Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Downtown KC will be a "real" cultural hotspot with Bass Pro...a place were rednecks, hicks, hillbillies and other hunting enthusiast can mingle with the artists, musicians, alternative lifestyle seekers and other urban dwellers. Piss on Bass Pro, put it near the Sports Complex.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCN »

:roll:
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by mean »

QueSi2Opie wrote:Downtown KC will be a "real" cultural hotspot with Bass Pro...a place were rednecks, hicks, hillbillies and other hunting enthusiast can mingle with the artists, musicians, alternative lifestyle seekers and other urban dwellers. Piss on Bass Pro, put it near the Sports Complex.
Inflammatory, but I agree in principle. Bass Pro? Urban life? WTF ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING? Hey, I know, let's put it right next to the Dixie Belle. :roll:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCPowercat »

sounds like Bass Pro is dead downtown....I guess I'm happy about it, I just want something to start in the SoLo area.

Cordish has been downgraded to a consultant on the project as well.....the GDDA will take the lead...not sure if I like that move either, but at least Cordish, who has a national rep. is still in the plans.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCgridlock

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCgridlock »

Bass Pro will go either to Blue Ridge Mall or to (eastland) Independence. It only makes scence from a marketing standpoint for many reasons.

And that is good. Downtown can do better.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by dangerboy »

KCgridlock wrote:Bass Pro will go either to Blue Ridge Mall or to (eastland) Independence. It only makes scence from a marketing standpoint for many reasons.

And that is good. Downtown can do better.
How will those sites compete with the Olathe, KS site that will most likely offer STAR bonds and any other possible incentive? MODESA is the only thing we have that would come close to STAR bonds, but it is limited to downtown or Main Street areas.
KCgridlock

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCgridlock »

Bass Pro will still get tax breaks, Cabella's is already in KS and Bass Pro will want to capture the east side of the metro. Bass pro will want to be at the gateway to the lakes in mid Missouri and it would also be close to a ton of lakes in eastern Jackson County. I don’t see the massive lake traffic on I-35 that I do on US-71, US-50 and I-70 ;). It will blend into the rolling forests out there too. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong, but that's my guess. Or move to a strip mall on flat barren land with no drive by tourists or lakes nearby in Olathe?

On the bus this morning I looked at the land that Bass Pro might build on. It's on the SW corner of 70 & 470. Extremely rough, hilly and beautiful land. Much like south county in StL. Would be a perfect place for Bass Pro to build something that would blend into that site rather than have a commercial site come in and completely destroy it which will happen eventually anyway.

I just think it's a better fit and would think that bass pro is smart enough to realize that.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by dangerboy »

If it goes to that spot I sure hope it gets built into the landscape better than Eastland. They bulldozed the entire landscape there, tearing out many trees and leveling the limestone cliffs.

While I still think Bannister or Blue Ridge would be the best places for maximum regional benefit, I'm sad to say Olathe will probably win this one. Johnson County and the entire state seem to be united behind that site, whereas Jackson County is typically divided and diluting its influence by pushing multiple sites and cutting separate deals for state incentives.
KCgridlock

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCgridlock »

Your are right about Eastland, that's why I hope Bass Pro can save the SW corner from the save fate as the SE coner suffered, that is if they don't go to redevelop Blue Ridge or Bannister which I don't see happening.

Eastern Jack has come together for this site though as a rep from Lee’s Summit has already sponsored a bill for state assistance for the site.

The amendment allows any city between 113,200 and 113,300 inhabitants to create a satellite enterprise zone "along the southwest corner of any intersection of two United States interstate highways." That would be the SW corner of 470 & 70.

I have heard many rumors that they want to go there and that is why that site is coming together. Compared to Olathe, the site is more visible, has more drive by tourists, is along two busy interstate highways, is in a better natural setting, is far from Cabella’s yet has several hundred thousand people within a ten mile radius, is near lots of lakes, is at the gateway to the mid Missouri lakes. Star Bonds or not, I think they will go east. ;).
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by dangerboy »

The Examiner has been reporting that Blue Springs is pushing Adams Dairy Parkway as a site for Bass Pro. That makes 5 Jackson County sites (Downtown, Bannister, Blue Ridge, Independence, and Blue Springs). It would be nice if the entire county united around one or two sites. Hell, it would be fantastic if the entire metro area came to a consensus on a single location to offer incentives for Bass Pro.

Plus, I'm skeptical that the I-70/291 site can handle the traffic. That whole area is already a clusterf*ck of poor transportation/land-use planning, and Bass Pro would make it much worse.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by trailerkid »

How about this....

The entire metro ignore Bass Pro because, guess what, they'll build a store in KC REGARDLESS!!!!!

Bass Pro wants in the KC market because they'll make money. How does it help the metro to give free land and tax breaks to a company that will locate in KC with no incentives? It's capitalism run amok.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCPowercat »

oh the hells of living on a state line...companies can play states off each other all day.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote:How about this....

The entire metro ignore Bass Pro because, guess what, they'll build a store in KC REGARDLESS!!!!!

Bass Pro wants in the KC market because they'll make money. How does it help the metro to give free land and tax breaks to a company that will locate in KC with no incentives? It's capitalism run amok.
Excellent point. We can't we all agree not to compete with tax incentives and instead let the decision be based on the merits of the site?? Oh wait, because Joco rejects the idea of an incentive disarmament treaty.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCPowercat »

From the latest business journal, doesn't sound like we have to worry about this any more...

now to get a suitable lead tenant to bring everybody else in....I vote for an ESPNzone or House of Blues.

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by tat2kc »

i vote for house of blues in the Empire Theatre.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by Good2Great »

WWE Theme Restaurant!
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I'm gettin' sick of hearin' about Bass Pro! The Kansas City Metro doesn't need them! Let them build on the Wichita Riverfront instead!
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCgridlock

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCgridlock »

I'm sick and tired of the most action "SoLo" getting is on this forum and not for real.

Where the Flip is Barnes, lets get this moving along.

If people had as much passion about our city as they do trying to stop the next suburban Walmart (Blue Springs, OP) then we would have a vibrant entertainment district downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCPowercat »

I bet SoLo is being held up until arena finacing can be figured out...I remember hearing something about those 2 going hand in hand.

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Yeah but there's no guarantee this arena thing will ever fly. I realize they are trying to get all their ducks in a row, but come on, make some announcements for gods sake about this so called "entertainment district". Get some tenants on board, give them huge tax incentives and let's start moving some dirt.

btw....is the President Hotel still a go or is pretty much a dead deal. I haven't seen any activity there for 6 months. Not a good sign. Why doesn't UMB or Commerce step up and take a chance and give the guy a freaking loan.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!