spokeswoman for the Kansas City Police Department.
One person stabbed at 39th and Main
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

slimwhitman wrote:
I went twice early on. Great food. Unbearable odor. Refused to go back. I hope he is able to reopen. I would be a lunch regular if he stays in Westport.

I really like his old location, but that building is forever doomed. I never see anyone going into the rug shop. How do they survive? I bet some (or most?) of those rugs have been lingering in there for 20+ years, without a buyer.
they own the building. the equation changes when you're the one renting out space
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Blockbuster on Westport Rd/SW Trafficway has going out of business signs up.