Grinders

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Grinders

Post by loftguy »

Stretch, I was at Grinders last night (friday).  WTF did you say to the waitresses?  They were ON IT!

I've most always been fine with the service I get from your crew, but they were working machines.  It was almost bizarre.  Wasn't at the bar to see if food prep was equally inspired.  My girlfriend did not know about the conversation on this forum about Grinders and she asked what I thought had gotten into the staff.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

thanks for noticing...I put the fear of my foot up there ass..No, we had a few discussions, I also posted the forum notes..and said lets get it together..Anton my partner was on his hands and knees scrubbing the bathrooms,I think they see we will do if they dont or get others to replace them..by the way for this forum, hot news.......GRINDERS has partnered with PIPELINE promotions , (the guy that owns the Bottleneck ) for a new music venue out behind grinders, soon to be called THE CROSSROADS,Huge band selection coming soon..new stage, covered....should be a great year for outdoor music in downtown.
P&L Free since 2008
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Awesome move, great score.  Look forward to the lineup.
ecodiva
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ecodiva »

Okay Stretch, you (or Anton) are on the cleanliness issue, glad to hear it. Can you solve the ever present sewer gas odor as well? BTW- A month or so ago, I overheard one of your staff talking to a friend at another bar about the state of the basement prep area.  Apparently it's a filthy nightmare.
Our service has always been satisfactory (thanks to Anton's attention) and we really like some of your food (wings, Philly's and tots) We like your beer and the tasting nights are a hoot! Wines? Not at all. Chardonnay in particular; get a new selection.  We aren't seeking a 20 page wine list, just a drinkable choice.
We love Grinder's ambiance (or lack of it) and the anti-Bush theme but not the filth and odor.
You've got a great location, just don't overlook the little things. It can take a long time to come back from a bad image.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

great news!  more music, more people, better for everyone!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

I also cant agree more about our bountiful selection of fine wines..They go bad.. we dont have a large wine drinking crowd..sorry, I will look into what they are doing about it.. as far as the basement, It is clean.. have you ever been in a kitchen? dirty then cleaned at nite, it varies from day to day, we have deliveries throughout the day , kegs, vegtables etc.. all have boxes, food prep area is cleaned.  we have never as far as I know been written up from the health dept. on cleanliness.. I think just quick storage on the wrong shelf or somthn. like that.. ever been in the peanut,mikes,or even jack stack.. all ok but.. at the end of the nite dealt with ..if not seroius repremand at grinders..I HATE BUGS.. we have a service that comes reguarly. Please bring in a wine list, and all people have mentioned I agree we can work on..By the way I dont run the restaurant..I just stop in and point..thats where the tyrant image also comes from..I have the theory to many chiefs...can screw things up(not a football anology)..
P&L Free since 2008
ecodiva
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ecodiva »

Thanks for your honesty and willingness to address these issues.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I am very impressed with Stretch's responses to the forum's observations. Grinder's deserves to be packed with forumers every night! I'll make it a point to visit when I return to Kansas City. But I do expect a clean Ladies' room.  :D  And I prefer wine over beer. (Apologies to the beer nuts.)
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Expecting a clean bathroom at a good bar is like expecting them not to sing at an opera.

At least, for the men's room.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the only restaurant i've ever been inside that consistently has clean bathrooms is mcdonalds - because they are required to scour it like every hour.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

All bathrooms should have drains in the floor.
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

I was in Grinders on Saturday night and the service was awesome.  Lacy was our server and she was great (as always).
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

bahua wrote: Expecting a clean bathroom at a good bar is like expecting them not to sing at an opera.

At least, for the men's room.
I couldn't agree more.  The filthier the men's room, the better I know the bar is.  :)    Too clean usually = bland corporate mentality and overpriced beer.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

catfish1812 wrote: I was in Grinders on Saturday night and the service was awesome.  Lacy was our server and she was great (as always).
She's da bomb.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

scooterj wrote: I couldn't agree more.   The filthier the men's room, the better I know the bar is.  :)    Too clean usually = bland corporate mentality and overpriced beer.

Nothing must make you happier than having to wipe your ass with pissy toilet paper. ;-)
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

doublepost, bleh
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Moniker wrote: Nothing must make you happier than having to wipe your ass with pissy toilet paper. ;-)
ah, life's simple pleasures.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I always expect the worst from a men's room comode at bars.  That way if you do find yourself in an "emergency situation" at the bar, it will be a pleasant bonus if you are fortunate enough to find something that is actually hygenic enough to sit upon. 
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I always expect the worst from a men's room comode at bars.  That way if you do find yourself in an "emergency situation" at the bar, it will be a pleasant bonus if you are fortunate enough to find something that is actually hygenic enough to sit upon. 
I generally use the women's restroom when that is an issue. I have no shame.  8)
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Moniker wrote: I generally use the women's restroom when that is an issue. I have no shame.  8)
Take a dump and get a couple phone numbers......2 birds with one stone.